Star Wars Jedi : Fallen Order

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Do I sense a bit of ginger racism here boys?

I think there is also some uncanny valley stuff going on, but in general the guy is kind of creepy looking. The lady that is your ex jedi helper is also strange looking due to her character model having anime character sized eyes that make her look bizarre.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I still haven't beaten the last boss. Don't know if I will now though without dropping difficulty. Overall a very good game. Whoever said it's only 10 hrs is wrong. I have over 17 hours logged.

I recognized the character from shameless too. Didn't bother me playing as him but I wasn't expecting it because I was thinking of shameless the whole time lol.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I still haven't beaten the last boss. Don't know if I will now though without dropping difficulty. Overall a very good game. Whoever said it's only 10 hrs is wrong. I have over 17 hours logged.

Sadly haven't been able to pick it back up in a few weeks, and I don't remember where I left off. Is it worth trying to 100% all of the areas or just some of them?

I probably have around 20 hours logged but that would include exploration and XP farming.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Sadly haven't been able to pick it back up in a few weeks, and I don't remember where I left off. Is it worth trying to 100% all of the areas or just some of them?

I probably have around 20 hours logged but that would include exploration and XP farming.
I never went and completed 100% of the areas since most of the stuff you got were just cosmetic items. But I'm sure you can find force and stim upgrades. I know there is a whole underground ice cave area that I didn't go through. I discovered it by accident once and figured I'll come back because the game should bring you here; as it was taking you to other parts too. But in the end I don't think it actually forced you to go that route.

Right now im looking for other games to play because all I have left here is the final boss fight. Tried many times but didn't want to lower difficulty yet.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I've put about 10 hours into the game. I'd give it a C+ so far. The game is not immersive at all and the characters are very poorly done and dialogue is incredibly boring. The graphics are fine, the gameplay is fine, there aren't a ton of bugs and there is a basic upgrade system that feels very safe and easy for anyone. I think safe is the perfect word to sum up this game. There were no risks taken, everything in the game has been done before and it won't offend or upset anyone. It is actually fairly difficult on a keyboard, it might be easier on a controller, but it won't change my basic issues with the game.

That being said, my favorite things in a video game are lightsaber battles, force powers and slaughtering storm troopers, which it does just well enough for me to probably bother finishing it. But don't buy this game for full price unless you want to be pretty disappointed.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Right now im looking for other games to play because all I have left here is the final boss fight. Tried many times but didn't want to lower difficulty yet.

The fight is really cheap; I'll be honest I don't think I'd have the patience to try it on a higher difficulty. I couldn't seem to get the timing down for a number of attacks and it seemed I was just a titch too slow.

Got around to finishing up my first play over the past weekend. While that final encounter (mentioned above) was total bs nonsensery the ensuing events kind of made up for it... Overall a pretty good game and I'm not really huge on the franchise; haven't played anything serious in the SW galaxy since the Gamecube days. Before that... Dark Forces on Win95 (with no sound because i couldn't figure it out). Never really got that good at the combat save for a few smooth encounters but it was forgiving enough for me to press on--at least on the normal difficulty.

Last edited:

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
So i started playing and I can't get over the fact that the character is based on the actor who played Joker from Gotham. He looks creepy as fuck and I keep thinking I'm playing the bad guy. It's just unpleasant looking at this ultra highdef version of this guy. Wish I could change the model they used.

This x 1000. That actor is a creepy and ugly in a way that I want to beat him like a redheaded step son. Sure, he played a great joker in Gotham, but he is totally not the part for a Jedi or anything in the Star Wars universe.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I got this game on sale on Steam a few months back. Played through it, really enjoyed it. Would have felt I got my money's worth if I bought it at full price.

I'm a Star Wars fan, loved the Knights of the Old Republic games back in the day. This isn't a branching RPG like KOTOR, but I feel the story is still up to par with that. I was very invested in Cal's story, of the supporting characters, of the villains. It really feels like a Star Wars experience. And a lot of that is owed to the excellent cinematic direction and performance capture acting. I'm sure Fallen Order is hardly the first game to use these techniques, but it's the most extensive one that I've ever played. And it's used to great effect.

