Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 158 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I still don't have the PTU option. Elevator doesn't show it. I followed the link maybe its delayed. SLU I'll help you out once I'm in. Can't say no to a Baller & fellow Massachusetts guy.

I thought it was directly accessible via the menu? Last I heard the elevators were broken and were not used.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I still don't have the PTU option. Elevator doesn't show it. I followed the link maybe its delayed. SLU I'll help you out once I'm in. Can't say no to a Baller & fellow Massachusetts guy.

You should log in to the PTU version from the launcher, not from the elevator.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I thought it was directly accessible via the menu? Last I heard the elevators were broken and were not used.

Correct. If your PTU code is working, after launch you immediately go to a menu screen (picture of Port Olisar with an Idris pulling up in the aft ground).

You'll have a bunch of choices (hangar, electronic access, exit game, options, universe). You want to choose Universe.

Getting to Port Olisar via hangar elevator stopped working (and was replaced with the menu system) with 2.0c I believe.

And I'm thankful for that.....I was having a helluva time accessing Port Olisar via elevator. No problems now.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
The brakes are totally off this hype train. The funding will probably crest $100 million by the end of the day. It was just $98 million last night.

Edit: Disregard. Hype train derailed. Counter must've been bugged and has since been fixed. Now at $98.1 million.

Last edited:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
The brakes are totally off this hype train. The funding will probably crest $100 million by the end of the day. It was just $98 million last night.

Edit: Disregard. Hype train derailed. Counter must've been bugged and has since been fixed. Now at $98.1 million.

Well.....I said I wouldn't put any more money into this. I said I wanted the satisfaction of starting "poor" and working my way up in-game.

But damn if I don't have the itch to do something to my fleet.

Thinking of adding a P-72 for racing and upgrading my Aurora LN to Titan or Reliant.

Doing the above would be $45. Or maybe I just drop $50 and get a Titan with LTI.

So many choices.

Feb 4, 2009
Correct. If your PTU code is working, after launch you immediately go to a menu screen (picture of Port Olisar with an Idris pulling up in the aft ground).

You'll have a bunch of choices (hangar, electronic access, exit game, options, universe). You want to choose Universe.

Getting to Port Olisar via hangar elevator stopped working (and was replaced with the menu system) with 2.0c I believe.

And I'm thankful for that.....I was having a helluva time accessing Port Olisar via elevator. No problems now.

Found it thanks!

Doh another big down load. Someday I'll make it in.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, had a chance to continue working on my flightstick modifications today. I finished all my fitting issues. The initial pics did not have the 16000.M's PCB in place or the PCB for the thumbstick in place. Today I finished removing the hat switch from the 16000.M's PCB, trimmed the leads from the trigger switch on the top of the board, trimmed some more plastic from inside of the handle to make the space I needed, cut 2mm from the top of the thumbstick's PCB, cut another 1mm deeper into the sides of the thumbstick's PCB (I have a semi-circular cut on each side with a little notch more taken out towards the top), soldered the thumbstick to it's PCB, trimmed all the leads that passed through bottom of the thumbstick PCB, and was able to fit it all together back in the 16000.M flightstick.

I need to place electrical tape on the bottom of the thumbstick PCB, run 4 wires up from the base of the 16000.M, solder the thumbstick PCB to the wires, and the wires to the teensy control board, cut the holes for the USB mount, and test out all my electrical connections. I might add a dab of hot glue to keep the thumbstick in place a little better, and I then need to program the control board to properly read the inputs from the thumbstick and act as a USB input device to Windows.

Really the hard part is done at this point. Running a couple wires is pretty easy compared to cutting into the 16000.M to make space for the thumbstick and PCB. I will be taking pics before I put it all together. It didn't come out too bad. Unfortunately I wasn't able to center the thumbstick as nicely as I had hoped due to the internals in the handle. I trimmed as much as I could from both the thumbstick and handle without losing structural integrity. I am still about 0.5-1mm from being centered, which unfortunately leaves a small gap on the one side of the thumbstick, but it is what it is...

Also, I am disabling the green LED on the base of the flightstick. It is just annoying as can be. And I just have to say getting that damn hat switch off the 16000.M's PCB was a major PITA!

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Seems like everybody is done with the family now, at least the folks that are in on the Alpha 2.0 PTU. Have been trying and trying and just keep getting server full error messages. Some of you buggers disconnect, please ;)

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Those living modules look awesome.

So, in a moment of weakness I decided I had to complete my Tali modules collection. I now have the torpedo bays as well.

"Witness the power of this fully armed... and operational Retaliator."

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
hahaa... the torp bays were the only things I had on mine (then again, I bought it when it was first announced which is why I received the torp bays).

I am really debating a hull series, but I want to leave something for me to get in the game :D

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Well.....I said I wouldn't put any more money into this. I said I wanted the satisfaction of starting "poor" and working my way up in-game.

But damn if I don't have the itch to do something to my fleet.

Thinking of adding a P-72 for racing and upgrading my Aurora LN to Titan or Reliant.

