Star Trek Discovery premieres tonight

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
That's a shame... although honestly not all that bad. I mean they look to have at least done it right, you can watch any show any season and they aren't asking $15, just $6/month. Could be worth a month or two binge, once they full season airs.

But if they are not going to air this on regular TV, than that is a mistake. That will just kill their ratings.

Last edited:

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
It's going to fizzle pretty quick I suspect.

and who the hell wants to pay for CBS All Access?

Dec 10, 2005
It's going to fizzle pretty quick I suspect.

and who the hell wants to pay for CBS All Access?
That's the way I see it. I generally dislike this splintering of streaming services. There is more than enough to watch between Netflix and Amazon Prime and/or Hulu that I would not be inclined to sign up for another service.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
That's the way I see it. I generally dislike this splintering of streaming services. There is more than enough to watch between Netflix and Amazon Prime and/or Hulu that I would not be inclined to sign up for another service.

Exactly.

Also It's my god given right as a male of this species to flip through channels constantly. Its part of my biological processes. Splintering is evil!

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
...they aren't asking $15, just $6/month...

Yes, but there big implications here. All the content creators see the writing on the wall. What they are trying to do is ensure that cord cutters don't interfere with their revenue streams. The don't want aggregate services like Netflix and Hulu. They want everyone having to subscribe to a bunch of individual services to keep their profits up.

For that reason alone, any studio that tries to force you to subscribe to only themselves to get their content should be ignored.

-KeithP

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
The most stupid thing IMO is that a majority of consumers can't watch anything from CBS Access on their TV's. Some kind of htpc device (apple tv, Roku, chrome cast etc) is required. So they're expecting everyone to watch on their tablets? Or is the smart box market that big now?

Reactions: Thebobo

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Also It's my god given right as a male of this species to flip through channels constantly. Its part of my biological processes.

It's not just a right, it's a necessity. Channel flipping is hard coded into our DNA, stopping would be like stopping breathing.

And as for this Star Trek, their choice of broadcast is not why I'm going to pass. I'll pass because it looks shitty.

Reactions: Thebobo

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
So, everyone can get STD tonight for "free" courtesy of CBS.
Then, they make you pay for STD.

Sorry CBS, keep your STD. :p

The problem with this joke is that Star Trek has never followed that convention for abbreviating their series. TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT. It should be DIS following the convention set by Voyager and Enterprise, but the official abbreviation is DSC.

/no I'm clearly not a blast at parties :p

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I tried to watch it on a local CBS channel. I haven't watched local broadcast television in years. I turn to the channel and all I see is Oprah Winfrey discussing politics. WTF?

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
I tried to watch it on a local CBS channel. I haven't watched local broadcast television in years. I turn to the channel and all I see is Oprah Winfrey discussing politics. WTF?

Trump really made a dent in history I guess.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Evidently Star Trek Discovery was pushed back due to some loser Cincinnati football team doing what it does best. I can't wait until Star Trek starts so that I can watch a 1 hour television show with 30 minutes of commercials.

I hate broadcast television.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Well, 5 minutes in and I've already had two cringes. Klingons don't look like Klingons.
And then there's "you walked us in a circle!!" "no I didn't!!"
ugh.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

but but..what are you....for monopolies!!! (eye roll) it is funny you state this because this is the same thing the pc game industry is doing, and it is annoying as F .

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Well, 5 minutes in and I've already had two cringes. Klingons don't look like Klingons.
And then there's "you walked us in a circle!!" "no I didn't!!"
ugh.

How did they find us??????? Is she retarded? She didn't know she made a target in the sand?