Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 110 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
That's really the fault of the community though, not CIG. At every single turn they've said it's not going to be a big deal. They've even started to make jokes about it. I think the latest communication with the Glaive(?) sale went something like:

"because we are introducing a new ship we are going to go ahead and attach LTI with it. Which is again of minimal value, and this is again where you the community ignore us."

Or something like that.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
That's really the fault of the community though, not CIG. At every single turn they've said it's not going to be a big deal. They've even started to make jokes about it. I think the latest communication with the Glaive(?) sale went something like:

"because we are introducing a new ship we are going to go ahead and attach LTI with it. Which is again of minimal value, and this is again where you the community ignore us."

Or something like that.

I don't know. I think CIG has some responsibility for communication here. They've told us nothing definitively. It's all be in vague terms (LTI will be nothing more than a minor convenience, it really isn't a big deal, etc.).

That's too vague for a community obsessed with details!

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
I don't know. I think CIG has some responsibility for communication here. They've told us nothing definitively. It's all be in vague terms (LTI will be nothing more than a minor convenience, it really isn't a big deal, etc.).

That's too vague for a community obsessed with details!
The problem is that the community is asking for costs when they're still in the very early stages of modeling the economy. Any answer they give now will almost certainly change in the future. It's unrealistic to expect an answer with firm numbers at this point and I'm glad CIG isn't providing them yet.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Agreed, would make no sense trying to quantify it with an in game currency that is not only not even in the initial stages of balancing costs, but also where we haven't established earning power.

Feb 4, 2009
They could put some kind of play time estimate like it would take an average trader or miner or whatever 2 hours of game time to earn 7 days of insurance. Just be clear its an average.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I think they did.. Didn't they say something like the return on a single mission would be enough to pay for 1 month's insurance?

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Well I went and done the one thing I said I would never do....bought myself a new ship. She sure does look pretty and handles so much smoother than the little Aurora.

xovNgCY.png

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
The 300 series are definitely pretty. And as first wave ships are slatted for a re-work so probably only going to get even better.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Yeah my 315p is one of only two ships I have still hung on to (the other being the super hornet). I like Origin's style.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
The 300 series are definitely pretty. And as first wave ships are slatted for a re-work so probably only going to get even better.

Yeah, they have noted several times it's going to be reworked at some point (not a primary objective).

I'm interested to see what they come up with. A small underside exterior cargo point would be nice, just to get it up there closer to the Aurora's capacity. It's nice to have a starter ship outfitted for exploring (jump drive / scanner / tractor beam). I just don't know where I'm going to put anything I pick up with that tractor beam unless it's very, very small. ;)

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Anyone else having issues getting the game to download? I uninstalled the launcher and deleted the CIG folder, then I redownloaded the launcher install from RSI. Now, it downloads around 200MB at a time, but only if I repeatedly hammer the "verify" option. Even then, the game never loads.

I remember the download was around 25GB, so what gives?

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Havn't played since they released the upgraded installer that required the uninstall/re-download (was planning on doing that this weekend).

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I shut down Kaspersky and it finally started downloading the entire game. Kaspersky does not like the launcher, though it wasn't giving me any indications. Must be a cross compatibility issue.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I just bought me a Mustang Omega off ebay... I can't wait to try it out. I love the red and black design.

EDIT: This ship is quick but hard to control at top speed with just mouse and keyboard compared to the Hornet (I did just order a cheap Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X that will hopefully be a better control solution). It also can't withstand much damage at all before exploding. Not surprising since it's a racing ship primarily, but I think I took only a few direct hits in Vanduul Swarm before it gave up the ghost. That was with the default weapons/shield loadout, though, and once I get the hang of the speed, simply evading enemies might make it an effective support fighter in a pinch. But I may end up doing an Omega to Gamma swap later on if I don't do a lot of racing.

15mdy84.jpg

I need to upgrade my graphics card :(. I think my CPU is okay (FX-8350) but the R9 270 has me dropping to less than 20 FPS in my hangar in places and quite often in combat. That's on low at under 1080p.

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
call me old fashioned but if the game ever comes out I will spend my time earning the ships in game, playing the game.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
just had to re-install the installer

it still doesn't get along with steam.

What issues are you having? I haven't noticed any problems there.

call me old fashioned but if the game ever comes out I will spend my time earning the ships in game, playing the game.

There are much larger fish in the sea, so to speak. My Connie Aquila will be for exploring when I first get into the game and for light cargo runs ultimately. My Retaliator will be for light cargo runs with the right modules and for combat style missions. My Mustang Gamma is for races and fighter flying if I feel like it. I'll be working for the Carrack to replace the Connie in exploration duties and probably another similarly sized ship for whatever other purposes I feel. These are just good starter ships to roll into it with for the various roles I'm interested in.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001

call me new fashioned, but I don't mind spending some money (derived from time spent grinding in real life, aka "working") to save myself from some in-game grinding. Plus, I just like having the ships in the hangar even this early. I don't plan on buying any more ships with real money, though. I'll probably just buy the ships with in-game currency from now on. I do want a cargo ship at some point, but otherwise I'm happy with the fighter and racing ships I have now.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Yeah, I think I'm done with spending real money on ships, too. I couldn't pass up the Retaliator with LTI. I don't want to buy the Carrack now that I think about it. I want to enjoy it after earning it and appreciate the upgrade over the Connie Aquila.

I've spent $450 on the game, so I feel I've done my part to bring this awesome project to fruition. C'mon, CR. Don't make me a fool.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
call me new fashioned, but I don't mind spending some money (derived from time spent grinding in real life, aka "working") to save myself from some in-game grinding. Plus, I just like having the ships in the hangar even this early. I don't plan on buying any more ships with real money, though. I'll probably just buy the ships with in-game currency from now on. I do want a cargo ship at some point, but otherwise I'm happy with the fighter and racing ships I have now.

I hope they decide to make a game that doesnt have useless grind. Taking mission contracts and doing some trading in game is the game I would think and I want to bootstrap. Plus I will goon swarm all of you and your rich ships in simple vessels and pew pew you.

Last edited: