Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 218 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
Exactly. Notice how they go into calling me a troll.

I'm just trying to help you with the shut off valve

Kick starter & early access stuff always comes with risk attached its safe to say everyone on this forum realize this. What you added has merit you weaken your point with bickering.

Last edited:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Here is what I think is going to happen. The baby pu and assets are gonna get tossed because they cant get it working in current form. They have a new "engine" and wil rewrite with that new efficiency in mind. All hands on deck for the S42 build out. S42 will release in episodic form with the first so many mission (20 maybe of 100 promised) in 2017. When sales of that are bad because everyone who wants it already has it the company will fold. Croberts has already discussed "minimum viable product"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_viable_product

He needs to put out a minimum viable product of the pu or else the lawsuits will be fierce. Those of us in the US dont have much in the way of consumer protections in this area but the EU countries absolutely do.

What they should of done is had a round of testing of different engines by knowledgeable people in the industry. Find the one that is most efficient with resources and netcode and is already 64bit and move forward. They stepped in the dooky so to speak and croberts didnt want to listen to the engineering challenges before him. He burned through a ton of money needlessly. He is a game designer who hasnt worked in the industry since 2002 at the latest. A lot has changed in that time and game designers aren't the be all end up of the tech side of game making.

note to mods: Im writing in this thread because I am being addressed. If my opinions are uncomfortable they are uncomfortable for the real reasons I outline and not because of being a troll or whatever. Yes I use gifs/jpgs to be lighthearted about the whole glorious mess.

Are you following the project on a weekly basis? This claim "The baby pu and assets are gonna get tossed because they cant get it working in current form. They have a new "engine" and wil rewrite with that new efficiency in mind." has no foundation. In fact, they're currently saying the exact opposite. The latest 10 for the Devs is filled with information that completely nukes your thinking.

If not you might have missed that they are about to roll out (in a week or so) an expanded PU with persistence, etc. More locations likely and landable planets just around the corner.

So no, they're not abandoning anything anytime soon and there's zero evidence to say otherwise.

Last edited:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I dont really trust the sales material coming out of cig. Sorry.

Nah, you just refuse to acknowledge any legitimate information that dissolves your delusional narrative.

You're just far too invested in the anti-CIG stance you've taken to back down, even if it makes you look like a fool.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Nah, you just refuse to acknowledge any legitimate information that dissolves your delusional narrative.

You're just far too invested in the anti-CIG stance you've taken to back down, even if it makes you look like a fool.

It makes much more sense that all of these people are in on a big conspiracy and putting their reputations at risk for a scam than it does that these talented individuals are trying to make the best game they can conceive of. They would have to work so hard to keep this conspiracy going that they could have made a game in the mean time.

Yes, I'm sure Sean Tracy is just making these videos up to save face for the company.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
If not you might have missed that they are about to roll out (in a week or so) an expanded PU with persistence, etc. More locations likely and landable planets just around the corner.

I will gladly eat crow if I can play in an expanded PU with persistence in a "week or so".

I think the timeframe for measuring 2.4 PTU (which hasn't even launched yet) to 2.4 live will be measured in months, not weeks.

All signs point to LOTS of blockers going on right now.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
At the end of the day, an expanded persistent PU instance "only" needs to encompass a single solar system, right? Anything past that is another solar system/anomaly/whatever where you're hitting a jump point to another instance/server. Not exactly a small task, but seems well within the realm of feasibility. Fully landable planets is where I'm highly skeptical. Feels like wasted effort to me that should be put into making the rest of the game as good as possible and revisit as an expansion.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Maybe once the persistence is introduced they will drop the PTU and only release live versions (PU).

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
At the end of the day, an expanded persistent PU instance "only" needs to encompass a single solar system, right? Anything past that is another solar system/anomaly/whatever where you're hitting a jump point to another instance/server. Not exactly a small task, but seems well within the realm of feasibility. Fully landable planets is where I'm highly skeptical. Feels like wasted effort to me that should be put into making the rest of the game as good as possible and revisit as an expansion.

They're required for the explorer profession. If you don't have billions of star systems or explorable planets, what is there to explore?

Maybe once the persistence is introduced they will drop the PTU and only release live versions (PU).

Unlikely. Elite has full on persistence and still does their own version of the PTU. It won't be going anywhere. Especially with persistence, you don't want an update bug causing someone to die and lose their progress.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Unlikely. Elite has full on persistence and still does their own version of the PTU. It won't be going anywhere. Especially with persistence, you don't want an update bug causing someone to die and lose their progress.

