Star Wolves 3 coming soon.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
As big a fan as I am of all the space genres, its weird I heard nothing about this until I saw it on Steam.
http://www.1cpublishing.eu/game/star-wolves-3-civil-war/overview
You can preorder now and save a few bucks, also get 1 and 2 for free apparently.

Discuss?

If it's like Freelancer, I'll buy it. Though.. it doesn't look like it's a combat sim at all.

I am so ready for the next Freelancer-esque game.. X3:Terran Conflict was okay.. but didn't 'hit the spot' like Freelancer did.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
If it's like Freelancer, I'll buy it. Though.. it doesn't look like it's a combat sim at all.

I am so ready for the next Freelancer-esque game.. X3:Terran Conflict was okay.. but didn't 'hit the spot' like Freelancer did.

I <3 freelancer.

sure I made my own server and edited cargo ships to make trading possible.....but it was fun, and combat was good!

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Star Wolves 2 was more like Nexus: The Jupiter Incident than anything else.

A good RTS RPG space based. Played well but had bugs and never really hit it off with the public. It was also extremely hard from what I remember. More akin to BG2/DA:O with frequent pauses to issue orders etc.

If I didnt have so many good games in the pipeline, I'd have jumped on this straight away (especially if I got 1 and 2 for free)

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Star Wolves 3: Civil War is a sequel to the popular real time strategy with RPG elements. Original large-scale scenario, closely tied with the first part of intergalactic epic helps the player influence the ongoing events and foreordain one of many endings. Free roam, free mission selection, free team forming &#8211; the world of Star Wolves waits for its heroes.

Guessing it's not a sim at all.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK, just ordered it and have been playing Star Wolves 1 and 2.
More like Homeworld than anything else. You've got a huge galaxy to explore, but its mostly empty. You have a mothership and fleet. The mothership is by far the most important. Its the toughest and also needs to stay alive or else you lose. Instead of having large fleets with hundred of disposable units, you have a handful of wingmen and proper management of them is key to winning. You can customize your ships but there are a limited number of hardpoints and not much equipment anyways. If you lose one of them just make sure somebody picks up the escape pod and takes it back home. Then you can assign the pilot to another ship and arm it. No problems there.
The only RPG elements involve your character leveling up occasionally and putting stats into skills. And as I've said a dozen times before: Stats are NOT the defining characteristic of an RPG.

The Freelancer elements come from bouncing around the galaxy on your own whim and picking up jobs where you see fit. You get paid for them (also for anything you salvage from pirates) and then buy more ships and goodies. In Star Wolves 2 you can also hire wingmen and mercenary teams (short term).
Navigating around the galaxy feels a lot like Freelancer in that its tedious and boring, and you will often get hit by random pirates to keep the "action" alive. Mostly its just irritating.

But in game commands are almost exactly the same as Homeworld. You can either launch your ships or keep them docked while the mothership does all the hard work.

Voice acting is horrid. I think they devs are Russian or something similar. Videos are cheesy. Music is pretty cool. Graphics are decent but not mind-blowing. Homeworld 2 and Freelancer are far better. Overall I am underwhelmed. The campaign is weak and nothing else stands out. Am hoping Star Wolves 3 is much better, otherwise I just wasted thirty bucks.

Also, its hard. REALLY hard. When you get hit by a small group of enemies they have the magical ability to blast all your motherships shields and most of her armor. Doesnt matter if everybody has loads of anti-missile systems and you set your fighters to defend against missiles. Nor does it matter much if you have a dozen mercenary ships. There arent enough defensive systems for the mothership at stores throughout the star systems. It was frustrating.
I got killed so many times I finally gave up this morning.

Last edited:

RoloMather

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2008
It's ok that you wasted $30.

I once bought BF2 for $50 and never even opened the box. It's still around somewhere. Got to find it again.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Also, its hard. REALLY hard. When you get hit by a small group of enemies they have the magical ability to blast all your motherships shields and most of her armor. Doesnt matter if everybody has loads of anti-missile systems and you set your fighters to defend against missiles. Nor does it matter much if you have a dozen mercenary ships. There arent enough defensive systems for the mothership at stores throughout the star systems. It was frustrating.
I got killed so many times I finally gave up this morning.

Snipped a lot of your post. A lot of it mirrors the very basics I remembered of the game.

You are often on lesser footing than your opponents in every match up and randomly 1 shot will obliterate or nearly obliterate your ships or your mothership.

I recall using cheats to play onto later levels and got rather bored with it.... especially as even with invulnerability cheats, certain things took forever to die.