Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 120 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
Do you think Saitek knows more than we do or did they just hop on the hype train and hope for the best? The RSI branded custom hardware isn't due out until next year. I just can't see them entering into a contract and just assuming it will work out without some kind of research or insight beyond public backer knowledge.

For those interested:

The first round of Social Module PTU invites started going out last night. They'll be sent out in waves via email like the first version of AC.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I'm generally in agreement with Bobberfett.

I think the overly detailed ship models, FPS and boarding gameplay is going to really screw this game up. So, instead of just making ships with rendered 3d models, specific hit boxes, and flight characteristics, the game engine has to also deal with the interior of all large ships, as well as all of the different thrusters, oh and don't forget the detailed ship damage to specific systems thing. All of this using an FPS engine.

I think this is why there have been, and will continue to be tons of delays. Even without the interiors of of the ships, basing movement of each ship on the individual thrusters/engines is going to be a crushing resource hog. Then add the fact that the ships aren't models with hit boxes, but the engine has to keep track, and maybe render, the interiors. Yeah, this thing is going to make Arkham Knight look like a Valve Developed game in terms of reliability.

This level of detail simply can't be shoehorned into an off the shelf FPS engine. It would have been a stretch to just use the Cryengine for large battles between 3d models with hitboxes and ok damage detection. They should have stuck with that for space battles, and then added docking/landing transitions that allowed the players to get out and walk in separate environments.

This game is going to be an absolute debacle. The smartest thing anyone who's put money into this game can do is to sell their account NOW, while they still can.

It's sad, because I really wanted this game to be awesome.

Oh, and speaking of Roberts' expensive rental house, I have a question regarding his paycheck. Do the budgets of AAA games like destiny or GTA V include the salaries of the developer's top management team? Are the salaries of the CEO's, CFO's etc. of Rockstar and Bungee included in the individual games they develop? I have a sneaking suspicion that because these companies work on multiple game projects at a time the top level management's salaries aren't accounted for in the budgets you see reported. If this is true, then Robert's nice salary is totally relevant, not as an embezzlement thing, but as additional overhead. So, the $85 million budget of Star Citizen would work out to a smaller actual development budget than a game' from an established studio with an $85 million development budget.

Last edited:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
As was said earlier, if all you want is to be a spaceship HUD and then a spreadsheet inside stations, by all means go play the myriad of other space sim games. This game got my backing because they are aiming to go above and beyond, and that's exactly what I have always wanted out of a space game, and we're finally getting it.

Certain people here are really only interested in trash-talking the game and diverting discussion from the actual game to non sense stuff. Other than being amusing their opinions are worth less than zero. Some others seem to be stuck in the mindset of thinking about games and game development from the old traditional big publisher method. Understand that it's not the same.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
As was said earlier, if all you want is to be a spaceship HUD and then a spreadsheet inside stations, by all means go play the myriad of other space sim games. This game got my backing because they are aiming to go above and beyond, and that's exactly what I have always wanted out of a space game, and we're finally getting it.

Certain people here are really only interested in trash-talking the game and diverting discussion from the actual game to non sense stuff. Other than being amusing their opinions are worth less than zero. Some others seem to be stuck in the mindset of thinking about games and game development from the old traditional big publisher method. Understand that it's not the same.

Yes, not the same and far less likely to succeed.

If they had left out multiplayer ships, ship interiors, individual thrusters, and ship boarding, they could have included the FPS social aspect in stations and on world. Focus on the space campaign mode (something lacking in modern space sims) and actually push out the space sim part. Then add on a FPS campaign mode in stations and on planets. This would lead to an awesome game that goes beyond any space sim before.

Instead, they added unnecessary features and aimed to do everything at once, and we're going to get something closer to a buggy derek smart game (or probably worse) than elite dangerous.

I was rooting and am still hopeful for this game, but this project has been showing obvious signs of failure for a while now. Unfortunately, there really isn't a modern wing commander or x-wing/tie fighter style space sim on the market. And, there probably won't be for a while. That makes me sad.

Last edited:

artemicion

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2004
TBH this whole saga is interesting to see how the relationship between devs and backers evolves with crowdfunded projects. Devs who thought that crowdfunding would be these awesome opportunity to detach themselves from the oppressive tether of corporate oversight from traditionally funded projects are quickly finding out that even Kickstarter backers have some teeth when it comes to influencing the progress of development.

Yeah, lots of projects suffer from delays, but there are *consequences* when you set a deadline and miss it. Turns out, you also suffer some consequences in the Kickstarter arena as well, and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Some updates via Reddit from one of the lead Devs (Tony Z. in this case): https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ig189/tony_z_in_the_house/

Tony Zurovec (Director of PU) was in chatroll earlier (and a lot of other devs too), here are some random answers he gave to questions we posted to him. Please note that most of these were with respect to the Social Module PTU which just launched:
What time is it for you?
2:18 AM here.....
When asked about ingame chat
Chat is currently totally global. Tomorrow's update will make it global per server instance. Chat channels will come in an update. They're already supported at the network service level, but the user interface doesn't yet expose them.
When asked about chatboxes ingame
I think you may as well allow it. It's a convenience, and if you don't, players will just use TeamSpeak or Skype or their cell phones to communicate in real-time anyways....
When asked about shared hangars
Going into friends hangars will arrive with what I'd call Social Module 2.0. That's the next major milestone, but I'll likely aim to slot a half-point upgrade before that once we've back in the main development stream. Ironically, most of the code to share a friend's hangar is already done. It's just in a different development stream.
Milestones
The fun really starts after the Social milestones.... I'll talk about those with the release text for the public launch of the Social Module. The Social milestones are more about laying groundwork and testing base functionality - network functionality and performance, in particular. Two months ago we couldn't put a dozen players into ArcCorp without cratering the frame rate. Now at 25 the bandwidth is irrelevant...and it will be getting much better over the next couple of months. This particular PTU version? It'll be outdated by tomorrow night.
When asked about ship optimization
The PU's efforts are currently focused on network optimizations for FPS players and characters. Ship optimizations will require a separate effort. It's likely we'll focus on that after getting the character stuff working really well.
Grabby Hands
you'll likely see a grabby hands update with the AI Module, or possibly the earlier Character Customization Module where you'll be able to change your clothing.
When asked about avatars:
Clothing customization will come first. Facial and body customization will come a bit later. The exact elements haven't yet been decided, but the basic thinking is that you'll be able to select your sex, possibly some level of height/weight, hair, skin tone, facial texture, possibly eyes and nose, likely distinguishing marks (like scars), and other such things.
When asked about facial customization on the Sims level
.Unknown at this point, honestly. My preference is to usually go with the base functionality first and then build upon it. So...I'd aim to get the basic facial customization stuff in as soon as possible and release it, and then just add the ability to customize additional stuff later....
Most looked-forward to module?
My favorite will be the AI Module.
When asked about delivery dates/scope:
I'm predominantly focused on what we can realistically deliver over the next twelve months. It's a rolling window, so in six months I'll be worried about what we can deliver 18 months from now.
PU Alpha is too vague. It means different things to different people. The schedule is broken down into PU milestones, each of which focuses on different parts of the basic foundation that's needed for the ultimate game. I'll touch on that a bit with the release text for the Social Module release to the general community. The problem with "PU Alpha" is...can you shop? How are the prices and availability determined? What will the TDD pay for your commodities? Can you mine? What other types of missions are available? Is there AI? To what level exactly - walking around shops? Available for hire? Piloting ships in capacities other than combat pilots? Etc. etc.. It's impossible to try and describe an alpha in a couple of sentences without everyone having a different idea of what's going to be delivered. I'm going to try and add some more specificity to the near-term goals with the text for the Social Module release to the general public.
