Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 232 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Short and sweet 2.5 feature list from Leverett

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4th2e4/official_25_feature_list/

mshd9ftkw1ax.png

I absolutely can't wait for Grim Hex. It's beautiful and having this as a new landing zone deep in the Yela belt will be stunning. IIRC, we can FPS there too like Kareah. It'll be like Kareah with shops.
I was expecting Dragonfly to be at least hangar ready in 2.5.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Well, nevermind then. Good day all.

about 1 year really. Frankfurt didn't open up until July 2015. That's the studio who's tasked with SQ42. Everything prior was just back end engine rewrites for 64bit while they waited for the studios to get up and running.

the massive influx of cash has really turned out to be a kind of 'stick in the wheel' because having so much cash sent them down an unpaved road.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
TechBoyJK and Jst0rm

Stop this now. I am getting tired of reading the reported posts and this argument between you two.

Both of you need to stay out of the thread.

esquared
Anandt5ech Forum Director

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
TechBoyJK and Jst0rm

Stop this now. I am getting tired of reading the reported posts and this argument between you two.

Both of you need to stay out of the thread.

esquared
Anandt5ech Forum Director

He can leave, but if you want me out of this thread, I'm going to cancel my account and go elsewhere. I'm all about discussing SC, and I've done nothing but try and keep JStorm at bay because he's been allowed to constantly thread crap.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Yea, sorry guys, but if this forum wants to allow users like Jstorm to crap all over this thread, and then the mods pm me about it, I'm just going to visit other sites. It was fun.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
@TBJK, while I sympathize with your view you should've just done this a long time ago. just not worth it.

Unread Today, 11:52 AM
Remove user from ignore listJSt0rm
This message is hidden because JSt0rm is on your ignore list.
View PostUnread Today, 11:54 AM
Remove user from ignore listJSt0rm
This message is hidden because JSt0rm is on your ignore list.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I just want to say. Please let tech boy post here. It means a lot to him and it's not fair that he wouldn't be able to post because of our tif. I will start a separate thread to discuss the other aspects of this project. Thank you.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
It does seem like we need 2 threads for SC:

- one for enthusiasts who like the game even in pre-alpha, and for people interested in trying it ("SC fans news and updates"?)

- one for those who want to discuss the business, funding, ethics, staff gossip drama side of it and/or post warnings to stay away from it. ("SC is doomed! Doomed I tells ya!"?)

Feb 4, 2009
I just want to say. Please let tech boy post here. It means a lot to him and it's not fair that he wouldn't be able to post because of our tif. I will start a separate thread to discuss the other aspects of this project. Thank you.

You're a pain in the ass but still a good man J.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015

Respect.

0100995.jpg

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007

Pandasaurus

Aug 19, 2012
Well, I got into the Free Fly this week. I was incredibly disappointed.

Largely because even with everything on the lowest settings, it was a slideshow. I need to finish my new computer. :(

Feb 4, 2009

Largely because even with everything on the lowest settings, it was a slideshow. I need to finish my new computer. :(

Same here my Q9650 isn't really up to task to run it. I can walk around the port and fly but flying in combat is not realistic.

If you're interested join the AT Org, you can belong to multiple orgs, our current ship roster is pretty good and all AT members are welcome

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/OLDSBAMENT

If you decide to join please post your Star Citizen name in this thread so we know who you are.
Edit: I almost forgot, we'll accept any AT member regardless of pledged ship.

Last edited:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005

Well also understand that it's not just you. The game's netcode is very strained. Even the highest systems are getting FPS caps due to the server load.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Latest AtV, with tour of Frankfurt office, more looks at Grim Hex and its hangars, a glimpse of a new explosion animation technique, a new gun, a cargo vehicle, and other various bits of info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3rPBbVBrcI

Gif of explosion - https://i.imgur.com/QNFMrDy.gifv

0zEc6Tj.png

ColossalEquatorialIberianmole-size_restricted.gif

MetallicSelfishFrillneckedlizard-size_restricted.gif

In the video, during a look at Grim Hex, you can see the race track in the background

MhhMTlo.png

New Gun and its dynamic wear/dirt model

FatalOpulentDuck-size_restricted.gif

IllustriousInconsequentialFiddlercrab-size_restricted.gif

Hangars on the back of Grim Hex.

euzzn26a7nax.png

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i had to double take on that gun, for a sec i thought it said BOEING... lol...

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
The weapons detail is just sick.

Also, I'm not a pirate, but GrimHex looks amazing - and HUGE. They have some top-level modelers / materials / texture artists at CIG for sure. I'm pretty curious about the race track - I'm sure it's probably not fleshed out, but a course built in the actual PU sounds very interesting.