Doing the above would be $45. Or maybe I just drop $50 and get a Titan with LTI.

So many choices.

Both good choices. I love the Avenger...and the Merlin (and I would assume P-72) are both a lot of fun to fly.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Both good choices. I love the Avenger...and the Merlin (and I would assume P-72) are both a lot of fun to fly.

I wound up buying a $30 starter package and melting my Aurora LN package.....and then buying a Reliant.

So my hangar now contains an Aurora MR and a Reliant (or it will when they release that).

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
I wound up buying a $30 starter package and melting my Aurora LN package.....and then buying a Reliant.

So my hangar now contains an Aurora MR and a Reliant (or it will when they release that).

Looks like a good starter setup. You should be able to use the Aurora MR as a bit of a multi role ship with some combat, exploration and a bit of cargo running. The Reliant looks like it should work well as a starter cargo ship.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Looks like a good starter setup. You should be able to use the Aurora MR as a bit of a multi role ship with some combat, exploration and a bit of cargo running. The Reliant looks like it should work well as a starter cargo ship.

That's the plan! At least until I work my way up to a Freelancer.

I was absolutely torn (still am) between a Titan and Reliant. I decided on the Reliant mostly because of it's uniqueness.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Is the Avenger a competent ship? I'm looking for something not too expensive for my friend who isn't huge on sims but would still want something combat capable and I think the modules would be something useful for him to work toward to play a support role or do solo cargo hauls when nobody else is on.

Meanwhile, trying to decide if I want to grab something to complement my Super Hornet... maybe a cargo ship or exploration ship. Freelancer DUR? Didn't want to spend that much, and not sure how meaningful the exploration component of the game will be.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Well I'm in against my better judgement.

I joined the org.

My hanger:
P-72
Herald
Reliant
Aurora MR

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Is the Avenger a competent ship? I'm looking for something not too expensive for my friend who isn't huge on sims but would still want something combat capable and I think the modules would be something useful for him to work toward to play a support role or do solo cargo hauls when nobody else is on.

I think it is. Pretty versatile with the various modules, and it does very well in combat. Only negative, IMO, is the front gun is baked in (for now). I would rather be able to swap that out if I wanted.

Plus it handles well and it's fun to fly. They're redoing some things with the design from my understanding, like direct cockpit access instead of walking through the back.

I bought an Avenger Stalker package as a birthday gift to one of my good friends.

Until the 3xx series gets a makeover, the Avenger is my main single-seat squeeze. I like the 3xx because of the versatile hardpoints and great handling, but until they give it a cargo hold or better interior usage, it doesn't hang with the Avenger for utility. The entire rear cabin area of the 3xx is pretty much useless....just a void with barely enough headroom to walk around. I'd like to see them raise the ceiling in there and square off the back - - further back. The engine length for the 3xx is just huge compared to most other ships, I think the interior area could easily be lengthened by shortening that up.

I still have a soft spot for the 3xx. My first pledge was a 315p package, which I bought after seeing the commercial. ;) It just needs some thoughtful redesign to bring it back to where it belongs.

EDIT: It appears the 3xx will be getting underside cargo pods....so that's cool.

Last edited:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I bought a Reliant standalone ship for $50. It comes with 3 year insurance (anniversary edition).

But I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't have done the following instead:

Buy a Titan with LTI ($50) and then CCU it to a Reliant (no cost) and end up with a Reliant LTI.

Think that would work?

Not sure it's worth the effort though....3 years is a LONG time to have free hull insurance.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I would melt it, get a P-72 which has LTI, and then CCU to the Reliant. There is no issue CCU'ing from a lower cost ship to a higher cost one. I am not so sure about CCU'ing to a same cost ship. And it really isn't much of an effort, just not sure the sales are still up.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
I would melt it, get a P-72 which has LTI, and then CCU to the Reliant. There is no issue CCU'ing from a lower cost ship to a higher cost one. I am not so sure about CCU'ing to a same cost ship. And it really isn't much of an effort, just not sure the sales are still up.

CCUing to a same cost ship produces a $0 cross-chassis upgrade. You can only buy one of each way per order, ie Titan>Reliant or Reliant>Titan, but you can have as many as you want of each in your hangar to flip back and forth.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Last batch of $30 Starter packs is up:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Star-Citizen-Starter

1488 left as of this post.

Thanks! Grabbed one for another character slot and one for a gift.

I bought a Reliant standalone ship for $50. It comes with 3 year insurance (anniversary edition).

But I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't have done the following instead:

Buy a Titan with LTI ($50) and then CCU it to a Reliant (no cost) and end up with a Reliant LTI.

Think that would work?

Not sure it's worth the effort though....3 years is a LONG time to have free hull insurance.

That's how I got my Reliant with LTI. I had an extra Avenger Titan and CCU'd at $0 to the Reliant. I'd just buy the CCU for now and wait to apply it until the Reliant is flyable, or at least hangar ready. That way you have something to play with until then.