Heck, Eve is what, 12-13 years old, and they have their own test universe still. The point of the test is that it is just that, the test environment. Yes, the game is in alpha/pre-beta, and while technically everything is test, the main servers run more well tested code versions so that more useful information can be collected other than game crashes when X, Y, and Z all happen at the same time, causing a race condition not anticipated.

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
They're required for the explorer profession. If you don't have billions of star systems or explorable planets, what is there to explore?

I think it will also be very important for mining as well, due to the mining mechanic being a manual land / drill process and not just a "scan the planet and hit a button" mechanic like a lot of space games use.

And like you said, without the planet surfaces that could contain potential lifeforms and anomalies, exploration would be far more limited. One of the earlier trailers that made me excited about exploring was the one with the Connie Aquila detecting lifeforms, then dropping onto the planet surface with the crew stepping out. It really opens up the possibilities of what can be done in the game.

Last edited:

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
There will not be billions of star systems in Star Citizen. Maybe hundreds.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I will gladly eat crow if I can play in an expanded PU with persistence in a "week or so".

I think the timeframe for measuring 2.4 PTU (which hasn't even launched yet) to 2.4 live will be measured in months, not weeks.

All signs point to LOTS of blockers going on right now.

Maybe I didn't write clearly, but I didn't mean to imply the expanded PU was coming in a week or so. I said 'just around the corner'. What's coming soon is 2.4, which is just the 'start' of the rollout of features. 2.4 isn't everything, and will likely not have much of anything new other than some basic persistence. By 'just around the corner' I'm talking about everything that comes after 2.4.

Feb 4, 2009

Could be huge with some kind of procedural generation. I've never understood what the plan is for this and why wouldn't everything in a useful range be discovered within days or weeks of launch. I also don't get how a distant procedurally generated planet could be useful to any other player.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Dots in the sky that you can't fly to, sure, could be a lot. But I would not count them as star systems in Star Citizen.

That's kind of my point. The idea of there being billions of star systems is more a part of the lore. It's not like the universe lore will say there's only 100 star systems in the universe ;)

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015

I wasn't saying there would be. I was saying that if you don't have billions of systems (which they won't) then you need to have landable planets or explorers will have little to do.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
With this clarification, now I understand what you meant with those billions of star systems.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
If they ever reach 100 or even 50 star systems with actual artist content, I will be very happy.

The goal is to have an actual artist-created planetside landing zone in a lot of these systems. That is an immense undertaking, even with modularity and a lot of shared texture sets. I imagine there will be less than a dozen at launch, and they will be added as completed over time (years).

To me, this seems like the most ambitious part of the game. Every landing zone is like creating a rather large FPS level, and if you look at the concept artwork laid out for some of these zones (like Cassell and Terra), they're going to be very time-intensive to make and fill with content.

I also find this very exciting though - I believe this is what will make the universe feel alive. Heck, if we get Nyx, Microtech, Terra, Cassell, Crusader, and Area 18 at release, I think it will be a good accomplishment. At least we know from CIG these are all actively being worked on (and Hurston).

They have some amazing looking areas planned, but I think it will literally take years to progress through the list....

http://imgur.com/a/OPcaX

Last edited:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
A few months back, during a CIG vid where they were talking about lore and worm holes/jump points, the questions 'if jump points were so rare, why are there so many in the game?' was asked.

The answer was that since even a single galaxy can have billions of star systems, even if jump points are rare, you still might find 100 or so out of 29 Billion systems. And that's why we can explore the 100+ systems that will be in the game. These aren't by any means the only systems in the area, just the very few rare instances where jump points are found.

This was a great, reasonable way to explain why there might only be 100 systems in the game when the area itself is surrounded by thousands if not millions of stars.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
A few months back, during a CIG vid where they were talking about lore and worm holes/jump points, the questions 'if jump points were so rare, why are there so many in the game?' was asked.

The answer was that since even a single galaxy can have billions of star systems, even if jump points are rare, you still might find 100 or so out of 29 Billion systems. And that's why we can explore the 100+ systems that will be in the game. These aren't by any means the only systems in the area, just the very few rare instances where jump points are found.

This was a great, reasonable way to explain why there might only be 100 systems in the game when the area itself is surrounded by thousands if not millions of stars.

That is a great explanation, and also invites room for future expansion - new tech was discovered to aid in locating additional jump points, etc.