Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 159 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Thanks for the responses!

The anniversary sale has been extended through Tuesday (due to issues with the website that Turbulent have fixed).

Not that LTI is important to me, but I'm thinking if it's just a few clicks of the mouse...no reason not to

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Thanks! Grabbed one for another character slot and one for a gift.

That's how I got my Reliant with LTI. I had an extra Avenger Titan and CCU'd at $0 to the Reliant. I'd just buy the CCU for now and wait to apply it until the Reliant is flyable, or at least hangar ready. That way you have something to play with until then.

Yeah, that's a good idea (and what I did). I melted the Reliant with 3 year insurance and purchased the Titan with LTI. $0 cost in that transaction.

I'll CCU it to a Reliant when it's hangar ready.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Yeah, that's a good idea (and what I did). I melted the Reliant with 3 year insurance and purchased the Titan with LTI. $0 cost in that transaction.

I'll CCU it to a Reliant when it's hangar ready.

Make sure you pick up the CCU token today. You don't have to apply it until you're ready. After tomorrow the Reliant won't be on sale, and who knows when it will be again. The plan is once the game goes into Beta to stop real world cash ship sales.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Make sure you pick up the CCU token today. You don't have to apply it until you're ready. After tomorrow the Reliant won't be on sale, and who knows when it will be again. The plan is once the game goes into Beta to stop real world cash ship sales.

Thanks Sabrewings! You just saved me from making a mistake (I would have been stuck with an LTI Titan...which isn't "horrible" but I really want a Reliant).

In my hangar I'm showing a Titan LTI standalone ship and a "Titan Module to Reliant Upgrade".....so I think I'm all set.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
You're good to go. When ready, click the arrow on the upgrade and choose to apply it. A password later and you'll have a Reliant. :)

I love my Avenger's combination of utility and fighting prowess, but that Reliant is pretty awesome too.

Feb 4, 2009
Is my PTU experience common? Out of twenty five attempts 12 encounter a windows problem & close 1 crashes 2 invalid credentials 9 server full 1 success for a few minutes until it crashes.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Just to be clear, Warlock and Titan modules are ADD-ONS to the Avenger, right? Not a different variant?

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Is my PTU experience common? Out of twenty five attempts 12 encounter a windows problem & close 1 crashes 2 invalid credentials 9 server full 1 success for a few minutes until it crashes.

Yes - server-side problems are causing 99% of the issues.

People are playing 2.0 offline with a work-around and it's solid as a rock (many reporting zero crashes no matter how long they play). Once they line out all the issues with the servers it should be golden.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
Just to be clear, Warlock and Titan modules are ADD-ONS to the Avenger, right? Not a different variant?

The ones currently on sale are ship variants. They will be sold as stand alone modules at a later date but I have no idea if they will come with LTI then. I dunno why they are labeled as modules atm.

Current Titan Module - Avenger Stalker Ship w/ Cargo(Titan) module instead of the Cyro Pods

Current Warlock Module - Avenger Stalker Ship w/ EMP Genorator(Warlock) module instead of the Cryo Pods

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
This video is gorgeous.

A few moments stand out to me:

1:10 - - Mother of God....this can't be a video game....I'm watching a Hollywood film. Watching that Avenger fly in and out of the light during the first minute of the video....whoever says Cryengine doesn't hang anymore doesn't know what the hell they're talking about.

7:10 - - more amazing fireworks.

8:00 - - visits a repair facility and the drones repair his ship. Very cool watching the drones do their thing.

Make sure to watch at 60fps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HxZ0lamZnU

Last edited:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Yes - server-side problems are causing 99% of the issues.

People are playing 2.0 offline with a work-around and it's solid as a rock (many reporting zero crashes no matter how long they play). Once they line out all the issues with the servers it should be golden.

To be clear...that offline work-around is using an exploit and rumor has it that using that could get your account banned.

Fanatical I'd say your experience is a little on the unlucky side. I've had my share of network issues and crashes, but 1 out 25? Nope. My average is more like 60% (success).

