Star Wars Jedi : Fallen Order

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
So its an Origin Premier if you have a sub.
Its also available on Epic, and Steam.

My thoughts so far...
Game is done on Unreal Engine
Tomb Raider meets Star Wars, quite litterally.
The game plays like a Tomb Raider series with agility.

Its not a single button mash, you actually need to time your blocks/dodges for combat, and use force powers properly to solve puzzles.
Overall i think its OK, it feels really linear compared to RDR2, but the game is a whole lot more stable on several levels then RDR2.

Last edited:
Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I don't play many video games anymore, but being a Star Wars geek, this game caught my attention.

I might wait till it goes on sale, but this will likely be my first game purchase in about 3 years or so. The trailer looks pretty cool.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Not a huge Star Wars fan (OK, not one at all), but I love the Tomb Raider/Uncharted genre of exploration, backtracking, etc. Also, reading that there is some Dark Souls influence too. Thinking strongly of picking this up.

I try to support Respawn when I can and this is one way to do that. Their Titanfall 2 single player campaign was amazing.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I did hear the campaign is relatively short, coming in at 10-12 hours. So the question is the game worth $50 or should I just pay $15 for a month of Origin Premier?

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
It also uses EA's Denuvo implementation which has hampered some performance reviews, so... yay! :weary:

TPU Conclusion snippet
Benchmarking was problematic because the game uses EA's version of Denuvo which requires reactivation for every hardware change, including for the GPUs. On Steam, you can swap graphics cards as often as you want without reactivation. The problem is that Origin only gives you four activations per 24 hours (yes, not five, I tested). In order to get at least a handful of cards into our comparisons, I grabbed a second Origin Premier subscription, which at $15 per month is the most affordable way to check out this game.

I will update this article with more benchmarks after the Denuvo activations have reset in 24 hours.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
$15 for a month of Origin Premier?

i would recommend this....
As the game so far has very little replayability.

I bought the yearly sub at $99 which has had already paid for itself, with Tropico 6 / Anthem / Vampyr / Jedi : Fallen Order.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Not a bad game, but very generic. Lacks the depth and variety of Dark Souls and Tomb Raider is more stealth + gun play. I wish they would have at least made the light saber upgradable because the only progression is getting a few new Jedi skills and upping health/stims or force. It's a 7/10 for me, but has the potential to be much more. I'm wondering if they were pressured by EA to get something out quickly so had to keep the systems to a minimum.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i watched 30 minutes of "Let's Play" and stopped in disgust. this game is a QTE platformer with zero IQ required.

At one point, there was a storm trooper which caught the main character on a train. the trooper pointed his gun at the hero and asked for identification, that was when the player was supposed to engage the QTE to chop him up with his light-saber, but instead the player waited, and waited, and waited, and nothing happened. seriously?? is this the state of gaming in 2020??

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Sounds pretty disappointing, but I do like the Tomb Raider games, so maybe I'll try this when cheap. Then again, TR is easier to stay with because Camilla Luddington...Red-headed crazy dude from Shameless/wacked-out Joker dude as a Jedi in this game...eh, not so much.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Sounds pretty disappointing, but I do like the Tomb Raider games, so maybe I'll try this when cheap. Then again, TR is easier to stay with because Camilla Luddington...Red-headed crazy dude from Shameless/wacked-out Joker dude as a Jedi in this game...eh, not so much.

I do find that using the likeness of a known actor like him is very distracting. The game isn't detailed enough to pull it off so it just looks weird. At least Norman Reedus looks more convincing.

Reactions: Midwayman

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I do find that using the likeness of a known actor like him is very distracting. The game isn't detailed enough to pull it off so it just looks weird. At least Norman Reedus looks more convincing.
yeah, pretty much. I'm not sure if I will play Death Stranding (I'll likely get a PS5, so maybe), but that does look really slick. That's proper casting. ...this is like, Ian Gallager as a Jedi? really??

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
i watched 30 minutes of "Let's Play" and stopped in disgust. this game is a QTE platformer with zero IQ required.

At one point, there was a storm trooper which caught the main character on a train. the trooper pointed his gun at the hero and asked for identification, that was when the player was supposed to engage the QTE to chop him up with his light-saber, but instead the player waited, and waited, and waited, and nothing happened. seriously?? is this the state of gaming in 2020??
You're talking about the intro level. It's not a QTE. Its the tutorial telling you what to press to attack with your light saber.

I'm playing it on Jedi master difficulty and I'm about 2-3hrs in. Have not encountered many QTE's except one in the beginning because you obviously don't fight the villian boss there. Combat is more tactical like souls games or sekiro. Obviously sekiro is more fluid with combat but this one is also more forgiving.

The game does have a lot of platforming. So if you don't like that, you won't enjoy it much. Most reviews said it's like 20hrs long because early on you don't access some parts of the levels due to not having the necessary skills.

Again I find the first two difficulty options very easy but the Jedi master one I think provides a good challenge for the combat. It's definitely not a walk in the park.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Tomb raider meets star wars is a pretty good description, but honestly tomb raider is a much better game with more options and more in depth story. If you like frustrating 3rd person melee combat that's basically the same thing on repeat for the whole game, I guess this one is for you. The whole game is super linear and you're forced into melee confrontations. I keep hoping that there will be cool ways of dealing with enemies like environmental hazards, etc but nope. Straight beat em up. Without the star wars skin this would be completely forgettable game. I think the worst thing is that I never feel powerful. Too many enemies that conveniently have stun batons, etc that can stand up to a lightsaber AND have great fighting skills. This would have been much better as a horde type game where you can mow through the peons, but can get overwhelmed if you're not careful.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I think they were going for the souls, bloodborne type/Sekiro gameplay but threw in lots of plaforming. It's not supposed to be a tomb raider clone. Sekiro / blood borne style is mostly combat. They kind of fell short though by not being dynamic with the combat, not allowing you to chose and focus on combat style but I guess the focus was melee with light saber because your a Jedi. You do pick up some skills later but I don't think they are mostly combat focused.

