Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 100 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ToySoldier

Dec 17, 2003
Oh right sq 42 is episodic now. D:
Scope of SQ 42 is much larger due to record crowd funding. Future chapters can be purchased just like the old days with Wing Commander. Nothing new and... SINGLE PLAYER!!! Woo Hoo!

250px-Sm1front_zpseqoccqv4.jpg

Last edited:

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
No way this game flops financially by running out of money, considering how much money was raised and how much work was put into it if anything it becomes a low risk investment for any publisher with a bit of cash.

At the end of the day I'm sure Chris Roberts got his ass legally covered in every way possible, your money is good as gone and you best hope they make a good game.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
At the end of the day I'm sure Chris Roberts got his ass legally covered in every way possible, your money is good as gone and you best hope they make a good game.

That said, you money really isn't as good as gone. You can easily sell any ships your have purchased as they all can be transferred at least 1 time I believe (well everything that originally cost less than $1k I believe as there are tax code implications). You can sell your account as well with all your stuff as well. Plenty of people on ebay or other sites have setup sales forums (starcitizenbase I believe has a pretty big one). If you were an original or veteran backer with LTI ships, you can usually get 10-20% more than what you bought them for, and if you have a scythe, well, probably 3-5x what you bought it for.

If you want out, there are plenty of people out there who would "buy you out" and you recoup your investment.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Scope of SQ 42 is much larger due to record crowd funding. Future chapters can be purchased just like the old days with Wing Commander. Nothing new and... SINGLE PLAYER!!! Woo Hoo!

Wait a minute. You mean I paid for sq 42 but now they are changing that to I only paid for chapter 1 of sq 42? D: I would need to buy every new chapter now? And you guys are ok with this?

ToySoldier

Dec 17, 2003
Wait a minute. You mean I paid for sq 42 but now they are changing that to I only paid for chapter 1 of sq 42? D: I would need to buy every new chapter now? And you guys are ok with this?
Chapter 1 will be a complete game. Expansion chapters are optional and will continue to be developed assuming there is enough interest from the SC players.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
That said, you money really isn't as good as gone. You can easily sell any ships your have purchased as they all can be transferred at least 1 time I believe (well everything that originally cost less than $1k I believe as there are tax code implications). You can sell your account as well with all your stuff as well. Plenty of people on ebay or other sites have setup sales forums (starcitizenbase I believe has a pretty big one). If you were an original or veteran backer with LTI ships, you can usually get 10-20% more than what you bought them for, and if you have a scythe, well, probably 3-5x what you bought it for.

If you want out, there are plenty of people out there who would "buy you out" and you recoup your investment.

Good points.

You know I lost interest the moment they started offering rewards and ships for different donations/investments/purchases. I wish they went with pay $60, wait 3-4 years, then play the pure unadulterated single player campaign without the bullshit MMO systems. If they wanted to make an MMO with all those systems they should have done an expansion, and made their cash shops then, not when they were in pre-Alpha.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Chapter 1 will be a complete game. Expansion chapters are optional and will continue to be developed assuming there is enough interest from the SC players.

I just looked into this and I guess I get the second one as well as all backers before 6 mill get both as 6 mill the second was a stretch goal.

ToySoldier

Dec 17, 2003
I just looked into this and I guess I get the second one as well as all backers before 6 mill get both as 6 mill the second was a stretch goal.
Yes... I kept it simple. I have to find the specific thread Ben talks about this and explains it in detail. Excellent way to keep revenue rolling in and have different expanding story lines. Perhaps even a 'Privateer' type single player off-shoot.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Yes... I kept it simple. I have to find the specific thread Ben talks about this and explains it in detail. Excellent way to keep revenue rolling in and have different expanding story lines. Perhaps even a 'Privateer' type single player off-shoot.

Privateer was one of the original goals.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I haven't really been keeping up with events for the past six months. I just remember it was a lot of fanboy/trollish arguments about this unreleased-and-still-in-design feature or that unreleased-and-still-in-design feature on the official forums so I stopped frequenting them.

I'd rather come back when it's near release and be wowed than waste time speculating about an unreleased game with unfinalized gameplay mechanics.

Chaotic0ne

Jul 12, 2015
The concept of the game seems cool, but I was disappointed when I found out they went with a pay-to-win approach for the game. Like people paying real money so they can start the game with uber ships and permanent insurance on them. Some of them paying into the thousands for digital ships, because having an advantage over other players without earning it in game is so important to them. Seems real fair when some pay-to-winner can kamikaze his starship into a ship you spent a ton of time and effort into obtaining. Pay-to-win is illegitimate. I'm more interested in No Man's Sky.

