Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 171 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Pedals probably aren't going to happen unless I really fall in love with the game - I could rationalize dual stick or stick/throttle, but if kb/mouse is adequate I'll probably stick with that until I'm at least somewhat familiar with how things go. I spend so little time gaming these days, the game might be completed when I finally have time to devote to it. :p

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
In case y'all missed it (I think it was in his Letter from the Chairman or a 10FTC episode), releases going forward will be calendar driven, not milestone driven.

As I understand it, we'll get a PTU release prior to month end. Anything they think is ready, they'll include. Then after PTU testing, they'll fix or remove things and the live client will be released at the end of the month.

Then they start the cycle all over.

I really like this! No more wonder about when 2.x is going to drop. Every month will be something new and exciting to experience.

2016 should be exciting. Bring on persistence, shopping, and subsumption!

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Pedals probably aren't going to happen unless I really fall in love with the game - I could rationalize dual stick or stick/throttle, but if kb/mouse is adequate I'll probably stick with that until I'm at least somewhat familiar with how things go. I spend so little time gaming these days, the game might be completed when I finally have time to devote to it. :p

Sounds like a solid plan. No need to spend a bunch on peripherals until you figure out if you actually like the game or not. ;)

You can always buy a cheap T16000M too if you want to try out the stick experience without investing much. It doesn't look like much, but it's accurate, and you can move it over to strafe duty if you decide to buy a high-end primary stick.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
In case y'all missed it (I think it was in his Letter from the Chairman or a 10FTC episode), releases going forward will be calendar driven, not milestone driven.

As I understand it, we'll get a PTU release prior to month end. Anything they think is ready, they'll include. Then after PTU testing, they'll fix or remove things and the live client will be released at the end of the month.

Then they start the cycle all over.

I like this approach too. It makes waiting for a full release a lot easier when you can actually jump in and have some fun. I'm excited about seamless planet-side landing zones. From the Pupil to Planet video, it looks like they're really close to providing that.

I'm also looking forward to the introduction of functioning NPCs (subsumption) to breathe some life into those areas, and hopefully some expansion on the exploration mechanics!

Last edited:

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Sounds like a solid plan. No need to spend a bunch on peripherals until you figure out if you actually like the game or not. ;)

You can always buy a cheap T16000M too if you want to try out the stick experience without investing much. It doesn't look like much, but it's accurate, and you can move it over to strafe duty if you decide to buy a high-end primary stick.

It's supposed to be a very precise stick (it's the one I have been looking at for a while now)..I have a buddy who coaches a high school robotics team and that's what they're using for robot control. I want to play the original XWing/TIE Fighter games again since they've been released on GOG, so buying a stick is just a matter of time anyway. It has been $20 and $25 at Microcenter in the last year or two, so I have a hard time spending $45 now. :p

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
xmas was rough. I'll be subbing to a $45 package Jan 1. It's about time I mess with this.

Not sure where you're located but note that Euro prices are supposed to be increased on Jan 1. That's why CIG are having their current sale.....to give the European backers one last chance before prices go up. Not sure if US$ prices will follow but it wouldn't surprise me.....

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Long time no see! Now that the holidays are over (and the holiday sale), time to get back on this!

Quote your name from this list and add or delete what has changed so that it shows your full fleet and I'll update. I already updated my portion.

Sabrewings:
Constellation Aquila
Constellation Taurus
Constellation Phoenix
Retaliator
Avenger
Sabre
Mustang Beta
Aurora MR
300i
Reliant
P-72

Stringjam:
Constellation Aquila
315p
350R
M50
Gladius
Sabre
Hornet Ghost
Merlin x2
Greycat
Avenger
Freelancer DUR

Worthington:
Super Hornet
Vanguard
Sabre
Cutlass Blue
Phoenix
890 Jump
Herald
Aurora

nsafreak:
Hornet Ghost
Cutlass Red
P52 Merlin

SLU Aequitas:
Super Hornet
Sabre

Red Storm:
Super Hornet
315p

SunnyD:
Aurora LX

rivethead:
Aurora MR
Avenger Titan

vshah:
Super Hornet
Sabre
Hull Ax2 (for the moment)

Fanatical Meat:
Cutlass Black
Freelancer

mnewsham
Constellation Taurus

Bubbleawesome
Aurora LN

jlee
Aurora LN

kn51
Aurora MR
P-72
Herald
Reliant

GoodRevrnd
Super Hornet

Last edited:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Please replace my Aurora LN with an Aurora MR. And add an Avenger Titan (although this will become a Reliant when flyable).

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
tag: wide9

Aurora MR
P-72
Herald
Reliant mini hauler (sounds like something I'd rent from U-Haul)

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Done.

And nice choice. I've become quite the Constellation whore myself.

Can we hang out in your hot tub with the Phoenix?

Good balance of ships...

Damn near everything is there besides a Crucible and a Hull-*.

And that excludes the big ones.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Updates made, and carried forward:

Sabrewings:
Constellation Aquila
Constellation Taurus
Constellation Phoenix
Retaliator
Avenger
Sabre
Mustang Beta
Aurora MR
300i
Reliant
P-72

Stringjam:
Constellation Aquila
315p
350R
M50
Gladius
Sabre
Hornet Ghost
Merlin x2
Greycat
Avenger
Freelancer DUR

Worthington:
Super Hornet
Vanguard
Sabre
Cutlass Blue
Constellation Phoenix
890 Jump
Herald
Aurora
Redeemer
Caterpillar

nsafreak:
Hornet Ghost
Cutlass Red
P52 Merlin

SLU Aequitas:
Super Hornet
Sabre

Red Storm:
Super Hornet
315p

SunnyD:
Aurora LX

rivethead:
Aurora MR
Avenger Titan

vshah:
Super Hornet
Sabre

Fanatical Meat:
Cutlass Black
Freelancer

mnewsham
Constellation Taurus

Bubbleawesome
Aurora LN

jlee
Aurora LN

kn51
Aurora MR
P-72
Herald
Reliant

GoodRevrnd
Super Hornet

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Can we hang out in your hot tub with the Phoenix?

Good balance of ships...

Damn near everything is there besides a Crucible and a Hull-*.

And that excludes the big ones.

Worthington and I can host Org parties, but I think the Jump would be the ultimate party boat. :cool:

As far as my collection, it reflects my interests. I love the Connies and the rest of the ships I own are interesting in one way or another. I'll try my hand at mining and repair in universe, but I couldn't bring myself to spend on them now.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Sabre - my edited list:

Carrack
Constellation Aquila
Redeemer
Vanguard Warden (Harbinger BUK)
Freelancer DUR
315p
350R
M50
Gladius
Sabre
Avenger Stalker
Hornet Ghost
Merlin
Archimedes

You've got quite the Connie fleet going on there Sabre! I've flown the Andromeda quite a bit in 2.0 and I'm impressed - can't wait for the Aquila redo. I just hope they don't nerf the thrusters on it because at this point it flies and handles very well.

Last edited:

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Worthington and I can host Org parties, but I think the Jump would be the ultimate party boat. :cool:

As far as my collection, it reflects my interests. I love the Connies and the rest of the ships I own are interesting in one way or another. I'll try my hand at mining and repair in universe, but I couldn't bring myself to spend on them now.

Sorry, meant that comment to be org-wide not directed towards you on your collection of ships.

I should have picked up a BMM to lend out.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Sabre - my edited list:

Editted and carried forward.

You've got quite the Connie fleet going on there Sabre! I've flown the Andromeda quite a bit in 2.0 and I'm impressed - can't wait for the Aquila redo. I just hope they don't nerf the thrusters on it because at this point it flies and handles very well.

Yeah, I went a bit overboard. I picked up the Taurus almost a month ago because I loved the idea of it being a fairly quick hauler with a punch for somewhat hostile cargo missions. The extra cargo compartment up front can be swapped out for a turret again, so it's got the power of an Andromeda with a higher cargo capacity and no parasite fighter to get left behind. Price isn't bad either.

The Phoenix happened on a whim. The wife got me a $200 gift card for SC for Christmas and said I could double it during the holiday sale. The Phoenix was on sale again with 3 year insurance but still in limited hulls so I jumped on it.

I also grabbed a Redeemer->BMM CCU for later if the Connie Phoenix doesn't work out when it's refreshed. Such a limited hull though that I'd be tempted to keep it and sell it in the PU if I wasn't happy with it. VIP jobs could be very lucrative though...

I thought about throwing in an Andromeda, but I really couldn't bring myself to. It's just the base model and lacks anything unique to it. I have been enjoying it in Crusader. I heard it's bugged in the 2.1 PTU with a 155m/s max speed which is awful. Connies were billed as being able to keep up with most fighters, so I feel like the single seat crowd is crying to hard for nerfs.

Sabrewings:
Constellation Aquila
Constellation Taurus
Constellation Phoenix
Retaliator
Avenger
Sabre
Mustang Beta
Aurora MR
300i
Reliant
P-72

Stringjam:
Carrack
Constellation Aquila
Redeemer
Vanguard Warden (Harbinger BUK)
Freelancer DUR
315p
350R
M50
Gladius
Sabre
Avenger Stalker
Hornet Ghost
P-52
P-72

Worthington:
Super Hornet
Vanguard
Sabre
Cutlass Blue
Constellation Phoenix
890 Jump
Herald
Aurora
Redeemer
Caterpillar

nsafreak:
Hornet Ghost
Cutlass Red
P52 Merlin

SLU Aequitas:
Super Hornet
Sabre

Red Storm:
Super Hornet
315p

SunnyD:
Aurora LX

rivethead:
Aurora MR
Avenger Titan

vshah:
Super Hornet
Sabre

Fanatical Meat:
Cutlass Black
Freelancer

mnewsham
Constellation Taurus

Bubbleawesome
Aurora LN

jlee
Aurora LN

kn51
Aurora MR
P-72
Herald
Reliant

GoodRevrnd
Super Hornet

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I gave away most of my ships now, my nephews have a couple of ships each and got a couple of friends some "upgraded" ships to go with their Auroras.

Current "Fleet" for DeathReborn (JanusDarke in SC):

315p
325A
Retaliator