(late game spoilers warning!)

So screw the haters in this thread, Cameron Monaghan makes a great Jedi. :p Though maybe it helps that I've never watched Gotham.

Gameplay wise, I think it's a lot of fun. I haven't played a lot of action games mentioned as influences on FO, like Dark Souls and Sekiro, so I can't say I have the most refined taste. But to me, the combat feels fluid, really capturing the feeling of being a Jedi, using a lightsaber to beat down stormtroopers or duel fallen Jedi. For me there was a rather steep learning curve at times (Ogdo Bogdo grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) but I got the hang of it before long and found it all very satisfying. Played through the whole game on the basic Jedi Knight difficulty and enjoyed it, started a second playthrough on Jedi Master and have progressed through it without major issue.

And the level design deserves a mention. Very expansive levels, lots of nooks and crannies to find secrets. There's lots of eye candy, with scenic views and atmospheric caves and tombs (played maxed out on PC, of course). The game's very sense of movement just makes it feel nice to go around exploring. There's no fast travel back to your ship to leave the level, which some may find annoying, but I thought was worth it. You tend to have new abilities when going back to your ship that lets you unlock new secrets, and it makes the whole experience feel seamless.

I say that, though the experience isn't totally seamless. I waited a few months to get the game, so I didn't have to deal with a lot of the initial bugs and glitches. But sometimes the platforming got a little irritating, like with all the sliding. There's lots of secrets to find...but they're mostly cosmetics for Cal, BD-1, or the ship that have no impact on gameplay. The Force echoes and stim upgrades you find are a bit more exciting, but still, there could have been a lot more variety and gameplay impact to the secrets. Another thing that I...don't necessarily think is a criticism of the game, but stands to be expanded upon in the sequels, is the lightsaber duels. I think the foundational lightsaber mechanics are great, the setup for each duel is dramatic. However, each fight takes place in a flat open arena. I think back to Empire Strikes Back or The Phantom Menace, and the dynamic nature of where the fight took place and how it progressed. If Fallen Order gets a sequel -- and it certainly looks set to -- then I think that's something they could expand upon.

That's another thing worth mentioning, that this game sort of feels like a miracle. EA has made no secret that they have a distaste for traditional single player games sold for a one-time purchase. They want to ring as much money out of the player as possible with lootboxes and microtransactions. The Battlefront games have been poisoned with that, and Visceral Studios' "Ragtag" project was infamously strangled because it was a single player game without that sort of monetization model. Jedi Fallen Order is mercifully free of any such predatory practices. It's not a reason to buy the game if you still don't think it's very good, but it's worth praising Respawn for rejecting any pressure to incorporate those things into the game. They even recently did a completely free update where they added features like a New Game + mode, a combat challenge mode, and a couple other cosmetic additions. Again, completely free. Some bean counter at EA must have had a fit.

On the technical side of things, like I said earlier, the game looks fantastic and overall runs well. There's been some discussion about the game's asset and environment streaming really being demanding on I/O, causing severe hitches on hard drives and even some on slower SSDs. I'm playing off a SATA SSD, and while overall the game is smooth, I do get the occasional hitch, and monitoring the game in Afterburner on a second screen shows quite a few frametime hiccups. I'm considering installing a NVMe SSD and transferring the game over to that just to see if that really irons things out. One thing that really hampers performance though and probably comes down to being a bug is Bluetooth. I prefer to play the game with an Xbox One controller, and I have Bluetooth on my PC's wireless adapter, so I was playing via Bluetooth. But I was getting really noticeable stutter, even on my new Ryzen 3800X/Radeon 5700 XT rig, where Afterburner was reporting a framerate still north of 100 but frametimes were the absolute pits. I'd seen mention online of Bluetooth giving the game issues, so I turned off bluetooth and connected the controller via USB cable. Massive improvement to frametimes, so much less hitching. So yeah, bluetooth controller support in the game is somehow borked.

Anyways. This is the best Star Wars experience I've had since at least Rogue One, possibly the best since KOTOR. Any Star Wars fan owes it to themselves to play this game, totally worth the time and money.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
My copy is in the mail, and will be here Wednesday. Looking forward to playing it.

