Starcraft 2 and integrated graphics options

tomsop

Sep 24, 2012
Can this program run satisfactorily on haswell 4670 with 4600 Iris Pro?

I'm thinking of building a new computer but really have little use for 3-D games except for StarCraft two and I also read that perhaps the integrated graphics 5200 maybe better for running sc2 but is the integrated graphics chip on i5-4670 good enough or do I need to get an i7? I am sure someone will tell me to get a graphics card and pair with i5 for the cost of i7 but to save money I would like to get an I5 CPU to run StarCraft two on the integrated graphics? Is this good enough or do I need to upgrade to a graphics card. I can't find any benchmarks for the situation and the article about using integrated graphics on the iMac involved the more pricier CPU so if anybody had experience with my situation or advice I would appreciate it.

Spidre

Nov 6, 2013
i5 and i7 will have the same graphics power. I think you will be fine running sc2 on low settings, but it would be a lot smoother if you bought a cheap graphics card with it.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
my hd4000 ran it just fine with the shader options set to low. you should be fine with the 4670

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
forgot to add, that was at 1080p with everything else pretty much set to high or max. it's just the shader option that affected performance the most

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
You might even be able to get medium settings out of it, especially if you drop the resolution a little. Try it - just don't plan to enjoy it for long. ;)

edit: cool to hear, V!

Aug 11, 2008
Can this program run satisfactorily on haswell 4670 with 4600 Iris Pro?

I'm thinking of building a new computer but really have little use for 3-D games except for StarCraft two and I also read that perhaps the integrated graphics 5200 maybe better for running sc2 but is the integrated graphics chip on i5-4670 good enough or do I need to get an i7? I am sure someone will tell me to get a graphics card and pair with i5 for the cost of i7 but to save money I would like to get an I5 CPU to run StarCraft two on the integrated graphics? Is this good enough or do I need to upgrade to a graphics card. I can't find any benchmarks for the situation and the article about using integrated graphics on the iMac involved the more pricier CPU so if anybody had experience with my situation or advice I would appreciate it.

Yea, I am that someone. You might be able to run it on the igp, but if you are spending the money for a haswell i5 quad system, it seems a shame to make do with the igp for gaming. Something like a HD7770 for less than 100.00 should give 2 or 3 times the performance of the igp. I would qualify this statement in that if you are running a SFF system, I can see using the igp perhaps, but in a conventional desktop, I would go with a low end discrete card.

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
Yea, I am that someone. You might be able to run it on the igp, but if you are spending the money for a haswell i5 quad system, it seems a shame to make do with the igp for gaming. Something like a HD7770 for less than 100.00 should give 2 or 3 times the performance of the igp. I would qualify this statement in that if you are running a SFF system, I can see using the igp perhaps, but in a conventional desktop, I would go with a low end discrete card.

Starcraft 2 needs all the single threaded performance it can get if you actually plan on playing an intense match without dropping below 60 fps.

Both Diablo III and Starcraft 2 were designed specifically targeting the HD3000 (and by extension the HD4000)

You'll be fine.

Aug 11, 2008
Starcraft 2 needs all the single threaded performance it can get if you actually plan on playing an intense match without dropping below 60 fps.

Both Diablo III and Starcraft 2 were designed specifically targeting the HD3000 (and by extension the HD4000)

You'll be fine.

I guess the best thing would be to try first on the igp. If performance is not what the op is looking for, he can add a discrete card easily. In my experience, mostly single player, I was gpu bound with a hd7770. I still feel the experience would be greatly improved with a discrete card, but the best wat to find out is just to try it I guess.

Scarier

Jul 1, 2010
I have my i7 3770k oc to 4.5ghz, and at the time I was searching for a video card. To my surprise the integrated video card ran Heart of the Swarm perfectly fine if I turned of or lower the majority of graphics options that required GPU assistance, (look at the pop up description when you click the check boxes).

In fact, it ran so well in 3v3 online matches that I almost forgo a discrete card. Now I just purchased a really cheap HD6970 and for the most part the game is supersmooth almost maxed out.