Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 221 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Not that I know of.

There's a lot of things in this game where manual control of things typically handled by spreadsheet interfaces in other games really aids in immersion and fun, but I don't think this is one of them.

If this was realism, it would take a whole crew of guys or robotic arms to install this stuff on the ships. It's just something I don't think they should waste their time on trying to make more realistic in the hangar.

And this is just the beginning - eventually we'll have dozens of different types of components to equip on the ship. How long will it take to walk through a Starfarer to every component / get at just the right angle so you can access the dot / select from a massive scrolling list.

I would have been happier if they would have just copied HoloXplor's interface layout.

(BTW rivet....looks like the Aurora got a 38% health drop in 2.4)

Yeah, I didn't expect absolute realism. But I would like to see a 2D HUD in the hangar (on a wall, on a table...don't care). You go to it, select your items assign them to hardpoints and then you see drones swooping out and updating the ship....much like refueling and repairing at CryAstro.

Much better than this hand waviuum poof! a Panther on a hardpoint appears thing.

Yeah, I have an Aurora, but not worried. It'll be buffed next patch (and then nerfed, then buffed, etc.).

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I expected something much better than this holotable replacement. They knew how disliked was the holotable and then came up with this big scroll list of item names, with no description, no stats, no filters, no sorting and cumbersome to use?

Let's hope that at least it works 100% as intended for installing components, since HoloXPLOR will no longer be usable as a workaround.

Ha ha. At least he also has an Avenger Titan and a Gladius, if I am not mistaken.

It's more tempting to use my upgrades to 300i. For now, the rented M50 still works (I love this little ship).

Yes, I have an Aurora MR, Avenger Titan, and Gladius. But that Titan will soon become a Reliant Kore.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
One thing I haven't been able to find any info on - - what's up with the flight suit vs armor? Why would you buy a flight suit when you'll need armor the second you step out of your ship? Or are the flight suits intended to appeal to folks who don't plan on engaging in any kind of combat?

At some point, I suspect that some of the distinctions will come about in terms of performance at different roles. Some armor types may be too bulky to wear while sitting in the pilot seat, or turret seat of certain ships. You may suffer differing levels of fatigue while wearing heavy armor, which might making you more susceptible to black/red-out, or it might be that wearing a flightsuit gives you a bonus resistance against such things. In other words, I suspect there will indeed be benefits and drawbacks for every piece of equipment at some point in the future.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
At some point, I suspect that some of the distinctions will come about in terms of performance at different roles. Some armor types may be too bulky to wear while sitting in the pilot seat, or turret seat of certain ships. You may suffer differing levels of fatigue while wearing heavy armor, which might making you more susceptible to black/red-out, or it might be that wearing a flightsuit gives you a bonus resistance against such things. In other words, I suspect there will indeed be benefits and drawbacks for every piece of equipment at some point in the future.

I hope they don't forget people who bought the 350R Lightspeed package - we're supposed to get a special Origin flight suit. I want my fancy suit! ;)

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
This is called hater bait be careful ��

No doubt. I'm going to wear it everywhere....walk into the bar in my pretty princess Lightspeed suit, sit down and order a Vodka with a lime....and then the fight begins. ;)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Got a PTU invite....downloading nao.

I'll report back with all things. :)

I got one too, I'll try on Monday but my updates won't be as good since most of my previous attempts are just running around. My poor Q9650 work horse has trouble carrying the load.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
One thing I haven't been able to find any info on - - what's up with the flight suit vs armor? Why would you buy a flight suit when you'll need armor the second you step out of your ship? Or are the flight suits intended to appeal to folks who don't plan on engaging in any kind of combat?
According to one thread from RSI forums, the armor does not have EVA thrusters. At least the heavy armor. So that would make armor better for combat, but unusable for EVA.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
The new Port Olisar looks much better (colors!). I kind of get an airport feel out of it now.

I haven't been able to really put the Gladius through the paces because for some reason my strafe stick is free-looking (even though it isn't mapped to do that). Every time I strafe, it's turning my head - and no, it isn't the IFCS mode.

It does feel like they have gotten rid of the massive slide, as far as I can tell, but it's really hard to tell the strafe rate when you turn your head to the side every time you hit the stick.

Well, finally there's one ship I don't have any interest in buying. ;)

Last edited:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
ANybody had a chance to play on the PTU? I'm still unable to move my shoulder much so I haven't bothered. Hoping I'll be more able by time this makes it to Live. I'm assuming it will be on PTU for a bit.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
If you are a subscriber, you got invited to the PTU. Personally, I don't agree with this move by CIG. They're monetizing PTU access (you want into the PTU? Throw in $10 and become a subscriber and you get it).

PTU access should be solely based upon testing effort. If you put in the time to test the builds and report issues on the Issue Council, you should earn your way to a PTU invite.

It just appears to be a money grab to me. Which is unfortunate because there are countless posts on the forums by people who sound well-qualified to be testing in the PTU and who haven't been invited.

Having said that, Stringjam I'm pretty sure your strafe stick is a known bug. I remember seeing a forum thread on it, but I can't find it at the moment.

Regarding the Buccaneer, I like the look of Drake ships. But this one....meh. Not sure we need this one in the 'verse.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm mixed on the new ship so far. I havn't read enough about it to make up my mind. I personally like the artwork on it so far. There are always good reasons to add the ship, top reasons: universe age (if the game universe is actually old and didn't just pop into existence, there would be hundreds of years of space travel in all kinds of vessels), realistic competition (just like we have more than one kind of car, there will be plenty of different ship makers all creating a ships that fill certain common roles, with the more common the role/size of the market, the more likely multiple ship builders create a product that fills that need).

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
If you are a subscriber, you got invited to the PTU. Personally, I don't agree with this move by CIG. They're monetizing PTU access (you want into the PTU? Throw in $10 and become a subscriber and you get it).

I'm a subscriber, and I agree with you. PTU is all about hardcore testing and people willing to put up with constant patches so a cleaner build hits the big crowd.

There's probably subscribers who never even log into the PTU or the PU, so that's a waste just giving all of them blanket access.

Besides - I got my nifty space cactus. I'm happy enough with that. ;)

Flair_201604_may_space_cactus.jpg

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I'm a subscriber, and I agree with you. PTU is all about hardcore testing and people willing to put up with constant patches so a cleaner build hits the big crowd.

There's probably subscribers who never even log into the PTU or the PU, so that's a waste just giving all of them blanket access.

Besides - I got my nifty space cactus. I'm happy enough with that. ;)

Flair_201604_may_space_cactus.jpg

And you should be even happier you can put your space cactus in your hanger wherever you want (almost)!

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I have a proposition for a new small icon (thumbnail icon) for AT Ballers. It is the third icon used on RSI forums under your avatar:

BJj81g6.png

I made it based on official round icons (like Civilian, Backer, Mercenary and so on), with the "A" from AnandTech logo (but without the orange bar on A - to avoid copyright and similar issues).

I think that a icon with a basic circle shape, without too much detail and easily recognizable is best for this purpose.

So instead of this icon:

OLDSBAMENT-Thumbnail.png

I propose this icon:

37tHSNW.png

Reduced at 24x24 size (as used on RSI forums):

AcB10hZ.png

In the RSI forums it will look like this:

yU27PQs.png

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I like it. They make that icon so small that you can't really tell what the current one is.

Feb 4, 2009
Not sure what to think of this email:

Greetings Captain,

As the proud owner of a Drake Interplanetary Cutlass Black, you know that we build starships for the working man. From the multifaceted Cutlass to the massive Caterpillar platform, our ships put enabling your lifestyle first.

Tomorrow, we will officially unveil the next generation of Drake fighters: the Buccaneer fighter. The Buccaneer is a ship designed for the way YOU live; an agile and armed fighter craft capable of tangling with any number of interstellar threats, with the interchangeable components that you’ve come to expect from Drake.

To thank you for your support of the Cutlass Black, we are proud to give you this first look at the Buccaneer as well as an exclusive rebate/trade-in offer. The included single-use coupon will give you an exclusive 10,000 UEC ($10 USD) discount on the purchase of a new Buccaneer or on the trade-in of your existing Cutlass Black