Star Wars Jedi : Fallen Order

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I hate Tomb Raider. Too bad. I loved the Dark Forces through Force Unleashed 2 games.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I think the most frustrating part for me so far is the checkpoint save system. Sometimes you have to go through a long jumping sequence just before a boss fight. Its super annoying to have to do those over and over again when you're getting beat. Congrats you died. Go waste 5 minutes before you can try again.

I haven't experienced this yet. You either are further ahead of me in the game or you missed a meditation point. What boss are you referring to?

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I haven't experienced this yet. You either are further ahead of me in the game or you missed a meditation point. What boss are you referring to?

I think the worst one is on zeffo where you have to climb up from the bottom of this shuttle landing pad before fighting a boss. There is no closer meditation point even with backtracking through shortcuts you can open. There is one on kashyyyk that drove me nuts too. Its not physically far, but its a long combat sequence. FWIW I've been noticing a trend of them letting you save right after boss battles, but not before.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Gah!

Good thing I asked.

Dark Souls anything is just not for me.

Thank you.

Well, if you turn the difficulty down its way easier that dark souls. It also doesn't have near the depth that dark souls does. But both are 3p melee games that try and be more than a button masher.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Gah!

Good thing I asked.

Dark Souls anything is just not for me.

Thank you.

I think comparing it to Dark Souls is a little to general. The combat is 99% melee and mostly block, roll or parry. Something that even God of War or the latest Assassin Creeds have. I found it very basic compared to the complexity in Dark Souls. There is nearly zero thought to how armor, shields, stats and weapons mater in a battle. They aren't varied in any way since everyone is playing with the exact same build.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
I think comparing it to Dark Souls is a little to general. The combat is 99% melee and mostly block, roll or parry. Something that even God of War or the latest Assassin Creeds have. I found it very basic compared to the complexity in Dark Souls. There is nearly zero thought to how armor, shields, stats and weapons mater in a battle. They aren't varied in any way since everyone is playing with the exact same build.
Agree. And thanks to the terrible checkpoint system, I switched to playing on hard to story mode. Story is semi-interesting to theres that.

Given the positive press, a bit disappointed in the game. Expected more than just a linear button mash that really really really really wants you to use a game-pad.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Not sure why so many people don't like it. I think it's a pretty darn good star wars game. It's a button masher if you play on story. I'm playing on Jedi master and you do actually have to parry/block properly or you get hit hard. The story is interesting and some of the boss fights are pretty cool as far as I've seen. I've made it to the snow planet and I think I'm at about 20 hrs so far and not even being close to done yet.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Not sure why so many people don't like it. I think it's a pretty darn good star wars game. It's a button masher if you play on story. I'm playing on Jedi master and you do actually have to parry/block properly or you get hit hard. The story is interesting and some of the boss fights are pretty cool as far as I've seen. I've made it to the snow planet and I think I'm at about 20 hrs so far and not even being close to done yet.

Making a game hard is about more than just giving enemies a stupid HP pool and having them hit like a truck. Its a pretty simple twitch game at high levels and overly punishing on death in a lot of places. If it were anything but star wars I think people would be a lot more critical about the mechanics.

I think the worst sin is that on higher difficulty it doesn't make you FEEL like a jedi. Every storm trooper with a baton is a serious threat. Inquisitors being deadly, or even their special 'death' squad troopers, but rank and file troopers just feels wrong.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'll agree that you don't really feel like a Jedi. You are suppose to use your push/pull force powers more though but I don't use them enough in combat.

The game does remind me of sekiro on hardest difficulty and that game was similar but just more polished in combat. I guess I'm not sure what people were expecting out of this game but to me it felt a little different. A mix of uncharted and a mix of trying to be like sekiro/nioh with a decent story.

I really think they should patch the Grand Master difficulty. The parry/block window is insanely small. For quality of life they should have also added character traits to level up a bit as now all you do is unlock combat abilities but you probably don't use any of them anyway.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I feel like the parry window is small on normal difficulty lol. I've been playing for weeks and still can't seem to get the timing right; it's rather frustrating because some enemies are more annoying than anything. I guess I don't mind being a weak scrub, since Kal comes across as inexperienced anyway, but if I've more than a handful of enemies attacking I'm popping stims like a noob. First time I fought the damn knight brothers the fight lasted like 10 minutes because I couldn't seem to inflict any worthy damage, even after a successful parry. I'm probably just the suck though.

I still like the game though, even with it's rather cheap "knock-off" DS mechanics pasted into the SW universe. Those wookies sure look terrible though, like wtf

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I feel like the parry window is small on normal difficulty lol. I've been playing for weeks and still can't seem to get the timing right; it's rather frustrating because some enemies are more annoying than anything. I guess I don't mind being a weak scrub, since Kal comes across as inexperienced anyway, but if I've more than a handful of enemies attacking I'm popping stims like a noob. First time I fought the damn knight brothers the fight lasted like 10 minutes because I couldn't seem to inflict any worthy damage, even after a successful parry. I'm probably just the suck though.

I still like the game though, even with it's rather cheap "knock-off" DS mechanics pasted into the SW universe. Those wookies sure look terrible though, like wtf
I still struggle with the parry on Jedi master difficulty you aren't alone. I usually suck at dark souls type games. I got pretty far in sekiro but not near the half of the game, only because I used a walkthrough YouTube series to guide me where to go and get certain abilities or what routes to take to end up with certain bosses in the areas.

I'm glad I can at least progress in this game at s moderate pace without getting super frustrated.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I think my biggest problem is it just felt unfair. Enemies could easily down you in less hits than you could with a lightsaber. (wtf)Then they would regularly stun lock you and take 3/4 of your health in one combo if you miss a single parry. Plus there are enemies that would spawn under you and do the whole stunlock thing.

Combined with the long walk back to the hard fights at time and it felt like I was wasting 5min for one wrong button press at times.I started on master. It wasn't that I couldn't win fights. I actually went to dathomir first and did okay there on master. I was down to story mode by the end just because I got tired of how punishing the game was.

What is also weird for me just from a narrative standpoint is that if we're supposed to be a weak Jedi, and that's the reason why fights are so hard, why do we go head on into every fight? I'd be looking for environmental hazards I could use to my advantage, or sneaky ways I could bypass large groups of troops. But no, you go straight in every time. There was a single level where I was able to get giant plants to eat stormtroopers and it was great. Once in awhile you get to force push them off a ledge if you're lucky. Their pathing is a little sticky to surfaces.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
What really can be frustrating for me is the targeting and camera not being real helpful--if you have regular troopers shooting from behind and you're trying to deal with melee attacks, it becomes really tedious. Sure, try and optimize your position at the beginning of a fight, but more often times than not the target lock and toggle makes that more difficult, if not next to impossible.

And to the point made earlier, yes. It does feel unfair when you can't inflict comparable damage in the same amount of successive hits. The purge troopers or bounty hunters are good examples of this. If I miss a parry or don't dodge a "un-counterable" attack (those are hard to decipher sometimes) my health gets knocked down to a near critical level too fast.

Reactions: iwajabitw

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
What really can be frustrating for me is the targeting and camera not being real helpful--if you have regular troopers shooting from behind and you're trying to deal with melee attacks, it becomes really tedious. Sure, try and optimize your position at the beginning of a fight, but more often times than not the target lock and toggle makes that more difficult, if not next to impossible.

And to the point made earlier, yes. It does feel unfair when you can't inflict comparable damage in the same amount of successive hits. The purge troopers or bounty hunters are good examples of this. If I miss a parry or don't dodge a "un-counterable" attack (those are hard to decipher sometimes) my health gets knocked down to a near critical level too fast.
I get what you are saying now. Made it to the end of the game and can't beat the last boss. Her moves are way too quick and the button press reaction time in game for your character is delayed. Sekiro combat was similar but the difference in sekiro was that your actions were immediate when attacking or blocking.

I may have to drop it from Jedi master even though I've beaten every other boss and mini boss without issues. I haven't felt any other boss moves were cheap but this one they sure feel like they are.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Starting the game ... going to Effo, first real combat scenario.

Is greeted with loads of stormtroopers some melee some ranged, at the same time. I have option to either parry or attack .. so I am going to take ranged damage when I lower the guard to finish off those melee's. No way around it, just the way it is. Bad.
Getting owned by surprise ram. Respawn 5 minutes earlier. Bad.
Getting past ram, mowing through troopers, get owned by trooper with surprise rocket launcher (first). Respawn 5 minutes earlier. Bad.
I know I dont have a lot of patience, I pretty much want my AAA experience to be AAA out of the door... But then again it is what we pay for is it not?
Its on the back burner for now.

eidt: AI, watch two critters go "afk" and engage in scripted repetition circus synchronously

Last edited:

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
So i started playing and I can't get over the fact that the character is based on the actor who played Joker from Gotham. He looks creepy as fuck and I keep thinking I'm playing the bad guy. It's just unpleasant looking at this ultra highdef version of this guy. Wish I could change the model they used.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So i started playing and I can't get over the fact that the character is based on the actor who played Joker from Gotham. He looks creepy as fuck and I keep thinking I'm playing the bad guy. It's just unpleasant looking at this ultra highdef version of this guy. Wish I could change the model they used.

I still just think of him as Ian from Shameless, which makes it even weirder. Looking at the ads, I don't want to play this game because I can't see Ian being some Jedi.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I still just think of him as Ian from Shameless, which makes it even weirder. Looking at the ads, I don't want to play this game because I can't see Ian being some Jedi.

Yeah and the character looks almost exactly like him in incredible detail. A lot of the rest of the game feels a little lazy on the graphics side, but they really nailed him...