Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Father Torque

Aug 7, 2011
I took Dereks advice and got out while I still could.Refund finally cleared today,my White Citzens card has been revoked.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I took Dereks advice and got out while I still could.Refund finally cleared today,my White Citzens card has been revoked.

congrats. Hopefully more will see the errors before they are harmed for good. There are a lot of sad stories surrounding this thing.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
It's hard for me to have much interest in someone that throws crap out there that is "right sometimes".

ok. Cig doesnt even know whats happening in 2017 so im pretty sure some of this stuff wont happen. If you dont want to read what he writes then dont. Doesnt change the fact he has inside info from people who work at cig.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I was periodically interested in the game. Every time I checked it was basically the same status on the game, this is across the span of years. I also couldn't make heads or tails of the ships and game packages on the store. The entire presentation was off putting.

I have no idea if it's going to be a disaster or not, but they're I believe six years in now and still have basically nothing close to what the game is supposed to contain. At that pace I doubt they finish it before 2020. Even 2020 seems optimistic with the open space scope of the game. Realistically, if it finishes, probably 2022+. That is nuts.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Derek Smart : IS AMAZON THE NEW STAR CITIZEN PUBLISHER?

http://dereksmart.com/forums/topic/sc-scoop/#post-5224

I can't really see this being that big a deal.... unless it goes as Smart is suggesting and it turns into another Freelancer, where Roberts is pulled out of dev. Having learned from the Digital Anvil stuff, I'd like to think he learned his lessons.. unless it really is hemorrhaging money, then I can see him trying to get out before it all crashes down.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I can't really see this being that big a deal.... unless it goes as Smart is suggesting and it turns into another Freelancer, where Roberts is pulled out of dev. Having learned from the Digital Anvil stuff, I'd like to think he learned his lessons.. unless it really is hemorrhaging money, then I can see him trying to get out before it all crashes down.

Better to lose control and blame the new publishers then go to jail for fraud.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Better to lose control and blame the new publishers then go to jail for fraud.

I don't disagree. If it is a case where they're running out of money and he's trying to jump ship to save face (and that's a big if, as the financials aren't released I doubt we'll ever know the case) it makes sense. However, I don't think it'd work. Amazon would only have to show the state of the game currently and that would be that. If anything, I'd really doubt that Amazon would take on something like this if it's no where near what it promised. It would not only cost too much to fix, but also put LY in a bad light. Never say never, but I think it's prob a case where Amazon has devoted some devs to help integration into Amazon stuff.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
But people on these forums told us the lumberyard integration only took a day.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Lumberyard is CryEngine-fork + AWS integration library.

Switching from CryEngine to CryEngine-fork might well have only taken a day (I haven't read anything one way or the other).

Switching from some homegrown, not-very-scalable dedicated server design to using AWS could be a huge job. Of course if they didn't design their server side to be cloud-based from the start that was another misstep.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
This is as cryptic as the image in the other thread that popped up a few days ago (and finally someone posted some info on it). So what are we looking at in the two pictures?

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
almost a year ago I said 3.0 demo was fake. Where is 3.0?

I believe it's supposed to be released within the next couple of months.. unless it's been pushed out again.. I did see someone complaining about how 3.0 was gimped and some of the features expected were now pushed back to the next release after.. not sure the exact details though, someone else would have to update that.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
but it was supposed to be the jesus patch and reporters played it, a year ago!

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
but it was supposed to be the jesus patch and reporters played it, a year ago!

That was the old 3.0 patch.. the new one has been overhauled because of LY.. except it didn't because it's the same engine, but it's totally different.. but now the doors all have working door bells that each have their own tone, what the users have been screaming for.

I kid, but I did see that they removed things like the hundreds of systems, which might be misstating it... they only have 1 sun in the entire game now.. so 1 system? I freely admit I could be misunderstanding what happened here, and would love it if someone corrected me with the correct info.. There was also some other thing with dropping some credit thing, as I never did anything with credits I don't have a clue. From what I did see, it did effect the grey market. How I'm not 100% sure...