Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 190 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
One of the environment artists that worked on Gold Horizon has posted some nice screens.

Really looking forward to getting in there. Kind of has a creepy space-station "Metro 2033" feel to it with all the worn surfaces and obvious age.

kyle-bromley-kbromley-gh-13.jpg

More pics here:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/0EaVG

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I've made an RSI account using your code.

Awesome. Thanks!

Since the social module is still a work in progress, please post the username you used so I can add you to my contacts. If I'm ever online, hit me up for a match or something.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I posted this over at reddit

Last night, I had played about 10 full BR matches back to back, and eventually found myself in a match of 2 players. I thought other players would soon join, but nobody showed up for at least 5 minutes. During that time, the other pilot and I got into a heated 1 on 1 where we were both pretty much locked on and were able to blast each other with our weapons. I was in an Avenger, and he was in a Vanguard (iirc). We couldn't really hit each other unless we were both lined up, so we ended up playing this game where we'd cycle in and out of each other's pips to try and slip in a few shots. Eventually he ended up shooting me down, and I came back with a vengeance only to be taken down again.

Best fight I've put up in the game so far, and I feel pretty good to have 'annoyed' a much better pilot.

After a few other players joined, I went after some other guys, then tried to catch the original pilot off guard. I ended up getting one revenge kill and it was totally satisfying!
Anywho.. just a rant about how a 1 on 1 match that I almost abandoned ended up being the best fight I had in the game so far.

Question: The guy was in a Vanguard and I actually really put up a good fight. I connected with both weapons and several missiles actually connected and it still didn't take him down. I even tried to stay on him so his shields couldn't recharge so fast. I have put down other ships, even Avengers, with less effort. I was really on him, and it just felt like he was absorbing everything. The guy wasn't scared to let me blast him if it meant he could hit me back. And he had some green lasers or energy weapons that really seemed to mess me up.

Am I wrong to think that Vanguard vs Avenger isn't exactly a fair fight? I felt like I was fighting a tank and I loved it because it made things intense/difficult.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I posted this over at reddit

Question: The guy was in a Vanguard and I actually really put up a good fight. I connected with both weapons and several missiles actually connected and it still didn't take him down. I even tried to stay on him so his shields couldn't recharge so fast. I have put down other ships, even Avengers, with less effort. I was really on him, and it just felt like he was absorbing everything. The guy wasn't scared to let me blast him if it meant he could hit me back. And he had some green lasers or energy weapons that really seemed to mess me up.

Am I wrong to think that Vanguard vs Avenger isn't exactly a fair fight? I felt like I was fighting a tank and I loved it because it made things intense/difficult.

The Vanguard will get far more tankier than it is now (they haven't implemented the shields yet, and currently it is definitely weaker than it will be).

It is designed as a top-shelf deep space fighter, so taking one down will (I believe after things are balanced) be difficult and pretty rewarding in a weaker single-seat fighter.

That's where "fair" comes in. The Avenger has a significant advantage in maneuverability. That's the card that will have to be played to stay out of Vanguard fire and work to the Avenger's strengths. The Vanguard does (and should) have a big DPS advantage. The Avenger is a smaller target, the Vanguard is a big target, and that's a huge balancing factor.

Also, the Suckerpunch isn't a fully functioning weapon yet, and in BR, it you won't see the advantage of it. BR is most certainly not balanced yet. Ballistic weapons are king, as currently they penetrate both shields and armor. The big ballistic on the Vanguard will do serious harm when it makes contact.

So the TL: DR is, the Avenger vs the Vanguard is a fair fight, and winnable by both parties as long as they play to their ship's strengths.

Even an M50 pilot with a pair of pea-shooters will be able to take down a Vanguard, but it will take a high level of skill from the M50 pilot to avoid fire and keep pressure on the Vanguard until the shields are down.

Last edited:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
The Vanguard will get far more tankier than it is now (they haven't implemented the shields yet, and currently it is definitely weaker than it will be).

It is designed as a top-shelf deep space fighter, so taking one down will (I believe after things are balanced) be difficult and pretty rewarding in a weaker single-seat fighter.

That's where "fair" comes in. The Avenger has a significant advantage in maneuverability. That's the card that will have to be played to stay out of Vanguard fire and work to the Avenger's strengths. The Vanguard does (and should) have a big DPS advantage. The Avenger is a smaller target, the Vanguard is a big target, and that's a huge balancing factor.

Also, the Suckerpunch isn't a fully functioning weapon yet, and in BR, it you won't see the advantage of it. BR is most certainly not balanced yet. Ballistic weapons are king, as currently they penetrate both shields and armor. The big ballistic on the Vanguard will do serious harm when it makes contact.

So the TL: DR is, the Avenger vs the Vanguard is a fair fight, and winnable by both parties as long as they play to their ship's strengths.

Even an M50 pilot with a pair of pea-shooters will be able to take down a Vanguard, but it will take a high level of skill from the M50 pilot to avoid fire and keep pressure on the Vanguard until the shields are down.

Ok, that makes sense. I think the guy was definitely a better pilot (having a vanguard likely hints that its a serious player?) because he was doing some fancy decoupling moves when we were jousting and even though I was using decoupled mode to pivot quicker as well it was much sloppier and he was always the first to land return fire. At one point we were just going in circles where we were both strafing right, so I kept having to strafe up/down as well to try and avoid the fire. I think we went in circles for almost 2 minutes straight. So I think I handled myself pretty well but eventually just succumbed to him having the advantage.

My wrists still hurt a bit from how hard I was gripping my sticks!

Last edited:

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Awesome. Thanks!

Since the social module is still a work in progress, please post the username you used so I can add you to my contacts. If I'm ever online, hit me up for a match or something.

For now I only made an RSI account to test the game during this free play period. Did not bought the game (yet?). I am a little hesitant to pay 50 Euro for a game (the most that I ever payed for a game was 30 Euro and that was only once).

My RSI account.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Ok, that makes sense. I think the guy was definitely a better pilot (having a vanguard likely hints that its a serious player?) because he was doing some fancy decoupling moves when we were jousting and even though I was using decoupled mode to pivot quicker as well it was much sloppier and he was always the first to land return fire. At one point we were just going in circles where we were both strafing right, so I kept having to strafe up/down as well to try and avoid the fire. I think we went in circles for almost 2 minutes straight. So I think I handled myself pretty well but eventually just succumbed to him having the advantage.

My wrists still hurt a bit from how hard I was gripping my sticks!

Decoupling is a great tactic, unfortunately ESP is broken right now in decoupled mode, so it is very hard to aim (as you noticed). He may have been recoupling after the turn so ESP would work.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
"having a vanguard likely hints that its a serious player?"

Nope. Just a player with money enough to afford that ship.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
"having a vanguard likely hints that its a serious player?"

Well, I should rephrase that.. His piloting skills and his ownership of a vanguard may hint that he's a more serious player.

I mean.. I want a Vanguard now lol.. I think that means things are getting serious :p

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011

Enhanced Stick Precision. It is an aiming assist that adjusts sensitivity when you're trying to follow a target. It mainly keeps you from overshooting.

As a stick user, I always have it on. When I go into decoupled, I have a very hard time not overshooting targets when trying to aim (a lot of people are waiting for this to get fixed).

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011

There is a lot of truth to that. Remember when the Connies were released in 2.0? That ship is even more expensive, and you saw a bunch of players spawning their Connies who had likely never even logged in before (you could tell just from watching them try to take off, land, or maneuver around a space station without smashing into it. ;) ).

There are lots of guys with starter ships who are very, very good pilots, but just want to progress through the real game to move up to different ships. There's an Aurora LN pilot that commonly hits in the top 20 BR leaderboards!

I haven't spent much time in my Vanguard since the first patch it was released (unfortunately...because I would like to test it more). I heard maneuverability was nerfed in one of the more recent patches, so I need to give it a try again.

I love the cockpit. Has a decent interior. I like the idea of extended deep space missions, which is what the ship appears to be designed for. Though, we really don't know much about what that kind of mission would be.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Worthington I believe we have a pending baller application. SC Org is being difficult on my mobile (again).

Thanks

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I mean.. I want a Vanguard now lol.. I think that means things are getting serious :p

I think it's a cool ship and concept. I have the Harbinger BUK so I plan on trying out some bombing missions when that mechanic becomes available.

I am more anxious about getting the Redeemer in action, but that's probably a post SQ42 rework. I think it's going to be my favorite mid-sized ship in the game, especially if they come up with modules to make it useful for exploration.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I'm going to look further into this, and I have a video that I'm uploading, but I had a BR match last night that was plagued by the seemingly random and frequent 'pew pew' bug. Even when I spawned so far from everyone nobody came up in the first scan, I could still hear the gun firing like it was inside my cabin.

I noticed that it was coming from a player in an Anvil Hornet, and he seemed to be mono-boating one particular cannon. I don't recall what it was right now, but once the vid uploads I'm going to rewatch it and narrow it down and get more details.

1) I could hear the gun fire, very loudly, no matter where the player was.
2) I observed other players who weren't mono-boating that gun; they didn't create the bug.
3) I observed that the sound was only generated when the player fired. So it wasn't really random, but the way it was propogating the sound relative to distance seemed to be bugged.

Since I only experienced this once last night, I'm completely unsure if my observations are accurate or helpful. But I couldn't help but think, damn, when someone monoboats with that cannon, I wonder if there's a bug that's causing it to over-amplify the sound; maybe so much so that it's going up exponentially and maxing out dynamic range. Like.. say one should be Xdb loud, two should be X+Xdb loud, etc. But if it's squaring the value, or doing something else; it could be generating a value that's far beyond the max. So say the dynamic range is 0-100, 100 being the loudest. Maybe the bug is generating a value of 10000 so even if your halfway across the solar-system, the distance isn't even enough to bring that value down to 100. So no matter what or where, it's playing at the max 100.

Sorry, it's early for me. I'll post the vid and check out rsi's bug log to see how much of this has been addressed.

One thing's for certain, with how prevalent the 'pew pew' bug has been, they should change the sound a little bit.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
There is one particular gun that has a sound bug that makes it sound like it is close to you. It's known and being worked on.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Indeed - - as Sabre said, this is a known issue.

It occurs with both the Longsword and Broadsword, and it's been annoying people since 1.3. ;) I find it VERY annoying.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
There is one particular gun that has a sound bug that makes it sound like it is close to you. It's known and being worked on.

I'm uploading the video from my home server now. Once it's on youtube, I'm going to watch it and note the gun the ship was using. I noticed other players using same weapon without error, and it only seemed to create the bug with the guy who was monoboating the gun.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Indeed - - as Sabre said, this is a known issue.

It occurs with both the Longsword and Broadsword, and it's been annoying people since 1.3. ;) I find it VERY annoying.

Once they get it figured out, they should change the sound completely. The current sound bite is like nails on a chalkboard.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
It was an Anvil Hornet F7CM monoboating with a GATS Ballistic Cannon S2. Anytime he fired, it was 100% loud anywhere on the map.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
It was an Anvil Hornet F7CM monoboating with a GATS Ballistic Cannon S2. Anytime he fired, it was 100% loud anywhere on the map.

GATS? I'm unfamiliar...Gallenson?

Probably not, as the Mantis overheats about a second after you pull the trigger. I miss the Mantis...that was one bad*ss gun before they made it worthless.

Last edited: