Star Trek Online or Star Wars Old Republic?

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
Played both when they came out. Maxed out my character level in both in about 2 months, haven't touched either game since. Let me subscriptions run out. I see both are free to play now. Not sure if I log back into either, my characters will still be there or not. If you had to pick on, based on how much it has improved since launch, which would you start playing?

Thanks

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Both are bad imho but I found STWOR was better than STO, barely

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I enjoyed both.

STO has not added any good story content in the last year or so, just grindy stuff. So if the story missions were what you liked, stay away for now. There is supposed to be a major update in June or July so check again then.

Star Wars has continued to improve. The level cap has increased, skill trees have been revised, and there is one new story planet (Makeb) but it's a paid expansion. It doesn't have class-specific stories, just one story each for Republic and Empire.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
STO by a wide margin for me. I think the F2P ecosystem is much fairer and more entertaining to participate in for all parties, the gameplay more diverse and the graphics much better imo.

I suggest getting into a good fleet to help you learn the tactics for elite stf's and have a pool of good players to run them with, helps you grind reputation much faster.

The Romulan expansion (free btw)will change things up a little bit, it will go live very soon now.

Last edited:

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
I really liked both. STO is more of a space strategy with shitty ground combat thrown in. TOR is a far more traditional MMORPG with space-on-rails.

I have something like 600 hours into STO, though, so I'm going to recommend STO.

Don't listen to people who hate them both. If they don't like either game, they shouldn't be commenting in this thread.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
STO is actually a "good" grind imho if you want to start over again, especially since you can do everything in game without spending a single penny out of your own real wallet... it's just gated by time. It can take lots of time for certain things, but if you have a goal and don't mind waiting a few weeks/months to get there, you can do it completely for free and have some fun along the way. Best part about STO if you haven't played since around launch is that there's a lot of new content and a good bit of the game mechanics have changed, so there's some "relearning" to be done that will keep you entertained for a bit. I got probably 6 months out of STO after I started playing again before I walked away again.

SWTOR on the other hand... it really is pay to play for certain things. There's just no way around it. Certain things in the game you simply can't do/get without physically paying for with real money.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
STO, you could easily loose hours just doing the space combat.

Feb 25, 2011
I'm probably the only person here who enjoys SWTOR's space combat.

I know why, too.

See, I play drunk off my ass and it's a fun arcade-style rail shooter.

All you guys are pissed it's not some full-3D, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter thing.

Anyway, the space combat in STO was way more interesting. If you're, like, SOBER and stuff. Bah!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Along with what Sunny said, they really should have made TOR a muh cheaper subscription with some type of allow low level demo to always log in. If you look at the list of what a subsciber gets and what a non-subscrib does, you'd really have to think twice about starting a new char.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

I know why, too.

Anyway, the space combat in STO was way more interesting. If you're, like, SOBER and stuff. Bah!

Not quite true,all that money they wasted(we are talking a lot btw) and they could not do a decent space combat,give me a break lol anyway STO is my vote.
I was really dissappointed in SWTOR,it has a decent story but thats it IMHO and not even a true MMORPG.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
With TOR you can play all of the story content as F2P except the new planet, just not the group stuff. It's the raid content that's gimped for F2P. If you spend $5 or are a previous subscriber you get "preferred" status which lets you have 6 characters.

Trek is much better for group and endgame content as F2P, and the older story content is pretty good but not as good as TOR's.

You don't have to hate one to enjoy the other you know :)

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I didn't like STO's ground combat at first, but after learning it I find it very fun. I've got several capped characters in Klingon and fed of all classes, the biggest problem is learning what the skills do and how to augment them with doffs.

Do not use the fps or over the shoulder view, they are worthless.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Is STO F2P and is it enjoyable for people who know pretty much nothing about Star Trek? Tempted to check it out if it's free.

KT

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Is STO F2P and is it enjoyable for people who know pretty much nothing about Star Trek? Tempted to check it out if it's free.

KT

Yes and it depends. It's basically geek for trek fans. If you're not a trek fan, from a purely gaming standpoint, it will probably get stale pretty fast as it is insanely repetitive.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
KT

STO allows you to do almost everything non-cosmetic for free except fly a few slightly better starships that you don't need for PVE.

No, if you didn't watch TOS, TNG, Voyager and DS9 you won't get much out of the story missions, especially the weak ground combat.

You might be better off with a different F2P MMO like DC Universe Online or the new Neverwinter game.

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
I am both a Trekkie and a Star Wars fan and I have played both games. STO can get very repetitive very fast. If you don't like the game after a few hours into it, don't keep playing. Space fights are fun in large groups, ground combat is horribad.

SWTOR is more like WoW with a Star Wars skin. The first planet was addictive as gameplay was new and fresh, the second planet was intriguing with deepening storylines, but by the third planet, I was losing interest in the grind. Never got to planets 4 and later.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013

I know why, too.

I played the hell out of SWG and was a very prominent Starsider pilot.

TOR's space combat is fun. You can't compare the two (unless you're some kind of dolt).

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
Not quite true,all that money they wasted(we are talking a lot btw) and they could not do a decent space combat,give me a break lol anyway STO is my vote.
I was really dissappointed in SWTOR,it has a decent story but thats it IMHO and not even a true MMORPG.

It's a role playing game. It's a massively multiplayer online game.

You lose.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yes and it depends. It's basically geek for trek fans. If you're not a trek fan, from a purely gaming standpoint, it will probably get stale pretty fast as it is insanely repetitive.

STO allows you to do almost everything non-cosmetic for free except fly a few slightly better starships that you don't need for PVE.

No, if you didn't watch TOS, TNG, Voyager and DS9 you won't get much out of the story missions, especially the weak ground combat.

You might be better off with a different F2P MMO like DC Universe Online or the new Neverwinter game.

OK, thanks. Sounds like I should skip it then. I watched a handful of episodes of TNG, but that's about it.

KT

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
It's a role playing game. It's a massively multiplayer online game.

You lose.

I know what MMORPG means,my point was SWTOR did nor feel like a true MMORPG,limited size of 4 is one of the smallest I've seen for any MMORPG,others also have housing, better in game community etc..I could go on but you see my point.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
I know what MMORPG means,my point was SWTOR did nor feel like a true MMORPG,limited size of 4 is one of the smallest I've seen for any MMORPG,others also have housing, better in game community etc..I could go on but you see my point.

So the game didn't fit your flawed subjective opinion. Got it.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
So the game didn't fit your flawed subjective opinion. Got it.

I played it in both beta and from day one on release, even had CE version,I also went back to it from F2P as well so speaking from my experience,as to opinions we all have those so no right or wrong in that.

Bottomline SWTOR could of been so much more IMHO and yes it was flawed .

Last edited: