Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 146 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
1.3 has been a mixed bag for me so far. For the most part it's a win! They really need to iron out stability in spectrum matches, though. I think I've finished one out of every three or four, the rest crashing to desktop with no error boxes at all. A lot of lost REC there...

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I tried out 1.3. I don't care for the lighting "improvements" in the Selfland hangar. It's too dark now. And for some reason in 1.3, my Aurora is missing from my hangar, replaced with a Vanduul Glaive.

I did enjoy Arc Corp. Got in a buggy with someone. They ran us into a wall. Woke up in the hospital. Did it again.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I tried out 1.3. I don't care for the lighting "improvements" in the Selfland hangar. It's too dark now. And for some reason in 1.3, my Aurora is missing from my hangar, replaced with a Vanduul Glaive.

I did enjoy Arc Corp. Got in a buggy with someone. They ran us into a wall. Woke up in the hospital. Did it again.

Yeah, there's some issues with the hangar lighting at the moment - and Selfland is still pending a lighting pass that wasn't released with this patch.

For some reason, it appears there is fog in R&Y.

That's weird with the missing Aurora. Does it show a Glaive in your hangar config at the RSI website?

Have you tried deleting your inventory.xml file since the latest patch? That seems to fix 99% of the inventory issues I get moving from patch to patch.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Yeah, there's some issues with the hangar lighting at the moment - and Selfland is still pending a lighting pass that wasn't released with this patch.

For some reason, it appears there is fog in R&Y.

That's weird with the missing Aurora. Does it show a Glaive in your hangar config at the RSI website?

Have you tried deleting your inventory.xml file since the latest patch? That seems to fix 99% of the inventory issues I get moving from patch to patch.

I completely deleted Star Citizen from my machine (launcher, folders, files...you name it) before installing this patch. I didn't want to take any chances with the new code merge.

I don't have my Aurora assigned to any bay in my hangar on the website. I purposely keep it blank so that when the free fly weeks come, the free fly ships actually show up in my hangar (at least that's what's worked for me).

I will say that Arc Corp looked amazing. I can't wait (yeah, I know....I'm gonna have to) for further iterations of the social module.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
I purposely keep it blank so that when the free fly weeks come, the free fly ships actually show up in my hangar (at least that's what's worked for me).

It seems this was changed in 1.3, possibly unintentionally.

Pre-1.3 - with unassigned slots on the hangar maintenance page multiple bays were filled with random ships from the CitizenCon free fly code.

Post-1.3 - my groups hangars are only showing a single bay, my hangar is displaying my Tail and my friend's hangar is only showing a Glaive which he doesn't own. Both of us own multiple hangar ready ships.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I will say that Arc Corp looked amazing. I can't wait (yeah, I know....I'm gonna have to) for further iterations of the social module.

Yeah, I was pretty amazed at the level of detail ArcCorp has even at this point.

If this is any indicator of the level of quality we will see at the various planet-side landing points, I'm very excited about where this is going to go (Microtech and Terra should be amazing).

n1o8fnG.jpg

lE6zxP1.jpg

Last edited:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
It seems this was changed in 1.3, possibly unintentionally.

Pre-1.3 - with unassigned slots on the hangar maintenance page multiple bays were filled with random ships from the CitizenCon free fly code.

Post-1.3 - my groups hangars are only showing a single bay, my hangar is displaying my Tail and my friend's hangar is only showing a Glaive which he doesn't own. Both of us own multiple hangar ready ships.

Good to know it's not just me with a Glaive. Interesting though that I only own an Aurora LN...not multiple ships.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Yeah, I was pretty amazed at the level of detail ArcCorp has even at this point.

If this is any indicator of the level of quality we will see at the various planet-side landing points, I'm very excited about where this is going to go (Microtech and Terra should be amazing).

n1o8fnG.jpg

lE6zxP1.jpg

Agreed. All this detail is enough to keep this explorer happy for a long time.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
Just did a quick hangar check, now that the free flight week is over all my group's ships are loading properly in the module without being assigned in the hangar on the website. So it appears to be something with the free flight ship handling.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Tried to play BR tonight and never finished a round. Usually 4 or 5 minutes in at the most is all I could get before getting kicked.

There's definitely some 1.3 bugs to get fixed in AC. I never had any issues in VS.

EDIT: I figured out how to actually make it through BR matches. Play Dying Star instead of Broken Moon. :)

Last edited:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Looks great I do hope they mix up the architecture a bit planet to planet. Some places look too clean.

Agreed. I'm hoping for a lot geographical/weather variety too (rainy, snowy, desert, jungle, rocky, city, cloud city, etc.).

And yes, now that free fly week is over, I have my Aurora back in my hangar (instead of the Glaive).

I flew a couple laps of Old Vanderval in it last night. I don't think thrusters work (or if they do, they've been so nerfed as to be completely ineffective). I was sliding all over the place.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Agreed. I'm hoping for a lot geographical/weather variety too (rainy, snowy, desert, jungle, rocky, city, cloud city, etc.).