Reactions: Red Hawk

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I still have not beat the last boss in this game. I may have to drop it down to normal difficulty to do so. Kind of a bummer that I got through the whole game on Jedi master and now I have to lower it to see the end cutscene lol.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I still have not beat the last boss in this game. I may have to drop it down to normal difficulty to do so. Kind of a bummer that I got through the whole game on Jedi master and now I have to lower it to see the end cutscene lol.

I actually had a harder time with the prison battle than the last boss (also on hard). The last guy can be cheesed for most of the battle up until the last bit, where its a bit more luck.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011

Have you found all the health stims? It could help your chances to gather them all. Though one annoying thing I guess is that once you've started the final level, you're committed and can't go back to a previous save.

I actually had a harder time with the prison battle than the last boss (also on hard). The last guy can be cheesed for most of the battle up until the last bit, where its a bit more luck.

The hardest fight for me was Ogdo Bogdo, died sooooo many times. The first full encounter with the Second Sister and the duel with the Ninth Sister gave me problems, but the game got progressively easier for me as it went on. The last couple encounters with the Second Sister were the easiest boss fights for me in the whole game. Was playing on Jedi Knight, so definitely makes it worth going back through on Master or Grand Master for a greater challenge.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The hardest fight for me was Ogdo Bogdo, died sooooo many times.

I died to him a bunch of times. But then I ran away once, and noticed he would never go past the threshold of the opening. So you can just sit there and hit him without having to worry about him charging you.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So screw the haters in this thread, Cameron Monaghan makes a great Jedi. :p Though maybe it helps that I've never watched Gotham.

Just want to comment on this:

No, it has nothing to do with watching Gotham or not.

Watch Shameless, then try to erase the manic mode, gogo stripper shorts Ethan from your brain and imagine this guy as a Jedi.

lol, yeah. good luck. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Red Hawk

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Just want to comment on this:

No, it has nothing to do with watching Gotham or not.

Watch Shameless, then try to erase the manic mode, gogo stripper shorts Ethan from your brain and imagine this guy as a Jedi.

lol, yeah. good luck. :D
Haven't seen that show either so no problem for me. :p

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Have not seen Shameless, and had no idea who this guy is. That said; This is the hardest I have geeked out in a very long time. I have about 4 hrs of game time, and I am probably where most are in a 3rd of that time. As I have spent in inordinate amount of time standing around looking and listening.

Took one look, used the force, sprinted by it, grab the power up, then WASTED! Playing Lego Star Wars with my son bitd taught me you have to power up to get in secret areas and such. Went far enough to get BD-1 and the wall run. Dropped onto the pipe from the cliff above the entrance where the meditation station is at. Wall ran to where the shortcut elevator was, made my way back to the lair, and killed it, took both stimpacks.

Game is fun and challenging, without being frustrating. Been using the m&kb so much my 360 controller skills are rusty. Cannot see playing a game like this without a controller though.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Game is fun and challenging, without being frustrating. Been using the m&kb so much my 360 controller skills are rusty. Cannot see playing a game like this without a controller though.

Yeah, I am typically a M&K player, but this game is nearly impossible to play well on a keyboard. So used my XBOne controller.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Its $26.39 on Humble for monthly subscribers. Considered it, as well as Control which is $31.44. But I have tons of others.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I like that this game rewards you for practice. I will kill a mini-boss, meditate, until I have mastered the takedown. Meanwhile XP adds up and you get another skill point. When you run into one of those again, it is gravy.

Story is meh, not really enthralling me. But I am enjoying the platforming and combat. This is the game I've been looking for.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I will say for the story it's sort of easy to miss the plot reasons of why Cal is hopping from planet to planet. It's more about the personal journey for Cal (and Cere) as they're on this adventure.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I will say for the story it's sort of easy to miss the plot reasons of why Cal is hopping from planet to planet. It's more about the personal journey for Cal (and Cere) as they're on this adventure.
Now that I have finished it, I understand what you are saying. Epic cameo at the end too.

Have to agree with some of the critics; at some point, a fast travel system should have appeared. It took the action from intense to tedious.