Having said that, I can't get in at all tonight (since patch f dropped).

Feb 4, 2009
To be clear...that offline work-around is using an exploit and rumor has it that using that could get your account banned.

Fanatical I'd say your experience is a little on the unlucky side. I've had my share of network issues and crashes, but 1 out 25? Nope. My average is more like 60% (success).

Hey I'm sure some of it is due to my Q9650, I know I need a rebuild just not yet.

This processor has been a beast, SC is the only thing that really taxes it.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011

Yeah, it's definitely not something I would recommend, but it is interesting to hear how stable the build is apart from the server issues.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, it's definitely not something I would recommend, but it is interesting to hear how stable the build is apart from the server issues.

It is also good from the stand-point of not having everything integrated and tied directly to the online servers, which means the original pledge to have single-player/offline mode available are still alive and working, unlike in Elite where that option was thrown out the door >12 months before they made it public that offline mode was not going to happen anymore.

Feb 4, 2009
SLU did you get your PTU invite?

I also want to welcome two new Ballers
vshah and kn51

Once we're all in PTU or even a bunch of us we need to try out a multicrew ship

Last edited:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
So this might be a stupid question, but how long does it normally take for new ships in your account to show up in the game?

On Sunday I melted my Aurora LN package and replaced it with an Aurora MR package. I also purchased a standalone Avenger Titan.

However when I log into 2.0, all that is available to me is my old Aurora LN.

I've deleted my user folder and verified my files.....no luck. I'm still just seeing only an Aurora LN. This is everywhere....hangar, AC, Port Olisar.

It's like none of my transactions ever happened (but they've all been attributed to my account - I've verified that).

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
did you add them to your hangar via the RSI website? I don't know if that still causes confusion but it used to be that you need to assign them a hangar slot before they'd show.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
So this might be a stupid question, but how long does it normally take for new ships in your account to show up in the game?

On Sunday I melted my Aurora LN package and replaced it with an Aurora MR package. I also purchased a standalone Avenger Titan.

However when I log into 2.0, all that is available to me is my old Aurora LN.

I've deleted my user folder and verified my files.....no luck. I'm still just seeing only an Aurora LN. This is everywhere....hangar, AC, Port Olisar.

It's like none of my transactions ever happened (but they've all been attributed to my account - I've verified that).

Try copying your account over to the PTU again. It doesn't automatically update with account changes from the live side.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Just got my PTU invite, likely no time to play until this weekend. Plus side I should have my new monitor in by then

Feb 4, 2009
This video is gorgeous.

A few moments stand out to me:

1:10 - - Mother of God....this can't be a video game....I'm watching a Hollywood film. Watching that Avenger fly in and out of the light during the first minute of the video....whoever says Cryengine doesn't hang anymore doesn't know what the hell they're talking about.

7:10 - - more amazing fireworks.

8:00 - - visits a repair facility and the drones repair his ship. Very cool watching the drones do their thing.

Make sure to watch at 60fps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HxZ0lamZnU

I bet there are a few hard-core space sim guys complaining because there shouldn't be sound in space.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
This video made me get Voice Attack. I've been meaning to anyway (quite useful in Kerbal), but this pushed me over the edge. Hilarious.

(Works really well, BTW. Been playing with it this morning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF6RwJnIBKw

And I do love that video Stringjam. SC is one of the most beautiful space sims there is.

I bet there are a few hard-core space sim guys complaining because there shouldn't be sound in space.

Oh they are. But, the in lore answer is that the ships and suits offer reproduced audio to assist with situational awareness. So, everything you hear is simulated audio and it will be toggleable or damagable in the PU. Elite follows a similar concept in that you can hear until your cockpit is blown out and there is no atmosphere in your ship to carry the reproduced sound to you.

Cars have this sort of thing already. Some cars are so quiet but they want to offer driving excitement that engine audio comes through the speakers (BMW comes to mind). Others, like Subaru, have specific piping to bring turbo noises through the firewall so you can hear.