ToySoldier

Dec 17, 2003
The concept of the game seems cool, but I was disappointed when I found out they went with a pay-to-win approach for the game.

Star Citizen is not "Pay to Win". You clearly dont understand the concept of the game. There is no "Winning" in Star Citizen.

However it will be amusing to see someone in a Starter Ship they earned via the optional single player 'Squadron 42' or some initial grinding in the online universe and take out and/or capture someone with a Super Hornet they paid for in real $$ because they suck as a fighter pilot.

https://youtu.be/PqpuzPZw2Dk

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
The concept of the game seems cool, but I was disappointed when I found out they went with a pay-to-win approach for the game. Like people paying real money so they can start the game with uber ships and permanent insurance on them. Some of them paying into the thousands for digital ships, because having an advantage over other players without earning it in game is so important to them. Seems real fair when some pay-to-winner can kamikaze his starship into a ship you spent a ton of time and effort into obtaining. Pay-to-win is illegitimate. I'm more interested in No Man's Sky.

Just about everything has been addressed already. Lifetime insurance is a convenience, you cannot kamikaze spam, ship replacements are limited (i.e. You may need to wait several in game days for the next hornet batch to be allotted to you). CR has also said they'll monitor kamikaze spam.

The game itself is also skill based, and all ships can be obtained in game.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
The reason I'm so negative about this game is that it looked like it was perfect. You can buy cool ships, or earn them in the single player (with story) or multiplayer parts of the game. But then came all the other features (creeping on in) and delays.

Have they release how much cash they still have on hand? I think they're spending more on marketing than people realize, which means they have less than $85 million to develop the game. I think this game is more likely to run out of money than it is to put out a quality space sim.

Feb 4, 2009
Lreslove, they could easily go the investor or bank loan route if needed. The amount of money raised proves they are developing something people will spend money on. I wouldn't worry about them running out of cash.
Point is taken on feature creep or perpetual delays.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Lreslove, they could easily go the investor or bank loan route if needed. The amount of money raised proves they are developing something people will spend money on. I wouldn't worry about them running out of cash.
Point is taken on feature creep or perpetual delays.

It looks like they have an entire marketing department AND they were at last E3 ($$$), so they are clearly at least in the 7 figure area for marketing costs.

Also, there are several things that will make it difficult to gain additional capital from traditional sources. 1st is that there have already been so many delays. 2nd is that it's still buggy. 3rd is that a very big portion of your customers have already bought the game, and that money has already been spent. 4th is the threat of a huge media backlash if all those customers who've already paid start complaining about the quality of the game. Given that the most ardent customers have already spent their money, this could lead to a situation where practically no one who hasn't backed the game actually purchases it. And, I'm sure there are other things that aren't coming to mind, at the moment.

There are so many red flags involved in this project that I think most potential investors will be very wary of supporting it.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I don't think banks or investors will give CR millions of dollars after he blew through $85 million and his core customers already purchased the game.

His hardcore, early adopter customers did, but I'm not convinced the potential market is gone.

I was a huge fan of WC 1-2 back in the day and he has $0 from me so far. If / when there is a completed single-player game out, that will change if reviews are good.

Other niche games like Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun have apparently made a fair amount of money post-Kickstarter. Though I'll grant you their KS funding was nothing like SC.

ToySoldier

Dec 17, 2003
Have they release how much cash they still have on hand? I think they're spending more on marketing than people realize, which means they have less than $85 million to develop the game. I think this game is more likely to run out of money than it is to put out a quality space sim.

The ONLY marketing I've seen them spend $$ on are the Star Citizen Conventions and whenever they attend gaming conventions. I do not see posters at GameStop.... I do not see ads while reading PC Gamer:

Quote from Chris Roberts when they hit $55 million:

As Star Citizen hits $55m, Chris Roberts insists all money goes back into development

"Star Citizen isn't a normal game." - Chris Roberts

Roberts insisted that all money made by the game ahead of launch is being spent on development.

"Every effort is about enriching the game's vision," he said. "Funding to date has allowed us to go so far beyond what I thought was possible in 2012. You're still getting that game, no question, but it will be all the richer and so much more immersive because of the additional funding."

More than 280 people are working on Star Citizen in studios in the US and UK. CIG keeps a "healthy" cash reserve so that if funding stopped tomorrow the developer would still be able to deliver the game.