I don't know what this means, sorry. Question was about players in the bar
No hitching? Yes, tons of work done on NPC blending and interpolation with the new network optimizations to achieve that.
When asked about player limits/networking:
The networking could easily handle 50 players at the moment. It's the graphics performance that's the limiting factor. That graphics performance will take a substantial leap forward as soon as we're back in the "GameDev" stream. It's a long story, but basically Star Citizen split the code base into streams for Star Marine, and we had to do the Social Module in 1.2.0 - which doesn't have access to the latest graphics stuff - because that's where GIM was, and we had to do GIM in 1.2.0 with Star Marine because it needed a more robust matchmaker. That said...obviously we've got loads of low-res LODs to help cope, and the zone system will cull characters very efficiently.
When asked about dev streams:
Merging 1.2.0 and GameDev is a huge priority. It's a long story, but basically the code base split when Star Marine was supposed to launch, and most of the main (not FPS specific) development occurs in the GameDev stream. We had to launch the Social Module from 1.2.0 - without the benefit of a lot of cool stuff in GameDev - because we needed GIM and the other updated networking tech, and that had specifically been done in 1.2.0 for the benefit of Star Marine. So...long story short...we'll take a quantum leap once we're back in GameDev.
Further Quotes
Casaba is still being modified, so we just closed it off rather than show something that wasn't quite ready. ArcCorp is actually getting a facelift as well. The store facades will look much better in the near future...the main building below Astro Armada will get a big bump in its visuals...and we'll go to lower-poly but parallax occlusion mapped objects to get better performance while maintaining high visual fidelity.
The area just past Dumper's Depot ends at a fence. You'll be able to go past that eventually. The area to the left of Casaba and heading away from the Skywalk ends at a fence. You'll be able to go past that as well.
Report all issues you find in the PTU. We'll fix as many as possible this week.
Terra Prime's main "city" takes place on external levels of a huge (probably 0.75 mile or so) skyscraper. Terra Prime is so large that we're focusing on some smaller cities first - the so-called First Five.
Other stuff
They are planning a rollout of a lot of features soon, with daily PTU updates, and at least two LARGE updates of the Social Module this year, with many more smaller ones in between.
The Current Arccorp space in the PTU is about a third of the final size of Arccorp. There are two fenced off areas that nobody can access yet (although by the time I post this I'm guessing someone will have figured out how to clip through).
The Size of Terra Prime will be THREE times the size of any other planetary landing zone. Initially 3 maps stitched together, eventually seamless without any loading.
Nyx should be in by October or so (No promises), and temporarily your elevator will have magic planet-hopping powers. Tardis!
Current plan is to roll out PTU invites for Social Module over this week, hopefully getting everybody in by Friday, but no promises.
First Five systems confirmed. PU Alpha mentioned by Tony Z, but he also noted that the definition of "PU Alpha" varies by individual. Stand by for clarification.
Expect a big Commlink post from Tony Z sometime soon going into expectations for the Social Module.
Bounty Hunting and Piracy commlink articles from Tony Z sometime in the future.
CIG requests that we do NOT share media/pictures/videos/streams of the PTU just yet.
Tony Z asks that we submit bug reports as much as possible. Current bugs found include a falling through the map bug near the M50 and clipping through some objects, as well as gamepads being able to go prone (it's supposed to be disabled).
Josh (Of commlink "Sweet!" fame) was the first Citizen on Arccorp, and possibly the first to submit a bug report (the M50 clipping bug). Congrats.
Tony Z mentions that they are definitely pushing for "more than 50" people in an instance. This was in reference to the Social Module. Not sure if applies to space instances.
Tony Z is expected to drop in chatroll throughout this week. Drop by and have good questions ready!

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Some updates via Reddit from one of the lead Devs (Tony Z. in this case):

Thanks for posting! But this is bullshit. I shouldn't be getting this information from an AT forum post or Reddit. It should all be officially posted on CIGs site. Go to the Comm links right now and there isn't a single thing indicating Social Module has started roll out or any info on it.