Tomb raider to me is more of an action adventure game with lots of gunplay and weapons, same house as uncharted.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I am probably the most loyal star wars fan in existence. I love everything star wars. I grew up with the original trilogy, watched it a million times. Loved the prequels and so far I really like the last two. Granted, some are better than others, and certainly the expanded universe being cut from cannon is a bit of a change, but ultimately, I cannot get enough star wars.

THAT said... No way am I going to pay $50 for a game that seems like reskin of another game. With Star Wars rebels already covering a similar time-frame to this (the inquisitors, from what I can tell), I don't see much value in this.

One thing that I love about star wars isn't just the force. I would play a star wars game with no jedi/sith/force users at all. So a game about playing a Mandalorian bounty hunter, or a Trandoshan warrior is all right with me!

In a lot of ways, dark souls could be reskinned as Jango Fett as the main character, and all the human bosses could be Jedi/Sith/Force Users and could throw in some crazy large montster bosses of Rancor or whateverever else they want to use in the SW universe. That would be a game I would play and yes, I realize that I said i wouldn't play a reskin game just two paragraphs above. But a souls game... a REAL properly souls like reskin would be absolutely fabulous.

Yeah, I am rambling. Just saying, even the most die hard star wars fan isn't necessarily going to drop $50+ for this experience...

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Just drop 15 dollars in a 1 month sub to origin premier.
Chances are it will take you less then a month to finish, and it has very little replay in it, meaning no multi player.

The game is definitely worth 15 dollars.

Reactions: killster1

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
You might actually like it ArchAngel. I used to love Star Wars, for years simply putting that name on the title was enough to get me to open my wallet. I loved the OT, I tolerated the prequels (RotS was still a decent entry the others were meh), but the new trilogy I just can't stand. I've been very unhappy with Disney's stewardship of the franchise, I'm not a huge fan of the decision to basically kill the EU and frankly Rogue One imo was the only thing worth watching. That said I'd take Kyle Katarn's shoulderpad over anyday over RO if it meant wiping away JJ's originallity bankrupt entry and the trainwreck that was the Last Jedi.

Still I took a gamble because a friend told me to give it a chance despite having sworn off the IP and I really like it. I tend to like Uncharted/Tomb Raider-esque games with fight, platform, and occasionally do a puzzle loop. Its a good game and a even more so a good Star Wars game. Evenones price point is different but if your into Star Wars once the price drops I'd definitely recommend it.

Reactions: ArchAngel777

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
It definitely has some unique puzzles. I'm on the second planet now and well you can pick where to go and let's just say I picked the easier planet I think compared to what I've seen some streamers choose.

You have to use some force powers to help you on your puzzles and of course there's also plaforming involved. So I wouldn't say it's an exact clone of a souls game. Only souls and sekiro attribute is the combat and difficulty. Grand Master Jedi is the hardest and probably closer to sekiro in difficulty. Master Jedi is the one up from that and it's what im on. It's hard enough to make me upset at some points but not as hard as sekiro where I have to stop playing it and go look for walkthroughs and techniques.

I've wanted to play a good single player stars wars game for a while so I got it. I was hoping battle front had a campaign but I never got that game. I heard battlefront 2 has a story mode and since origin gave everyone a free month of access I guess I can try it out.

Reactions: ArchAngel777

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I'm disappionted in this game, I'm a big Star Wars fan so obviously I'm going to be playing a Star Wars game. But this feels like a Tomb Raider or Uncharted game with a lot of obstacle gameplay running and jumping/climbing through things and the cutscenes cover more than the combat does.

Glad I'm using a free 1 month EA Access premiere for this instead of shelling out $80 CAD. This is a very easy sale for EA since Star Wars is one of the biggest IP's on the planet, they don't have to worry about how people criticize the game, all they do is count the initial sales and move onto another game.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I rather like it, though I can't seem to get the timing down on the combat very well. It's probably just me, but the parrying mechanic and counter-attacking just seem to be off.

I think for me, it strikes a good balance between action and platforming--not so much in the story-telling department but I was never huge into SW universe.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

You should not base the gameplay of the game based off of its tutorial.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yes, I love when people judge a game by watching a Let's Play and then question the "state" of gaming... by not actually gaming.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've played 11 hours so far and I'm on the third planet. It's really turning out to be an enjoyable experience. The Jedi master difficulty I feel is fair for me. I don't think I would try grandmaster as I'm not that good. I'm really liking it and I am the type to buy all these new games, play a bit of each then not touch them again.

I'm fine with the platforming and jumping portion too as I've always been a fan of uncharted/tomb raider, etc. I do wish you could get and use different weapons.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I think the most frustrating part for me so far is the checkpoint save system. Sometimes you have to go through a long jumping sequence just before a boss fight. Its super annoying to have to do those over and over again when you're getting beat. Congrats you died. Go waste 5 minutes before you can try again.