I'm hoping for that too. Cryengine itself has built in functionality now for dynamic weather conditions, so it shouldn't be too big of a jump for them.

Plus, just browsing around the StarMap at the planetside points, there seems to be a pretty big diversity in the planet descriptions.

The wait is killing me. I just want to jump in my Aquila and head out the hangar into that giant star map. I feel like it will likely be another year or more before some form of the PU truly arrives, but I'm confident at this stage that it will eventually get there.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
The wait is killing me. I just want to jump in my Aquila and head out the hangar into that giant star map. I feel like it will likely be another year or more before some form of the PU truly arrives, but I'm confident at this stage that it will eventually get there.

I'm with you. The weekly updates have me worried. It sounds like AC 2.0 is closer than we might think. But.....they may be setting expectations that are unrealistic and are setting us up for disappointment when they're not realized.

I mean, I look at the blockers and the progress and tell myself: yeah 2.0 could be out as soon as November.

I need to stop doing that.

Especially given how buggy 1.3 currently is already.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I'm with you. The weekly updates have me worried. It sounds like AC 2.0 is closer than we might think. But.....they may be setting expectations that are unrealistic and are setting us up for disappointment when they're not realized.

Yeah, I take their ambitions with an asteroid-sized grain of salt.

I predict that at some point late next year, they will release v.1 of the PU, and that it will be at probably 20% scope, and they will continue over the next several years that the game is profitable, streaming content as it is completed.

I mean, right now we have ArcCorp, which is a pretty cool landing zone. But even if they completed a single additional landing zone every month for the next year (which is likely not feasible even with their new modular content pipeline), that's only a dozen or so landing zones.

That would still be awesome, IMO....but they have promised much more. I would rather they just release what they can after getting to a cohesive point, and roll out content as they go (much like they're doing with AC).

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I don't doubt they can pump out the landing zone content at a good pace once the system is ironed out. Getting all of the framework in place and deciding exactly what they will do is the hard part. They're already talked about how they plan to streamline landing zone creation to have them all online when the PU goes 1.0. There will even be systems and zones out there that are waiting to be discovered and not on the official list.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
Yeah, pretty sure I'm going to CCU to an exploring ship from my Hull A...now I need to decide which one....

Well if you are looking strictly at stock dedicated explorers your options are:

315P - $5 upgrade, starter explorer, can map smallest jump points(the other ships may not be able to fit)

Freelancer DUR - $65 upgrade, additional range, sensors, crew and cargo capacity

Constellation Aquila - $215 upgrade, increased Freelancer benefits plus a rover and snub fighter

Carrack - $265 upgrade when available, the current pinnacle of exploration ships, increased Aquila benefits, may possibly be limited to mapping the larger jump points

If you don't want a dedicated explorer your options are pretty much any ship out atm. They may not excel at exploring but you can explore in them.

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
If you don't want a dedicated explorer your options are pretty much any ship out atm. They may not excel at exploring but you can explore in them.

That's kind of the tricky thing to figure out until the PU is launched. With so much modularity in the ship options, you can probably outfit any ship to some degree for exploration. Some will obviously be much better than others.

I mean, that Hull A might actually make a good base explorer ship too if you get a jump drive and scanner package.

That's about the only difference between a 300i and 315p is the scanner, jump drive and a tractor beam, all of which I believe you will be able to fit to any 3xx.

Last edited:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Big changes to the flight model are coming:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...31-Star-Citizen-Alpha-20-Flight-Model-Changes

And these changes, IMO, are AWESOME. :thumbsup:

Agreed. These changes are game changers (no, literally!).

I've been hesitant to invest time in AC because of these pending changes (which have been talked about for over a year now). Looks like 2.0 will be a major step forward in the iterative process of defining the flight model and ship balance. Good stuff.

Edit: And I've only read the post once. It's so comprehensive, it requires multiple reads......(at least for me)

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Agreed. These changes are game changers (no, literally!).

I've been hesitant to invest time in AC because of these pending changes (which have been talked about for over a year now). Looks like 2.0 will be a major step forward in the iterative process of defining the flight model and ship balance. Good stuff.

Edit: And I've only read the post once. It's so comprehensive, it requires multiple reads......(at least for me)

It does take a few reads for me as well.

This won't get as much press as other visible content related to the game or module releases, but it is the CORE component of the gameplay. Those who have been following these discussions forever back and forth with Calix Reneaux and the community were starting to worry that this wasn't going to be properly addressed, but it looks like they've pulled it together.

Everything I read in that release and further explanations of the mechanics lead me to believe that all of those changes are headed in the right direction, and are going to make a significant improvement in the overall experience of AC 2.0.

I was already stoked for 2.0, but now I'm downright giddy. It's been a very long wait, but we are finally starting to see all of these different systems come together. Hopefully 2.0 will deliver, and we'll get a taste Star Citizen's real potential.

Last edited: