Star Trek Discovery premieres tonight

Page 34 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Yea, I'm looking forward to SNW. 10ep seasons are weaksauce though. Unless it's Discovery. Feels like 10 episodes of that will never end :^P

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay and Captante

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Yea, I'm looking forward to SNW. 10ep seasons are weaksauce though. Unless it's Discovery. Feels like 10 episodes of that will never end :^P
Haven't watched st:bnw yet.

1685203796764.png
Who's the girl in the far left?
And why is she in black and white?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
That's nurse Chapel. There's some speculation on the b&w rendering. People seem to think something's up with that character.

Reactions: Captante

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
crossover episode was released early. probably the best thing to come out of nu-trek
sounds like they had some fun on the set. was surprised by tawny newsome getting the writting gig on starfleet academy, hopefully the strike wont kill the project.

Reactions: lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
That episode was hilarious. The musical episode is this week. I'm dubious, but even if it sucks, this will be one of the best seasons of Trek ever.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
It amazes me the difference between these two - Discovery and Strange New Worlds. One got worse as the seasons went on, the other I am continuing to enjoy. I haven't looked too deep into the details - did these shows even have the same writers?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Looking on wikipedia, I see a lot of the same names between them. I don't know how everything went so wrong with Discovery.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I forgot about this thread. Youse folks were right. TNG got somewhat better as the seasons went on. Never "GREAT," but better. I'm mid-season 7 in ST:Voyager. The first couple of seasons were almost painful to watch...but it's gotten somewhat better...especially since 7 of 9 joined the series. Damn...Jeri Ryan had a smoking body back then...o_O

Once I finish with Voyager, I'll move onto DS9...then watch the newest SNW season.

Reactions: lxskllr

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Looking on wikipedia, I see a lot of the same names between them. I don't know how everything went so wrong with Discovery.

IMO, it became "Black Panther in Space." Michael Burnam went where no human ever went before...and no other ever could.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It's definitely the Michael Burnham show. I've seen all of it to date, and I don't even know the names of all the primary characters. The ones I do know the names of, I really don't know what they're about. It's easily the shallowest Trek I've ever seen.

I said I wasn't gonna see series 5, and I REALLY don't want to, but that'll put an * on my Trek viewing where I can say 'I've seen everything but...'. It'll manage to piss me off whether or not I watch the stupid fucking thing :^D

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Discovery still has a 7.1 rating on IMDB somehow. Maybe people who haven't watched it all are throwing off the numbers? It was pretty good through season 2 IMO.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Only thing I can figure is it's popular with people who aren't Star Trek fans, cause it isn't Star Trek. It's just /some show/ with a Star Trek sticker on it. The Orville is more Trek than Discovery is.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
The Orville is more Trek than Discovery is.
No it's not, other than that they made a lot of the same stories.

It LOOKS more like star trek, especially TNG, but it's completely different, ST is about professionals doing things in a professional manner while still keeping their humanity and private life but keeping it separated from their profession.
The orville is a bunch of dudebros (women included) that do things in the most unprofessional way possible focusing on their personal life and wants more than on whatever is the problem at hand.

Discovery is the jock version of ST
Orville is the dudebro version of ST
Neither is close to ST

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

It LOOKS more like star trek, especially TNG, but it's completely different, ST is about professionals doing things in a professional manner while still keeping their humanity and private life but keeping it separated from their profession.
The orville is a bunch of dudebros (women included) that do things in the most unprofessional way possible focusing on their personal life and wants more than on whatever is the problem at hand.
So, like Lower Decks then. If you're saying LD isn't Star Trek, I think we have vastly different ideas of what Trek is.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Discovery is the jock version of ST
Orville is the dudebro version of ST
Neither is close to ST

Can't say about that, never seen any of those three shows.

But does strike me that you're right that Star Trek was all about "professionals", doing things as a "profession" and very much as a team.

Long ago struck me how that was very much in contrast to Doctor Who, which was about the lone amateur eccentric.

Which in turn seemed like a frequent distinction between US drama and the UK stuff. British stuff often seems to have focused on lone amateurs, usually upper-class, while Americans seem to prefer their teams of paid professionals.

See also Sherlock Holmes, the amateur showing up the plodding professional police as useless.
It seems very much entangled with the class system - gentlemen vs players.

Of course, in truth it doesn't hold up that well as a theory with regard to the technocratic US vs class-bound UK, because there are also all those private slueths in the US, like Phillip Marlowe. And the cult of the amateur doesn't seem to have the same class-implications in the US as here.

I do get the impression, though, that ST has rather deviated from that "technocrat professional" idea.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
It amazes me the difference between these two - Discovery and Strange New Worlds. One got worse as the seasons went on, the other I am continuing to enjoy. I haven't looked too deep into the details - did these shows even have the same writers?
Discovery fell into the same trap the DC Justice League movies followed...nobody wants to see heroes constantly deconstructed, traumatized, and depressed all the time. It gets boring.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I just start watching this. Im on the beginning of Season 3. I agree with this:

1693362818041.png

Overall its a lot better than I thought it would be. And Im glad I waited 6 years to start watching it so the stories could develop well.

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Re the SNW musical episode, I'm not really a fan of musicals, but somehow as a one-off, it worked. It was strange, and new.