https://www.stardock.com/games/starcontrol/

Looks neat.

sco_beta3_05.png

sco_beta3_15.png

sco_beta3_02.png

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Almost everything stardock puts on Steam is linux ready.

But I think that Steam OS went down the tubes.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Wow, that looks like ass. I know that's not the point in Star Control, but if you can't put out something appealing in photo realistic style you should fall back on good art design.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Original SC2 was so good, and I am almost always disappointed by Stardock, so this might be the release that unleashes the black hole.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This released today, supposedly. Anyone try it out yet?

I got it free with my recent Vega purchase, and got the registration email this morning. It wasn't yet available for DL, though (~9:30am EST or so). .....I'm guessing many are waiting for the opinions of those that got it for free? :D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah me to, was exited, saw stardock, got less exited.

yeah....I want to like Stardock, they just have a history of releasing unfinished messes that never really live up to the hype. I thought SoaSE was fantastic (and I don't care about PvP--I liked it enough playing against AI), and really really wanted to like Elemental, but it just never was good. I did enjoy it when it released (I paid full? price on the first, broken, mostly garbage release, lol), even though it was quite obvious that the mechanics were mostly broken. Combat just wasn't working.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Saw that it released through a promo email... doesn't seem to be anything that would interest me but seems most are liking it. I have zero experience with the original series.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Saw that it released through a promo email... doesn't seem to be anything that would interest me but seems most are liking it. I have zero experience with the original series.

StarCon 2 was a pivotal, essential, pretty much historic game when it comes to story design and general game mechanics. There really was nothing like it at the time and nothing since, and so of course much was derived from it.

--I'm guessing the ship building and resource gathering predate it in some way (this was well before WC1, C&C, other early RTS type games), but this was a very well-designed, if not first model for gathering, crafting and acquiring your toys, upgrading your ship and crew.
--a true sandbox game. You are tossed into a galaxy map. Go do stuff. Meet aliens. try not to die. Hope you meet the right people and things.
--species and characters with global personality; a very well-written script.
--persistent, time-oriented story. As soon as the game starts, there truly is a clock, but you actually don't know it. If you know nothing about the game going in to the game for the first time, then it really doesn't matter. There's a good chance the primary story will pass you by, because actions are being taken that you otherwise wouldn't be privy to. But you get far enough along and realize that you are either underpowered or simply too late to intercept "the thing"....but no matter. It's actually relatively short if that becomes your goal, and you eventually learn the mechanics of the game and that your first fleet was kinda shitty anyway and it's easy and quick enough to do it properly the second time.

I'm pretty sure the shareware version has been out for at least 20 years now. I assume it's easy to find, download, and rock through pretty quickly.
So, it's actually the perfect genre and type of game for Stardock...assuming they are still that same Stardock, but also the kind of thing that they could screw up easily...assuming they are still that same Stardock, lol.

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yea I was 3 years old when Star Control 2 was released...

Nevertheless, I'd certainly give Origins a shot if I could find the time. Doesn't seem like a game you can just jump in and out of quickly and get the correct experience. I love space games but typically am terrible at RTS so I don't play that many. Perhaps that's why I enjoyed No Man's Sky so much while mostly everyone else said it was trash.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
OK, have you played it yet^? I still haven't launched it. :D

I was going to, but then saw my AC Odyssey free key and game was available, so installed that planning to give it an hour or two (was into FF XV at the time)...but am still with AC Odyssey. ...I think 50 some hours now.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I've been on the fence. Still on the fence, leaning heavily towards No still.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Been thinking about buying another AMD RX 570, or maybe I'll splurge for an RX 580 (will the 590 be out by then?), on Nov. 2 or so, if they still come with the games bundle. SC:Origins, AC:Odyssee, and some other game.

I used to love SC:2 back in the day, on an IBM PC with VGA or SVGA (had it on 3DO too), would be interested in trying out a sequel, and I've never played any of the Assassin's Creed games, should probably start, they seem popular.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
OK, have you played it yet^? I still haven't launched it. :D

I was going to, but then saw my AC Odyssey free key and game was available, so installed that planning to give it an hour or two (was into FF XV at the time)...but am still with AC Odyssey. ...I think 50 some hours now.

Procrastinator...

I was wondering a few days ago what happened to Star Dock. At one point they absorbed some guys from the Civilization 5 team and I thought they were working on something big like that :(

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I finished this. Game is amusing enough in a nostalgic way but it's overall just meh. Lander scavenging reminds me of ME1 resource tedium. Sidequests are minimal and uninteresting. Conversations aren't all that meaningful... just click through all the options and move on. Major races are amusing enough, but are a little flat compared to SC2 and even SC3. Quest/story arcs past the Mu'Kay, Slugs, and Pinthi were also pretty brief and uninspired too, or felt unfinished. Ships are annoying in that most of them aren't all that different and you don't know what any of them do until you take them out the first time (unless you go back to Ceres training grounds every time). Most are pretty terrible too. I thought the only useful ships were mine upgraded w/ best missiles and phasor and the Mu'Kay Grasper. Slug ship is mildly useful early on.