Star Citizen to support Vulkan only instead of DX12 [CIG]

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Years ago we stated our intention to support DX12, but since the introduction of Vulkan which has the same feature set and performance advantages this seemed a much more logical rendering API to use as it doesn't force our users to upgrade to Windows 10 and opens the door for a single graphics API that could be used on all Windows 7, 8, 10 & Linux. As a result our current intention is to only support Vulkan and eventually drop support for DX11 as this shouldn't effect any of our backers. DX12 would only be considered if we found it gave us a specific and substantial advantage over Vulkan. The API's really aren't that different though, 95% of the work for these APIs is to change the paradigm of the rendering pipeline, which is the same for both APIs.

Source

Well, looks pretty official. This really surprised me, but I'm not disappointed at all. Vulkan will help to keep Microsoft on its toes and stop them from fully cornering the PC gaming market.

The only apprehension I have, is whether Vulkan being open source can keep pace with Microsoft's API development, which benefits from having a sole developer rather than a collaborative effort.

Reactions: Headfoot and Krteq

ThatBuzzkiller

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2014
So even they won't go so far as to alienating much of their user base when WDDM 1.X is arguably holding back game development more compared to dedicated game consoles ...

Slightly disappointed in their decision since DX12 is arguably more featured filled than Vulkan. The latter still doesn't have any standardized multi-adapter support, or standardized stereo rendering support and once Microsoft pushes out their DXGI 2 and SM6 update, Vulkan will be even further behind ...

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I don't think it makes sense at all in what they are doing. The other platforms they mention are being phased out as it is (Won't even mention linux since its not a major player anyways for the game). As graphic intensive as the game is, it seems like just some marketing talk than actual "benefits" they say.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
Awesome. It was only recently I contacted CIG about their Linux support and to confirm their refunds policy (their store states Windows as requirements), since in the past there were some pretty strong indications of them heading in the Linux direction. Obviously response was generic toeing of the official statement.

Guess I won't be giving up hope yet.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Slightly disappointed in their decision since DX12 is arguably more featured filled than Vulkan. The latter still doesn't have any standardized multi-adapter support, or standardized stereo rendering support and once Microsoft pushes out their DXGI 2 and SM6 update, Vulkan will be even further behind ...

Also to my knowledge, Vulkan still doesn't support asynchronous compute on Pascal.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Great news!

Might make me dig up my old copy and see what the game looks like nowadays...

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Vulkan works well in win 10 but also other OSes, it's a more logical choice than DX12 I think, and supporting both Vulkan and DX12 makes little sense,

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Microsoft pushes out their DXGI 2 and SM6 update,

Just FYI SM6 is available right now with latest windows and nvidia/amd drivers.

But yeah... why would they not support DX12? Like they said, it is very similar to Vulkan, except Vulkan is about a year behind.

Vulkan MGPU support will apparently only work in windows 10 (requires WDDM 2), and its MGPU is much more limited anyway compared to DX12.

DX12 has other advantages as well, so when you are forced into W10 anyway, whats the point in limiting yourself to Vulkan? I don't see why they won't support both which would allow them to ditch DX11 like they plan to, but still have better performance and more features.

daxzy

Dec 22, 2013
According to Steam Feb survey, Linux (all variants) has 0.79% market share. Glad they're chasing that.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
It's going to still look unfinished.

LoL... That I figured :confused_old:

I gave up on that game a long time ago, but I did buy the base game so I figure I should probably check in on it at least once a year.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
This game is already DX11. Not sure what your point is.

Pretty obvious, if you have to choose between dx12 and vulkan of course the concept of "how many of my players benefit" comes in, and obviously the .7% Linux folks dont factor in as high as the ~25% Windows 7 players which you conveniently failed to mention. Stop trying to miss the point.

Reactions: Yakk

daxzy

Dec 22, 2013
Pretty obvious, if you have to choose between dx12 and vulkan of course the concept of "how many of my players benefit" comes in, and obviously the .7% Linux folks dont factor in as high as the ~25% Windows 7 players which you conveniently failed to mention. Stop trying to miss the point.

Oh I see what you mean. Yea, I suppose those people with modern high end systems clinging onto Windows 7 for whatever reason need an outlet.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Sounds like a good business decision. Chasing Linux and a shrinking Win7 base.

As for the OPs question about if Vulkan will keep up with Microsoft? If history is any indication that answer is a big fat no. afaik Vulkan is already behind DX12 and I don't expect that distance to close.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
Sounds like a good business decision. Chasing Linux and a shrinking Win7 base.

As for the OPs question about if Vulkan will keep up with Microsoft? If history is any indication that answer is a big fat no. afaik Vulkan is already behind DX12 and I don't expect that distance to close.

Yeah it's a much better business decision to ignore huge chunks of the market and ally yourself with a single section of the possible user base...

The Vulkan vs DX12 feature set argument is a legitimate one, but as far as I'm concerned there has been much too much conjecture thrown around as proof (see above).

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Yeah it's a much better business decision to ignore huge chunks of the market and ally yourself with a single section of the possible user base...

The Vulkan vs DX12 feature set argument is a legitimate one, but as far as I'm concerned there has been much too much conjecture thrown around as proof (see above).

Define huge chunks. Win 7 is a relic that shrinks more every day. And Linux is not a gaming platform on the PC.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Define huge chunks. Win 7 is a relic that shrinks more every day. And Linux is not a gaming platform on the PC.
Win 10 is ~25%. Win 7 is still ~50%. Now I know that many of Star Citizen's potential customers are on Win 10. But it's not like Vulcan locks them out or anything.

SOURCE:

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
And Linux is not a gaming platform on the PC.

What a stupid thing to say. No one is pretending Linux is in any way significant in the gaming sector, but we only need a single reference point to completely discount your sweeping generalizations.

I guess this is the level of thought which goes into everything you write. Your other point being that it's a better business decision to focus on what is currently less than half of the market (Win10 with DX12 GPUs being at 41.3% in the latest Steam survey, and less in the link above).

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What are you talking about? You can login and play the FPS and flight modes right now.

What are you talking about? game was scheduled for a 2016 release, thats last year, and they are still in alpha now. Likely wont even hit beta this year.

They will run out of money eventually, if you think they will get the game out before that happens you are much more optimistic than me.