Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 150 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
By the time the game goes to beta, the Cryengine they use will be so outdated it will be near garbage...

Ie... Dice's frostbyte engine completely decimates cryengine, and lets not even go into Ubisoft's Snowdrop engine for the division.

What are you basing these assumptions on?

Cryengine was 64-point precision before those other engines (if you want to call Frostbite an "engine," it's largely 3rd party modules) were even in diapers. It was only converted to 32-bit for use on console ports.

It's still a cutting edge engine capable of rendering amazing work. The AI engine is light-years ahead of Frostbite. Did any of you play Pirate Swarm in Arena Commander? It's NPC AI with the gloves taken off - - hands down the best AI flight characteristics in any space game I've ever seen.

I don't know what to say to the Elite: Dangerous guys - - go play your game and enjoy it if you do. But saying SC has poor physics and flight modeling? Do you really believe ships in space have artificial constraints on yaw and fly like atmospheric planes? SC doesn't need a flight model rework, it just needs some modified values, something they're actively doing - because, you know...ALPHA.

I didn't enjoy the time I spent playing ED, but I don't jump into your threads and call it a sh*t game.

Play what you enjoy and quit being assholes to fellow PC gamers who are into other stuff. I have over 60 hours now in Arena Commander, and I've had a blast. I don't regret a single cent I've spent backing this project.

Last edited:

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
lol if you think that looks normal.

Here is just a normal guy who has given a bunch of money to sc:

pcgamer.png

looks normal and well adjusted.

Post a picture of yourself so we can judge you, too. I'm sure you're 10/10 would bang, right?

Constructive criticism is great, but a couple of you are just plain old idiots.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Buy Elite: Dangerous, instead. This "game" is just a crap arena shooter with horrible flight physics, and a "social" module where the only thing to do is drive around in little buggies that blow up after slightly touching something. There are plenty of other space games cheaper than elite that have better and more gameplay than star citizen.

If you want a primer on this game, this recent story is good for noobs: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/the-mo...4-million--so-where-is-it-213831707.html?nf=1

This "game" is more of a ponzi scheme that is more focused on getting Chris Roberts back into hollywood than actually producing a playable product.

To be clear, I'm not looking to 'buy' the game. I know this is early alpha stuff with SC. I spent years playing in the CryEngine sandbox for shits and giggles. I'm more interested in the project itself and I'm not ready to jump into a space sim full go. I have quite a few actual games on my todo list, including FallOut4 and Witcher 3.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
lol if you think that looks normal.

Here is just a normal guy who has given a bunch of money to sc:

pcgamer.png

looks normal and well adjusted.

Looks like a nice dude and someone I could see my gf dating. Maybe his parents died in some weird accident and he got a windfall of cash so a collection like that isn't so unreasonable.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Gosh I missed you guys! Nothing like another bout of intestinal flu to really make you appreciate being alive. Besides, it's always great to watch the froth in your mouths as you try and reconcile project progress with your "it's never happening" narrative.

First they said it'll never happen, they're just movies and renders. Then we got the hangar.
Then they said you'll never play, they're just set pieces! We received Arena Commander.
Then they said we'll never have the universe. And we received the Social module, 64 bit conversion. We saw the beginning, stations, asteroids, EVA, FPS, oh my!
But what about the campaign? Surely you're robbing us now, nevermind standard development practices and one of the most open development process in gaming history. We were given the future of in game cinematic and we were introduced to the majesty of the Morrow.

It's truly amusing watching you trolls having to scurry about pushing your goal posts backward. But that's fine because CHOOOOOO CHOOOOOO! RSI keeps on delivering :awe:

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Looks like a nice dude and someone I could see my gf dating. Maybe his parents died in some weird accident and he got a windfall of cash so a collection like that isn't so unreasonable.

I do have ethical problems with this kind of decadence. 35k is a life changing sum of money to some. Hell you could feed a poor African village for years with that money.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I do have ethical problems with this kind of decadence. 35k is a life changing sum of money to some. Hell you could feed a poor African village for years with that money.

Where do you draw the line? How much did your computer cost? I'm sure that would help quite a bit as well. What about any item you own that has any flair above basic utility?

Slippery slope. Let people spend their money how they wish. How do you know he hasn't also been quite the philanthropist? Judge not lest...

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Where do you draw the line? How much did your computer cost? I'm sure that would help quite a bit as well. What about any item you own that has any flair above basic utility?

Slippery slope. Let people spend their money how they wish. How do you know he hasn't also been quite the philanthropist? Judge not lest...

I find that people who use the "starving Africans" trope to justify their criticism of how people spend their money typically do little with their own income or time to help those programs.

I've always felt like it's none of my business what other people do with their money, but there seems to be a lot of folks in this thread wringing their hands over it.

Feb 4, 2009
I find that people who use the "starving Africans" trope to justify their criticism of how people spend their money typically do little with their own income or time to help those programs.

I've always felt like it's none of my business what other people do with their money, but there seems to be a lot of folks in this thread wringing their hands over it.

No line its simply decadent. He's free to spend as he see's fit.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Who gets to define "decadent"? Who defines "moral"? Note, I'm definitely NOT an anarchist, and I do in fact agree with you FM in that 35k is ridiculous and could be used for any number of "better" causes/things. But that's simply our perspective, and the second sentence of your last post sums it up nicely.

We're also treading into politics...let's try and avoid this please guys!

On another note: The Studio led by the scheming fraudster CR whose sole aim is to steal our money...by spending it on game development...has released another detailed progress report for October :awe:

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011
Sorry to ask this if it's been recently answered, but is there a sort of summary of what's happened regarding this game's features and development? Also, how big of an advantage will pre-order people have when the persistent universe is rolled out?

