Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 230 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Oh are we allowed to post jpegs in this thread now? Or is it only me who isnt allowed? Lets test the waters...

This is the kind of response and meaningless trash which diminishes your value to the forums and gets you reported.

It's almost like you're too poor to afford to pledge, so you're going crazy making up excuses.

Last edited by a moderator:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Wasn't project cars something like this? I remember being skeptical of it, but that game turned out really nice. Despite the successes of a few, I remain skeptical. I don't think this was an intentional scam. That's a bit much to say really, but it seems to be evolving into one from a consumer standpoint. People have been talking about this game forever now. It reminds me a lot of duke nukem forever in that regard, seriously.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
This is the kind of response and meaningless trash which diminishes your value to the forums and gets you reported.

It's almost like you're too poor to afford to pledge, so you're going crazy making up excuses.

So my jpeg isnt allowed but your's showing a $10k "spike" after the news story hit is good and doesnt diminish anything.

Too poor to afford to pledge. lol. Thats a nice idea. Disposable income doesn't mean burning it.

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Wasn't project cars something like this? I remember being skeptical of it, but that game turned out really nice. Despite the successes of a few, I remain skeptical. I don't think this was an intentional scam. That's a bit much to say really, but it seems to be evolving into one from a consumer standpoint. People have been talking about this game forever now. It reminds me a lot of duke nukem forever in that regard, seriously.

Chris Roberts track record for releasing games and movies is horribly bad. He's good at getting investors to give him money though. Ill give him that much.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

I think the most recent bad one was the Mighty Number 9. It is getting completely panned in reviews.

Honestly, I've been watching from the sidelines, and this one seems to have turned into a perpetual money machine. They've figured out they can keep milking people by creating endless scope creep. I would have written this off 2 years ago had I put money into it. This isn't no indie money. This is serious cash. They are either living large or blowing it by the insane amount of creep this thing has had. It will be interesting what all the yay-sayers opinions are in 5 more years.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
So my jpeg isnt allowed but your's showing a $10k "spike" after the news story hit is good and doesnt diminish anything.

Too poor to afford to pledge. lol. Thats a nice idea. Disposable income doesn't mean burning it.

Dude, if you're going to compare what I posted to what you posted, let's just call it what it is.

A metaphor for the quality of your posts in the thread. I post a 'jpeg' that has meaningful data and adds to the discussion. You post a cheesy graphic of a bobblehead airhorn going prrrrrttttt. Just like all of your posts. Just an airhorn making empty noise.

I've spent more money on dates than I have on this game. If you're worried about disposable income and burning it at this rate, then yes, I assume you're struggling. It's ok. I've been there. Every dollar counts. Just try not to throw rocks at the guys in nice cars just because you're stuck on a bike.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I think the most recent bad one was the Mighty Number 9. It is getting completely panned in reviews.

Honestly, I've been watching from the sidelines, and this one seems to have turned into a perpetual money machine. They've figured out they can keep milking people by creating endless scope creep. I would have written this off 2 years ago had I put money into it. This isn't no indie money. This is serious cash. They are either living large or blowing it by the insane amount of creep this thing has had. It will be interesting what all the yay-sayers opinions are in 5 more years.

It's important to keep in mind that it really hasn't been forever. We've just known about it from early mockups because of all the attention it received from the initial Kickstarter. If we actually compare the timeline to that of a AAA studio, such as Rockstar, and give CIG a hefty handicap for the time it spent building up their studios and modifying the engine so it could meet their needs, then CIG hasn't even gotten close to the time Rockstar spent on GTA5.

While the kickstarter and original pitch goes back to 2012, it took some time for things to settle because the constant influx of cash kept changing the situation. CIG didn't actually get their Frankfurt studio opened until July 2015. It's only been operating a year and they are pumping out huge amounts of work. So just based on the last year with just the Frankfurt office, they're moving things along quite nicely.

As you said.. this isn't no indie money, it's serious cash. But it was indie money at first. Chris Roberts apparently spent nearly $1M of his own cash paying devs to build the initial demo, and the original ask for cash was basically still indie dev studio money. When they got serious cash, the scope took a serious change.

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Dude, if you're going to compare what I posted to what you posted, let's just call it what it is.

A metaphor for the quality of your posts in the thread. I post a 'jpeg' that has meaningful data and adds to the discussion. You post a cheesy graphic of a bobblehead airhorn going prrrrrttttt. Just like all of your posts. Just an airhorn making empty noise.

I've spent more money on dates than I have on this game. If you're worried about disposable income and burning it at this rate, then yes, I assume you're struggling. It's ok. I've been there. Every dollar counts. Just try not to throw rocks at the guys in nice cars just because you're stuck on a bike.

continually trying to insult my finances isnt going to get you anywhere. I'm certainly not going to get into a pissing match with you over assets and wealth.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
continually trying to insult my finances isnt going to get you anywhere. I'm certainly not going to get into a pissing match with you over assets and wealth.

I got you. Now take your own advice. Because constantly trying to insult this game, the devs, and the people who like isn't getting you anywhere either.

It's not a pissing match here, so piss elsewhere.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Today I finally got my first victory in a Battle Royale. Had to use a Sabre for that. No chance to do it with my Aurora LN.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I got you. Now take your own advice. Because constantly trying to insult this game, the devs, and the people who like isn't getting you anywhere either.

It's not a pissing match here, so piss elsewhere.

The problem with the star citizen community is they think they deserve to have safe spaces and will use harassment, down voting and mods to try and create it. There are real problems with this project and when you try to keep a lid on those things via these tactics all you are doing is postponing the inevitable. and making that outcome worse.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Are there any successful crowd funded games? I am skeptical of them all. A successful business man once told me (regarding people who ask for money) "There is a reason they don't have the money"

Does Early Access count? If so, Kerbal Space Program.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Grim dawn?

Shadowrun Returns
Wasteland 2
Pillars of Eternity
Divinity Original Sin

Still in development, but reached Early Access:
The Long Dark

Those are just ones I've backed, I haven't paid attention to ones I'm not interested in like pinball tables, RTS, retro-JRPG-2D, ....

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
The problem with the star citizen community is they think they deserve to have safe spaces and will use harassment, down voting and mods to try and create it. There are real problems with this project and when you try to keep a lid on those things via these tactics all you are doing is postponing the inevitable. and making that outcome worse.

No. Anytime you've posted about 'real problems' it's been because you're not really paying much attention and just reposting fud. If you were actually following things, on a weekly basis, playing the game, engaging the community, watching AtV, bugsmashers, etc. you would realize your concerns are misplaced.

And reasonable people see that CIG/SC/SQ42 is a STARTUP that started from a basic demo and is now a 300+ person team across multiple studios. Half the of the shit you post about is simply normal growing pains that any studio, public or private, would likely face. Teams are new, offices are new, leaders are still digging in, workflows are still being polished, and like any startup, they're finding some employees don't work well with others. This is all business as usual, yet goons are making this issues out to mean they're management failures.

Last edited:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Today I finally got my first victory in a Battle Royale. Had to use a Sabre for that. No chance to do it with my Aurora LN.

yea, I get shredded by Sabres in PU and BR.

Did you monoboat it? That seems to be what the deadly sabre pilots are doing. I can engage a monoboated sabre with 100% health and shields and they take me down with just a few shots. I'm using an avenger.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
No. Anytime you've posted about 'real problems' it's been because you're not really paying much attention and just reposting fud. If you were actually following things, on a weekly basis, playing the game, engaging the community, watching AtV, bugsmashers, etc. you would realize your concerns are misplaced.

And reasonable people see that CIG/SC/SQ42 is a STARTUP that started from a basic demo and is now a 300+ person team across multiple studios. Half the of the shit you post about is simply normal growing pains that any studio, public or private, would likely face. Teams are new, offices are new, leaders are still digging in, workflows are still being polished, and like any startup, they're finding some employees don't work well with others. This is all business as usual, yet goons are making this issues out to mean they're management failures.

If only I just watch 10 hours of propaganda every week I would realize everything is fine. lmao. Listen to yourself.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I find it interesting at how some of the first 20 pages of this have a few people predicting that this will fail, with everyone, including a former mod who hyped it out attacking those people as thread crappers. Now former mod who hyped it out and is basically unhappy along with a host of others... Definitely a turn of events here in this thread. If someone wants to see this in action, just skim the thread from the beginning and take a note of who was for it and who is not against it. This will go down as one of the biggest scams (well, to be fair, let-downs) in video game history.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I find it interesting at how some of the first 20 pages of this have a few people predicting that this will fail, with everyone, including a former mod who hyped it out attacking those people as thread crappers. Now former mod who hyped it out and is basically unhappy along with a host of others... Definitely a turn of events here in this thread. If someone wants to see this in action, just skim the thread from the beginning and take a note of who was for it and who is not against it. This will go down as one of the biggest scams (well, to be fair, let-downs) in video game history.

Biggest scam? Explain. Things are moving along quite nicely now. You could make that argument pre 2.0, but between AC and 2.4 ptu, and what they're doing outside of that, if you think it's a scam, you're just not paying attention.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Uh, if you want to call that propaganda, then it cements the fact that you're a goon.

I am a goon and proud of it. So what? Did you know goons gave cig over $400k? (because goons are stupid too) We are just smart enough to know when shit becomes shit.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
yea, I get shredded by Sabres in PU and BR.

Did you monoboat it? That seems to be what the deadly sabre pilots are doing. I can engage a monoboated sabre with 100% health and shields and they take me down with just a few shots. I'm using an avenger.

Yes: 4 x Broadswords (Size 3).

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I am a goon and proud of it. So what? Did you know goons gave cig over $400k? (because goons are stupid too) We are just smart enough to know when shit becomes shit.

Except it's not shit. While you're stuck in last year bitching about old news, we're over here playing it and seeing progress.

J 'stuck in the past' storm...