Backers shouldn't have to scour the internet to find relevant SC news....

Times like these make me wonder if CIG even gives a shit.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
There was a dev post on the forums that they were rolling out the new Social Mod this week and how the invite system was going to work.

But that level of detail from Tony is not in any of the Dev posts or Comm links. Which is why I added it here :) To be fair though, when chatroll was referenced that was the live chat on CiGs own forums, not some external site. Someone just posted it to Reddit.

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
its easier to "leak" info from an employee then to make a official statement. Official statements need to be backed up more. We will all know in the coming months whats going on with this thing. The die hard true believers will hang on for years though. I think he will end up with enough of them on "subscription" (lol) to have a skeleton crew working on this thing forever with very little progress and no fun.

Feb 4, 2009
Some updates via Reddit from one of the lead Devs (Tony Z. in this case): https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ig189/tony_z_in_the_house/

Tony Zurovec (Director of PU) was in chatroll earlier (and a lot of other devs too), here are some random answers he gave to questions we posted to him. Please note that most of these were with respect to the Social Module PTU which just launched:
What time is it for you?
2:18 AM here.....
When asked about ingame chat
Chat is currently totally global. Tomorrow's update will make it global per server instance. Chat channels will come in an update. They're already supported at the network service level, but the user interface doesn't yet expose them.
When asked about chatboxes ingame
I think you may as well allow it. It's a convenience, and if you don't, players will just use TeamSpeak or Skype or their cell phones to communicate in real-time anyways....
When asked about shared hangars
Going into friends hangars will arrive with what I'd call Social Module 2.0. That's the next major milestone, but I'll likely aim to slot a half-point upgrade before that once we've back in the main development stream. Ironically, most of the code to share a friend's hangar is already done. It's just in a different development stream.
Milestones
The fun really starts after the Social milestones.... I'll talk about those with the release text for the public launch of the Social Module. The Social milestones are more about laying groundwork and testing base functionality - network functionality and performance, in particular. Two months ago we couldn't put a dozen players into ArcCorp without cratering the frame rate. Now at 25 the bandwidth is irrelevant...and it will be getting much better over the next couple of months. This particular PTU version? It'll be outdated by tomorrow night.
When asked about ship optimization
The PU's efforts are currently focused on network optimizations for FPS players and characters. Ship optimizations will require a separate effort. It's likely we'll focus on that after getting the character stuff working really well.
Grabby Hands
you'll likely see a grabby hands update with the AI Module, or possibly the earlier Character Customization Module where you'll be able to change your clothing.
When asked about avatars:
Clothing customization will come first. Facial and body customization will come a bit later. The exact elements haven't yet been decided, but the basic thinking is that you'll be able to select your sex, possibly some level of height/weight, hair, skin tone, facial texture, possibly eyes and nose, likely distinguishing marks (like scars), and other such things.
When asked about facial customization on the Sims level
.Unknown at this point, honestly. My preference is to usually go with the base functionality first and then build upon it. So...I'd aim to get the basic facial customization stuff in as soon as possible and release it, and then just add the ability to customize additional stuff later....
Most looked-forward to module?
My favorite will be the AI Module.
When asked about delivery dates/scope:
I'm predominantly focused on what we can realistically deliver over the next twelve months. It's a rolling window, so in six months I'll be worried about what we can deliver 18 months from now.
PU Alpha is too vague. It means different things to different people. The schedule is broken down into PU milestones, each of which focuses on different parts of the basic foundation that's needed for the ultimate game. I'll touch on that a bit with the release text for the Social Module release to the general community. The problem with "PU Alpha" is...can you shop? How are the prices and availability determined? What will the TDD pay for your commodities? Can you mine? What other types of missions are available? Is there AI? To what level exactly - walking around shops? Available for hire? Piloting ships in capacities other than combat pilots? Etc. etc.. It's impossible to try and describe an alpha in a couple of sentences without everyone having a different idea of what's going to be delivered. I'm going to try and add some more specificity to the near-term goals with the text for the Social Module release to the general public.