I wonder what size those biggest mass drivers are? S5 or 6 maybe?

And also - thank God they're finally speeding up those animations. ;)

Last edited:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
The weapons detail is just sick.

Also, I'm not a pirate, but GrimHex looks amazing - and HUGE. They have some top-level modelers / materials / texture artists at CIG for sure. I'm pretty curious about the race track - I'm sure it's probably not fleshed out, but a course built in the actual PU sounds very interesting.

I wonder what size those biggest mass drivers are? S5 or 6 maybe?

And also - thank God they're finally speeding up those animations. ;)

I believe the guy showing us that clip said they were size 1 to 6. So I'm guessing those are sixes.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Per German PC Gamer issue, CIG is saying Star Marine is coming with 2.6. This likely means new netcode as well, as the netcode was part of the reason for delaying Star Marine.

As expected, it'll be a module just as Arena Commander.

x8zvJJS.jpg

per reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4u86s5/german_pcgames_magazine_star_marine_in_26/

---According to the German gaming magazine PCGames that just launched an title story about star citizen, including interviews with Chris Roberts and Brian Chambers, star marine is targeted for 2.6!

When asked for the next steps, Roberts himself gave it away that, at least as it seems right now, the dedicated shooter module with all the goodies that we currently miss in the universe fps, is planned to be integrated in 2.6.

Per Reddit - Info Summary
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4u91db/comprehensive_summary_of_the_info_from_the/

2.6 will launch Star Marine as separate module just like Arena Commander, this was also played by staff of PC Games and they are saying it's much more polished on the FPS side and feels a lot better than current rudimentary FPS in the PTU. - Interesting side-note: they talked about map->s.

2.7 will bring procedural planets and you will be able to travel the whole stanton system and all planets and moons can be directly approached down to the surface. Edit:

They say the new lighting system as part of the procedural planets build looks much more natural.

They say that approaching the planet looks and technically feels better than with Elite Dangerous.

You can land anywhere manually, automatic landing gets you to fixed positions i.e. landing zones.

Microtech and Hurston come in follow-up patches after 2.7

They aim to have Stanton fully playable i.e. with all stations and landing zones (according to CR about 40 locations) by end of 2016

There will be more jobs and missions as well.

Trading will be in by then

Chris describing that missions accepted up in space stations could lead you eventually down to planet surfaces, not clear if this is going to be in with 2.7 but seemingly something SQ42 will benefit from.

Planets and moons are revolving around suns, with naturally simulated day and night cycles. When flying over the ocean they were noticing that the horizon had a correctly simulated curve.

Trees and Animals seemingly are planned (edit: doesn't seem to be in with 2.7, sorry) - they have them seemingly setup in pre-made templates they call eco-systems - these can be brushed over the planet surface, some magic blends the transitions to make it look naturally and consistent.

Planetary surface and topograhy details are controlled by a dynamical LOD system.

Some pop-up was visible during the planetary approach but they described it as impressive regardless.

They were also impressed with the cloud system, which wasn't just a simple texture layer but seemingly is described what I assume would be volumetric, i.e. they have deepth and height and impact visibility, leading to mountain crests piercing through clouds and valleys being covered.

They are writing that there isn't any artificially restricted view range, visibility is rather a result from the volumetric calculation of the athmosphere.

Parallax-Occlusion maps with dynamic tessellation is used for the surface details.

GTX 980 was used with 100 fps on the planetary surface, so performance seems to be pretty good already, sorry, that was just editor performance - in-game performance was 45fps :)

Some stuff about the subsumption-AI saying NPCs might have hobbies and a virtual mind, allowing them to remember the player or be influenced in his opinions by the player. To avoid performance issues, they seemingly control the update cycles for NPC AI based on player proximitiy i.e. update cycles go to 1hz instead of 60hz if no one is around.

There was also a part about server architecture, how they intend to improve upon it in order to sustain more concurrent players in the same server zone. target is to reduce the numbers of instances.

They intend to mesh servers together in order to form a huge cluster, the necessary optimisations are already being coded into star citizen, accordingly they also should yield some marginal performance improvements on the client side.

Head bob will apparently also be customizable, think severe (realistic), semi realistc and non.

They also wrote that they were positively surprised that all employees at Foundry 42 Frankfurt, of which they had a chance to talk with, seemed to be truthfuly grateful to be able to work on the project due to the challenge it represents. They specifically point out, that the enthusiasm didn't feel faked. One of the journalists wrote in his opinion piece that the gamescon presentation is going to drop some jaws to the floor.

Last edited: