Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 189 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
TechBoyJK....I gotta ask: is your chair reclined? I can't tell if you're just leaning backwards or if your chair is reclined. Does looking upwards at the screen all the time strain your neck?

Also, what do you have on the other two monitors? Just static images of stars?

Regardless, I agree with Stringjam....and I enjoyed watching your video.

Ha, people ask all the time.

I had some cervical curve problems the last few years and if my screens aren't angled up a little bit, I tend to lean forward and use bad posture. So if I have to look up just a little bit, it keeps my head back and balanced over my shoulders. I run the risk of my cervical curve kinda collapsing and pinching nerves if I lean forward too much... so it's kind of a special case. I'm basically over compensating to make sure I don't mess things up again.

But yes, I do lean back slightly.

I've been testing the screens at different heights. They're a little too high right now and I'm going to lower them about an inch. Not much though.

I'm seriously thinking about buying a gaming chair, and building a mobile desk/pod for my controllers. I have a 50" 1080p tv hooked up via hdmi and I'm thinking I might rather play on that.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Maybe when more is playable.

Just wanted to note that it's "Free Fly" week. All you need is an account on the RSI site, download the launcher / game, and you can play for the rest of the week. That includes Crusader (mini PU), Social Module, and Arena Commander.

I believe you also get access to a Hornet F7C, Mustang, and Aurora to fly.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Just wanted to note that it's "Free Fly" week. All you need is an account on the RSI site, download the launcher / game, and you can play for the rest of the week. That includes Crusader (mini PU), Social Module, and Arena Commander.

I believe you also get access to a Hornet F7C, Mustang, and Aurora to fly.

cough cough

New to the game and want to start with 5000 extra credits?

Help me and you out by using the code below to join up:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

STAR-MJZ9-FBMW

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
is there a 'friend' list yet? Or is that still a work in progress?

I don't think there is one outside the game client contact list atm, maybe with Org 2.0(no release date set). I made a separate org for friends and family.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Thanks! That's all I found...the contact list on rsi.com/myaccount

I'm adding everyone in OLDSBASEMENT now (why's it OLDSBAMENT?)

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Ooooh...I didn't realize you could get rid of the nose gun on the Avenger. I hope that's not an oversight and they lock it back down again.

Same here! No idea you could do anything with the nose gun. What mount did he use for the Size 3 repeater? I didn't understand that part. I didn't think mounts were needed for fixed weapons....only gimbals.

Wonder if the nose gun on the Gladius is removable too.....

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Wonder if the nose gun on the Gladius is removable too.....

It is, at least last time I used it. I used to load it up with 3x Tarantulas.

Note though - you can't mount anything bigger than S2. The Gladius doesn't follow the rule of "one size bigger" if you take the gimbal off...you have to mount it to the gimbal.

Though an S3 anything would look pretty ridiculous on the little Gladius nose. ;)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Thanks! That's all I found...the contact list on rsi.com/myaccount

I'm adding everyone in OLDSBASEMENT now (why's it OLDSBAMENT?)

I its capped at 10 characters. Search forums for olds basement, one of the fun moments was when the forums were acting crappy someone set up oldsbasement.com as a joke forum site. It was overrun with spam bots almost immediately.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Since I only have 1 ship (Avenger Stalker), there's no way for me to acquire different weapons at this point, is there?

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Since I only have 1 ship (Avenger Stalker), there's no way for me to acquire different weapons at this point, is there?

Yes. You can participate in Arena Commander "Spectrum" matches (Vanduul Coop, Racing, Battle Royale, etc..) and earn REC. REC lets you both rent weapons and ships.

If you spend much time in there, REC builds up pretty fast.

The other, non-free way is to buy credits with real money and purchase weapons from the Voyager Direct store.

I will say, though, that for the purposes of Crusader and Vanduul Swarm, the stock loadout on the Avenger is pretty darn good. For use in Battle Royale, I prefer to change the wing guns to Tarantulas.

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
No idea you could do anything with the nose gun. What mount did he use for the Size 3 repeater? I didn't understand that part. I didn't think mounts were needed for fixed weapons....only gimbals.

It's an adapter found on the Sabre. I'm not sure if it's available separately or not.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Yes. You can participate in Arena Commander "Spectrum" matches (Vanduul Coop, Racing, Battle Royale, etc..) and earn REC. REC lets you both rent weapons and ships.

If you spend much time in there, REC builds up pretty fast.

The other, non-free way is to buy credits with real money and purchase weapons from the Voyager Direct store.

I will say, though, that for the purposes of Crusader and Vanduul Swarm, the stock loadout on the Avenger is pretty darn good. For use in Battle Royale, I prefer to change the wing guns to Tarantulas.

My REC earning advice: race Old Vanderval. Races take 3-4 minutes tops and even if you finish last, you normally still earn some REC.

With your dual stick setup and in an Avenger, I doubt you'll finish last (after you get used to the track, that is. Turn 2 is still a bitch).

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
How is Chris Robert's Space Garage Simulator coming along?

Pretty well. Space stations, quantum travel, gas giants, asteroid fields, moons, lots of good times.

Ok, so it's a specialty mount. I'll have to research this.

I just ran around VS with the monoboat Avenger, and it just stole my heard. It really is the best sub $100 ship IMO. Granted, right now you need a Sabre to monoboat it (unless that adapter can be found elsewhere), but even besides that it's a beast.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I just ran around VS with the monoboat Avenger, and it just stole my heard. It really is the best sub $100 ship IMO.

I concur. For a versatile single-singer, it's currently the best value in the game.

If the removable front nose gun is not just a bug, even more so. I've always wanted to put 3x Tarantulas on that thing, or maybe once we see how distortion cannons really work, a big S3 distortion cannon. I could see that being really handy in the real world (PU) for bounty hunting.

That's kind of a big question mark right now though. The Sucker Punches aren't working as they were designed...I think they were just given some damage values as placeholders, because as I understand it, these guns were designed for knocking out ship systems without damaging the ship. I believe right now, they're actually doing damage.

Last edited: