Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 153 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
BIG post on the Cutlass for anyone that has one, or is thinking of getting one.

Looks like this is going to be a weekly thing - I'm looking forward to these. Ship progress is something the info has been a little sparse on.

The Cutlass is one ship that has never appealed to me, falling somewhere between an Avenger (bounty hunter) and a Freelancer. I just don't think I have any particular use for it, but that may change in the PU when economic roles are better explained. The medical version may end up being very useful.

Last edited:

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
yeah, it's been through a lot (and a lot of neglect). I have one but i bought it for giggles so I'm not really invested in it. I feel for original cutlass owners though.

I think it has potential, just not as originally envisioned.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I really like the original concept, and it looks like it would make much better use of cargo space with the squared-off midsection. The only thing I would change would be to make the cockpit twice as wide as it is now that so that you could walk to the seats, and pull the unnecessarily wide engine mounts in closer to the hull (which they're actually doing in the rework)...and get rid of those secondary vectoring engines underneath the mains....it's pointless...just vector the mains.

Render08_copy.jpg

Right now CIG lists two of the roles being police / militia oriented, and we already know that players will not be allowed to "police." We will have bounty hunting, and I could see a better use with that.

Load the Cutlass up with Neutron cannons - disable and board. Same concept makes it very appealing to pirates (which according to lore, Drake caters to with these ships off the record).

I think what's really missing is an "explorer" variant. This ship is small enough to go through every jump point - has room to haul cargo (unlike the 315p), so those two things would give it an advantage over both the 315p and the Freelancer DUR, which as of now can only go through medium+ jump points. I would definitely buy that ship.

I would rather see an EW stealth variant and explorer variant....and I think both of those would be more useful. Paint it up black like a Hornet Ghost and give it some EW weaponry - - that would be a pirate dream boat.

Last edited:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I love the look of the Cutlass.....I'm disappointed it has been neglected and doesn't seem to have a role......hope that changes.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Well I had originally planned on going with the freelancer, eventually upgrading to a DUR when the different versions were announced. Now that I have a few more friends getting interested in the game however I want a larger ship. SO I upgraded to the constellation taurus. Might upgrade to a different constellation down the road if I really feel its worth it, but mainly I just wanted a larger ship.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Well I had originally planned on going with the freelancer, eventually upgrading to a DUR when the different versions were announced. Now that I have a few more friends getting interested in the game however I want a larger ship. SO I upgraded to the constellation taurus. Might upgrade to a different constellation down the road if I really feel its worth it, but mainly I just wanted a larger ship.

Heh totally understandable, and part of the reason that I went and purchased a Cutlass Red. The other part being my friends being the way they are they're likely going to need medical attention sooner rather than later.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ok, I have done lots of measurements and believe I can replace the hat with the thumbstick on the 16000M. I really don't like losing the hat, but it goes or I can give up on the analog thumbstick.

I don't know how well I will do hand drilling a PCB board to hold the new analog thumbstick (need to remove some of the material so that the other buttons on it can still function). I also forgot to get a USB2 A->B cable.

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Here's the Org as it sits.

FactionShips20151116.png

There's a site that produces these, so to get a preview out for everyone I used it. This is just a down and dirty mix from the following info:

So, I've seen some fleet org composition backgrounds/charts/whatever, and I was thinking of making one for AT Ballers. If you're interested in participating and part of AT Ballers, please list all the ships you currently own. I will create a listing and keep it updated. They won't be arranged by owner, but by ship type to show our communal ownership.

I'll start here, I guess.

Sabrewings:
Constellation Aquila
Retaliator
Avenger
Sabre x2
Greycat

Stringjam:
Constellation Aquila
315p
350R
M50
Gladius
Sabre
Hornet Ghost
Merlin x2
Greycat
Avenger
Freelancer DUR

Worthington:
Super Hornet
Vanguard
Sabre
Cutlass Blue
Phoenix
890 Jump
Herald
Aurora

nsafreak:
Hornet Ghost
Cutlass Red
P52 Merlin

SLU Aequitas:
Super Hornet
Sabre

Red Storm:
Super Hornet
315p

SunnyD:
Aurora LX

rivethead:
Aurora LN

vshah:
Super Hornet
Sabre
Hull Ax2 (for the moment)

Fanatical Meat:
Cutlass Black
Freelancer

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011

That's awesome, Sabre - - thanks for putting that together!

If that's to scale, I didn't realize the 890 was so much bigger than a Connie. Good thing we don't have a bunch of them or your graphic would take up 3 monitors. ;)

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
So, I've seen some fleet org composition backgrounds/charts/whatever, and I was thinking of making one for AT Ballers. If you're interested in participating and part of AT Ballers, please list all the ships you currently own. I will create a listing and keep it updated. They won't be arranged by owner, but by ship type to show our communal ownership.

I'll start here, I guess.

SunnyD:
Aurora LX

Oh, uh... awkward!

I forget, will it be possible to be affiliated with multiple organizations? Because if not, I'm already spoken for... :sneaky:

Feb 4, 2009

FactionShips20151116.png

There's a site that produces these, so to get a preview out for everyone I used it. This is just a down and dirty mix from the following info:

Great work! Nice to have a list of Ballers. We're still looking for members apply below:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/OLDSBAMENT

Please post your Star Citizen name here so we know who you are.

*I had no idea my Cutlass was that big it doesn't appear to be about the same size as my Freelancer in the hanger.

Feb 4, 2009
Oh, uh... awkward!

I forget, will it be possible to be affiliated with multiple organizations? Because if not, I'm already spoken for... :sneaky:

As far as I know you can be in multiple organizations.

I've been lax in my Baller duties, I apologize. We have two pending applications who is vshah and Aequitas?

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
You missed me. Here are my ships:

Touche!

I'll get it updated soon. Nice collection.

Oh, uh... awkward!

You can be in multiple orgs. I think I'm in three myself. AT Ballers is my primary, though. Not super org enthused, I just like having options for playing with others casually if I feel.

*I had no idea my Cutlass was that big it doesn't appear to be about the same size as my Freelancer in the hanger.

Yeah, I'm not sure if that website is 100% accurate. There's other size relation sheets I'll be using when I make one.

SLU I'm guessing? And there's a vshah on boards.

Yep, that's SLU. I already have him in my contacts through the game.

Feb 4, 2009
I just accepted SLU to the Ballers, sorry I was so late and welcome. Still looking for who vshah is.

Kell I hope I get to man the Reclaimer with you someday.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Oh, uh... awkward!

Yes, you can be affiliated with more than one org. You will need to select a primary one, but otherwise can be members of multiple others at the same time.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I just accepted SLU to the Ballers, sorry I was so late and welcome. Still looking for who vshah is.

Kell I hope I get to man the Reclaimer with you someday.

I hope it will be fun as well. It seems like they are at least putting a decent effort into the salvage mechanic in the game (unlike EVE). Being able to possibly salvage/rescue a an entire ship (and then sell it) seems like a possibly good living in the game (especially if you know where the battlefields were).

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I hope it will be fun as well. It seems like they are at least putting a decent effort into the salvage mechanic in the game (unlike EVE). Being able to possibly salvage/rescue a an entire ship (and then sell it) seems like a possibly good living in the game (especially if you know where the battlefields were).

I have a feeling my Connie will be in need of a lot of rescue / salvage as I venture off into the unknown. I'll try to shoot you a message before I jump in the escape pod. ;)

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I have a feeling my Connie will be in need of a lot of rescue / salvage as I venture off into the unknown. I'll try to shoot you a message before I jump in the escape pod. ;)

I'll come and pick you up in my Connie or Tali if need be. Or, if a rescue Avenger variant is going to be a real thing I'll be CCU'ing my existing one into it. :D

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I'll come and pick you up in my Connie or Tali if need be. Or, if a rescue Avenger variant is going to be a real thing I'll be CCU'ing my existing one into it. :D

One thing I haven't figured out - if you end up using the Merlin as an "escape pod" from the Connie, how you're going to get back home without a jump drive, or if it will contain enough fuel to supercruise to the nearest space station.

I'm unsure if there will be some sort of available transport service in the repair areas to get the ship back in-hangar.