I don't know what this means, sorry. Question was about players in the bar
No hitching? Yes, tons of work done on NPC blending and interpolation with the new network optimizations to achieve that.
When asked about player limits/networking:
The networking could easily handle 50 players at the moment. It's the graphics performance that's the limiting factor. That graphics performance will take a substantial leap forward as soon as we're back in the "GameDev" stream. It's a long story, but basically Star Citizen split the code base into streams for Star Marine, and we had to do the Social Module in 1.2.0 - which doesn't have access to the latest graphics stuff - because that's where GIM was, and we had to do GIM in 1.2.0 with Star Marine because it needed a more robust matchmaker. That said...obviously we've got loads of low-res LODs to help cope, and the zone system will cull characters very efficiently.
When asked about dev streams:
Merging 1.2.0 and GameDev is a huge priority. It's a long story, but basically the code base split when Star Marine was supposed to launch, and most of the main (not FPS specific) development occurs in the GameDev stream. We had to launch the Social Module from 1.2.0 - without the benefit of a lot of cool stuff in GameDev - because we needed GIM and the other updated networking tech, and that had specifically been done in 1.2.0 for the benefit of Star Marine. So...long story short...we'll take a quantum leap once we're back in GameDev.
Further Quotes
Casaba is still being modified, so we just closed it off rather than show something that wasn't quite ready. ArcCorp is actually getting a facelift as well. The store facades will look much better in the near future...the main building below Astro Armada will get a big bump in its visuals...and we'll go to lower-poly but parallax occlusion mapped objects to get better performance while maintaining high visual fidelity.
The area just past Dumper's Depot ends at a fence. You'll be able to go past that eventually. The area to the left of Casaba and heading away from the Skywalk ends at a fence. You'll be able to go past that as well.
Report all issues you find in the PTU. We'll fix as many as possible this week.
Terra Prime's main "city" takes place on external levels of a huge (probably 0.75 mile or so) skyscraper. Terra Prime is so large that we're focusing on some smaller cities first - the so-called First Five.
Other stuff
They are planning a rollout of a lot of features soon, with daily PTU updates, and at least two LARGE updates of the Social Module this year, with many more smaller ones in between.
The Current Arccorp space in the PTU is about a third of the final size of Arccorp. There are two fenced off areas that nobody can access yet (although by the time I post this I'm guessing someone will have figured out how to clip through).
The Size of Terra Prime will be THREE times the size of any other planetary landing zone. Initially 3 maps stitched together, eventually seamless without any loading.
Nyx should be in by October or so (No promises), and temporarily your elevator will have magic planet-hopping powers. Tardis!
Current plan is to roll out PTU invites for Social Module over this week, hopefully getting everybody in by Friday, but no promises.
First Five systems confirmed. PU Alpha mentioned by Tony Z, but he also noted that the definition of "PU Alpha" varies by individual. Stand by for clarification.
Expect a big Commlink post from Tony Z sometime soon going into expectations for the Social Module.
Bounty Hunting and Piracy commlink articles from Tony Z sometime in the future.
CIG requests that we do NOT share media/pictures/videos/streams of the PTU just yet.
Tony Z asks that we submit bug reports as much as possible. Current bugs found include a falling through the map bug near the M50 and clipping through some objects, as well as gamepads being able to go prone (it's supposed to be disabled).
Josh (Of commlink "Sweet!" fame) was the first Citizen on Arccorp, and possibly the first to submit a bug report (the M50 clipping bug). Congrats.
Tony Z mentions that they are definitely pushing for "more than 50" people in an instance. This was in reference to the Social Module. Not sure if applies to space instances.
Tony Z is expected to drop in chatroll throughout this week. Drop by and have good questions ready!

This is a big wall of text and I am far too lazy to read it can someone give me the cliff notes version?

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
its easier to "leak" info from an employee then to make a official statement. Official statements need to be backed up more. We will all know in the coming months whats going on with this thing. The die hard true believers will hang on for years though. I think he will end up with enough of them on "subscription" (lol) to have a skeleton crew working on this thing forever with very little progress and no fun.

So what exactly is the point of your constant negativity in this thread? I'm curious.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
Thanks for posting! But this is bullshit. I shouldn't be getting this information from an AT forum post or Reddit. It should all be officially posted on CIGs site. Go to the Comm links right now and there isn't a single thing indicating Social Module has started roll out or any info on it.

Backers shouldn't have to scour the internet to find relevant SC news....

Times like these make me wonder if CIG even gives a shit.

This was taken from the official web chat on the RSI site early this morning. A Redditor reposted some of the questions and answers. If someone hadn't reposted it we might not even know about. Info leaking out like this has been happening since they added a chat room. Devs/other employees pop on there all the time and usually reply to questions asked.

Almost all the info I get comes from Reddit now. If you want to stay up to date you should start there, the commlinks section is usually the last place to check if you want new info. I agree thats not how it should work but its how its working atm.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
This is a big wall of text and I am far too lazy to read it can someone give me the cliff notes version?

Social module to PTU this week.
Hoping to have two major updates to SM before the end of the year.
Current ArcCorp map about 1/3 final size. Nyxx map will be added to SM later this year.
Hangar sharing will come in SM 1.5-2.0
This version of the social module is not on the main code branch("GameDev") but contains code(network?) needed for the FPS release.
Main branch was forked for FPS but should be merging back in the next few months.
Once its merged updates will come much more rapidly.
Tony Z will be answer questions in chat throughout the week, hop in and ask away.

May have missed a few things but thats the gist of it.

Last edited:

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I'm curious, have there been recent similar information releases for the squadron 42 campaign mode? All this information on social just seems weird and distracting.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think the overly detailed ship models, FPS and boarding gameplay is going to really screw this game up. So, instead of just making ships with rendered 3d models, specific hit boxes, and flight characteristics, the game engine has to also deal with the interior of all large ships, as well as all of the different thrusters, oh and don't forget the detailed ship damage to specific systems thing. All of this using an FPS engine.

I think this is why there have been, and will continue to be tons of delays. Even without the interiors of of the ships, basing movement of each ship on the individual thrusters/engines is going to be a crushing resource hog. Then add the fact that the ships aren't models with hit boxes, but the engine has to keep track, and maybe render, the interiors. Yeah, this thing is going to make Arkham Knight look like a Valve Developed game in terms of reliability.

This level of detail simply can't be shoehorned into an off the shelf FPS engine. It would have been a stretch to just use the Cryengine for large battles between 3d models with hitboxes and ok damage detection. They should have stuck with that for space battles, and then added docking/landing transitions that allowed the players to get out and walk in separate environments.

This game is going to be an absolute debacle. The smartest thing anyone who's put money into this game can do is to sell their account NOW, while they still can.

It's sad, because I really wanted this game to be awesome.

6 months ago, this argument might have still had substance. The problem is that there are live working demo's that have show the technology working. Go watch the demo done at one of the conventions 2-3 weeks ago. While there were still some bugs (i.e. the first play through the mission objectives were not met because the second team came in and caused more damage preventing the other team from finishing the objective (and they had not finished the objective failed code branch yet), the second playthrough/attempt showed everything working. From teaming up in a hanger, boarding multiple ships, multiple people boarding a larger ship, people walking around the larger ship while it was moving, people leaving the larger ship into Zero-G, people entering/exiting one ship to another ship (and back), people fighting other ships/people from ships, people fighting ships from space, people fighting people in space, people fighting people on other ships in Zero-G, transitioning a ship from zero-g to having gravity, etc., etc., etc.

Basically all the complaints you are stating about the technology not being able to do it, they did and showed it live. Oh, yeah, it also showed off part of the mission system as well (like I said, the mission system still has some work, as they do not have a working failure mode code branch, but that isn't something that will take a lot of work since we saw the rest of the framework already working).

Last edited:

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
6 months ago, this argument might have still had substance. The problem is that there are live working demo's that have show the technology working. Go watch the demo done at one of the conventions 2-3 weeks ago. While there were still some bugs (i.e. the first play through the mission objectives were not met because the second team came in and caused more damage preventing the other team from finishing the objective (and they had not finished the objective failed code branch yet), the second playthrough/attempt showed everything working. From teaming up in a hanger, boarding multiple ships, multiple people boarding a larger ship, people walking around the larger ship while it was moving, people leaving the larger ship into Zero-G, people entering/exiting one ship to another ship (and back), people fighting other ships/people from ships, people fighting ships from space, people fighting people in space, people fighting people on other ships in Zero-G, transitioning a ship from zero-g to having gravity, etc., etc., etc.

Basically all the complaints you are stating about the technology not being able to do it, they did and showed it live. Oh, yeah, it also showed off part of the mission system as well (like I said, the mission system still has some work, as they do not have a working failure mode code branch, but that isn't something that will take a lot of work since we saw the rest of the framework already working).

Yeah, I saw a demo with 2 ships fighting. None of what I mentioned would really be a problem with 2 ships. The problem is scale. Have you seen anything with 10-20 ships? My fear is that either the engine won't handle it, or it will be unplayable on all but the best systems.

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Lack of instant gratification is my guess. Which begs the question, if that's your play then why do you even look at crowdfunded projects in the first place?

I hate instant gratification. And I have funded a few games via crowd source. What this game has become is so far away from wanting instant gratification.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm curious, have there been recent similar information releases for the squadron 42 campaign mode? All this information on social just seems weird and distracting.

They said it a while ago that they wanted to limit information from Squadron 42 so that it would be more of a surprise as to what happens, how it branches, etc. I mean saying "We created a new mission branch by shooting the third astroid from the right when you spawn in mission 2c which triggers a chain reaction that generates an unstable wormhole creating moving to missing 3e"... it just wouldn't be fun to play the game the first time to figure out all those things.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
So what exactly is the point of your irrational exuberance in this thread? I'm curious.

So no point then, just more retarded trolling that you already got mod smacked for. Gotcha. Simple question I asked, but not surprised you can't answer it.

Also, please post a single shred of "exuberance" I've posted in this thread. Just one. That, or stfu already.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Unfortunately, there really isn't a modern wing commander or x-wing/tie fighter style space sim on the market. And, there probably won't be for a while. That makes me sad.

Same here. I do not play on line games, but wish all the SC crowd the best and hope the game works out for you all.

The Wife

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
They said it a while ago that they wanted to limit information from Squadron 42 so that it would be more of a surprise as to what happens, how it branches, etc. I mean saying "We created a new mission branch by shooting the third astroid from the right when you spawn in mission 2c which triggers a chain reaction that generates an unstable wormhole creating moving to missing 3e"... it just wouldn't be fun to play the game the first time to figure out all those things.

Or, there are serious problems with it...

Why not create a Squadron 42 demo that shows off a short cutscene and maybe a flight tutorial. That wouldn't really spoil anything and it would quiet a lot of critics. Squadron 42 is really what got people in the first place, as there hasn't been a campaign space sim released in a very long time.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Yeah, I saw a demo with 2 ships fighting. None of what I mentioned would really be a problem with 2 ships. The problem is scale. Have you seen anything with 10-20 ships? My fear is that either the engine won't handle it, or it will be unplayable on all but the best systems.

The Gamescon demo did not have 2 ships fighting. It had five ships fighting. A Gladius, Hornet, and Cutlass discover a Retaliator, take over Retaliator and are attacked by a Constellation.

If you're not watching that, you're not seeing the latest.