Thanks very much for any info!

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Who gets to define "decadent"? Who defines "moral"? Note, I'm definitely NOT an anarchist, and I do in fact agree with you FM in that 35k is ridiculous and could be used for any number of "better" causes/things. But that's simply our perspective, and the second sentence of your last post sums it up nicely.

We're also treading into politics...let's try and avoid this please guys!

On another note: The Studio led by the scheming fraudster CR whose sole aim is to steal our money...by spending it on game development...has released another detailed progress report for October :awe:

It's the most elaborate scam/ponzi scheme ever. See, what they do is, they take in all this money and promise a game. Then, they use said money to stand up a studio in the appearance that they're actually making the game. While they do this, they take in more money and use that to start making the game and giving it to backers, showing progress the whole way. Here's the kicker, they keep making the game to keep up appearances and will give the game to backers to keep them off their back.

I mean, if they're not careful, this scam might actually produce a game. :eek:

In other news, new UI video is up! It's gorgeous! It captures everything I love about Rogue System with the high tech flair appropriate for SC's universe. BTW, I'm pretty stoked the Avenger is getting a 2D radar like the Tali and Merlin. That's my preference.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/144917841

Sorry to ask this if it's been recently answered, but is there a sort of summary of what's happened regarding this game's features and development? Also, how big of an advantage will pre-order people have when the persistent universe is rolled out?

Thanks very much for any info!

Hmm, one big development summary... I thought someone had put something on Reddit recently but I can't find it at the moment. Any specific questions about it?

Regarding to the advantage, it's hard to say. No ship is the best at all things. In fact, most are either not the best at anything, but pretty good at a lot of things. Some are the best at something, but terrible outside their primary mission. Larger ships have more operating costs and/or require more people/NPCs to run efficiently.

Plus, the universe will be full of millions of NPCs, so players won't really be your biggest worry in the verse. The bigger and more powerful your ship, the potentially sweeter target you are. Most in the everyday Aurora will get passed up as not worth the time. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have my ships because I like them and wanted to support the project, not because I felt like it gives an advantage. Everyone can acquire every ship through legitimate and illegitimate means. It's up to you.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
So - update on the controls experiments.

Got my Thrustmaster T16000M "strafe stick" in this morning.

A few notes about that unit:
-Very comfortable and smooth - seems like a very good stick for the price
-Ambidextrous means you give up some buttons that I find very useful for the primary stick (pinky fire, thumb hat). The benefit of course - ambidextrous!
-Unlike my CH, all of the buttons on the top are accessible with my thumb without stretching - nice ergonomics!
-Stick is a little bit wobbly to hold because of the twist axis - not a big deal on a strafe stick. I would probably mind it more for primary.
-PRICE - An accurate, comfortable stick for $43!

After about 30 minutes - I think this is going to be my control setup for SC. Awesome control over strafing. I mapped roll to the twist, and so far that's going okay. Still working that one out in my brain, but I'll give it time.

Dual sticks really makes you feel like you're flying a spaceship. Combining the 6DoF movements feels more intuitive with this setup than any I've tried so far.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Most in the everyday Aurora will get passed up as not worth the time. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have my ships because I like them and wanted to support the project, not because I felt like it gives an advantage. Everyone can acquire every ship through legitimate and illegitimate means. It's up to you.

Well stated. Especially the part about me in my Aurora not being worth the time. Nothing to see here. Move along. :)

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Very interesting article on one of the really big backers of the game. I'm almost surprised he doesn't get more twitch viewers with what he can show.

Yeah, that was a very interesting article. Nice dude. I don't judge anyone on how much they spend on any hobby.....and this guy had a financially sound approach to his Star Citizen spend.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stingjam - thanks for the update! I'm following your results intently as dual T16000 is one option (the SC HOTAS being another) I'm considering.

The thing I'm still wondering about....when you land and go first person....are you still going to use dual sticks? Or switch to the more traditional mouse/keyboard?

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Stingjam - thanks for the update! I'm following your results intently as dual T16000 is one option (the SC HOTAS being another) I'm considering.

The thing I'm still wondering about....when you land and go first person....are you still going to use dual sticks? Or switch to the more traditional mouse/keyboard?

As far as dual-stick, consider me a convert. ;) I've got about 4 hours committed now, and I can't imagine going back to HOTAS. Once you get your brain rewired, it just makes so much sense. I wish I hadn't waited so long to try it out.

When I'm in FP character, I'll go M/KB.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

I understand the sentiment, but it's really none of your business.

A Tesla is $70k, twice what that guy spent.

You don't NEED a Tesla. There's plenty of Honda Civics out there for a few grand that will get you from point A to point B.

Do you look at every Tesla and think 'that could have saved 2 villages?'

Feb 4, 2009
I understand the sentiment, but it's really none of your business.

A Tesla is $70k, twice what that guy spent.

You don't NEED a Tesla. There's plenty of Honda Civics out there for a few grand that will get you from point A to point B.

Do you look at every Tesla and think 'that could have saved 2 villages?'

Funny I was going to say its like buying a 60k non commercial car. I just can't get over 35k for a digital good.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
In other news, new UI video is up! It's gorgeous! It captures everything I love about Rogue System with the high tech flair appropriate for SC's universe. BTW, I'm pretty stoked the Avenger is getting a 2D radar like the Tali and Merlin. That's my preference.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/144917841

Awesome!!! I've been wishing all my ships had the Merlin-style radar - looks like I might get it!

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Awesome!!! I've been wishing all my ships had the Merlin-style radar - looks like I might get it!

I actually suspect that they have made it completely modular with you being able to swap out the different radar types with different components installed on your ship.