Star Trek fans

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
ok, i just got done watching the new Star Trek movie and it is awesome. minor question: at the very end, did the narrator screw up when he mentioned the famous star trek words below. he said to boldly go where no one has gone before instead of where no man has gone before. was this done on purpose?

Space... the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no man has gone before.

yes, this is trivial but its bugging me and i need to know

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
No. Ever Since the first movie, the "crawl" has been:

Space... the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no one has gone before.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
only the original sexist 1960s version said man

after that, they got liberated and said no one, since women were no longer just cargo on the space ship

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Irregardless, very good movie. I hope they make another! I never watched any of the old Star Trek stuff.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
only the original sexist 1960s version said man

after that, they got liberated and said no one, since women were no longer just cargo on the space ship

The least they can do is start wearing the skirts again. ;)

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000

i'm behind a firewall, so i can't see what you pointed to. my guess is it's from the ORIGINAL series. In which case, i'm NOT WRONG.

In the final shot of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, as the camera pulls back and up from the coffin of Spock to space, finally showing the newly-formed Genesis Planet, Leonard Nimoy reads a version of the quote which adds the word "continuing" between "the" and "voyages", replaces the words "its five-year" with "her on-going", and adds the word "forms" after "life":
Space... the Final Frontier. These are the continuing voyages of the starship Enterprise. Her ongoing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life forms and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
Five years later after the release of The Wrath of Khan, a slightly altered version of the introduction was included in the title sequence of Star Trek: The Next Generation. The new version replaced the word "man" with the gender- and species-neutral "one". The new introduction, narrated by Patrick Stewart (who played the Enterprise-D's captain, Jean-Luc Picard), at the beginning of every episode of that series, was:
Space... the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.
At the end of the 2009 Star Trek film, Nimoy reads a revised version of his quote from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan which removes the word "continuing" from between "the" and "voyages", and replaces the word "man" with the gender-neutral "one":
Space... the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Her ongoing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life forms and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
makes sense now since i dont ever recall seeing a kitchen on the USS Enterprise :)

They showed plenty of "kitchens" so to speak, on the Enterprise.

on the original series, in the episode Charlie X, the entire crew is in a mess hall, and the crew is taking food from replicators. Replicators was the enterprise version of a 'kitchen' ..

in TNG, there were replicators in crew quarters, and picard constantly asked for his "tea, hot, earl grey" from a replicator.

Voyager (not Enterprise, i know) had Neelix working in a kitchen.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
ah ok, you are right. The Next Generation had changed that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnzFpxPIDCg

makes sense now since i dont ever recall seeing a kitchen on the USS Enterprise :)
Which Enterprise?

A kitchen/galley was shown in The Undiscovered Country.
And in Voyager. (Ok, as guyver points out, this isn't technically an Enterprise.)
And in DS9. (I guess this isn't either.)
And in Enterprise. (This one, I'm pretty sure this one is.)

in TNG, there were replicators in crew quarters, and picard constantly asked for his "tea, hot, earl grey" from a replicator.
No he didn't.
"Tea, early grey, hot."

Yes, the nerd gloves have now been thrown down.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
you guys are slow, that isn't what he meant about no kitchen :rolleyes:

kitchen.jpg

change Internet to Enterprise

(this is a joke, in no way is this meant to degrade womans)

Last edited:

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
you guys are slow, that isn't what he meant about no kitchen :rolleyes:

kitchen.jpg

change Internet to Enterprise

(this is a joke, in no way is this meant to degrade womans)

Her fatness hides what could be a wonderful figure. Too bad.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
The whole time line thing with brining back Spock so the new crew could meet the "old" was weak IMHO. Lenard Nimoy's acting was so flat and tired! I also very much disliked the scene on the ice planet with the dragon / worm creature and that stupid ewok like thing that accompanied Scotty. These scenes had too much of the flavour of the Star Wars prequels.

Exodist

Dec 1, 2009
I enjoyed the new movie. I am a fan of the older Star Trek series with the original crew. The TNG movies felt like long TV shows and not really movies. Way to bland. I believe the new movie was a way to get a fresh movie crew in and still bring back the good ole Star Trek movies. I think they did a dang great job doing so.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I enjoyed the new movie. I am a fan of the older Star Trek series with the original crew. The TNG movies felt like long TV shows and not really movies. Way to bland. I believe the new movie was a way to get a fresh movie crew in and still bring back the good ole Star Trek movies. I think they did a dang great job doing so.

I never was a fan of the original series but I liked the movies based on the original series with the original crew. Despite what I said above I ended up liking the movie. I just hope that moving forward they know what to do with the franchise and don't dumb it down too much. One of the reasons ST has always been good is because it's always been about more than just Sci-Fi and aliens. There has always been a moral and cultural message in the background. This got really thin with this movie and I want them to bring back some of the weightier material. I don't want to see ST become just another pretty shooter.

Exodist

Dec 1, 2009
I never was a fan of the original series but I liked the movies based on the original series with the original crew. Despite what I said above I ended up liking the movie. I just hope that moving forward they know what to do with the franchise and don't dumb it down too much. One of the reasons ST has always been good is because it's always been about more than just Sci-Fi and aliens. There has always been a moral and cultural message in the background. This got really thin with this movie and I want them to bring back some of the weightier material. I don't want to see ST become just another pretty shooter.

Yea I agree about the whole shooter thing. That seems to be all the TNG ones were to me at least. Just fancy shooter movies with a ship called enterprise that they wrecked EVERY movie, more so the the original movies did. I also hated how they wrote Kirk out in the Generations movie.

I recently purchased this month the movies Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home and The Undiscovered Country. Great movies..

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I don't want to see ST become just another pretty shooter.
Here's another fun thought: Star Trek is pretty much a show about the adventures of middle and upper management - in spaaaaaace! :eek:

And most of the time when they bring along (or give a name to) some underling, that person often winds up dead.