standing navies vs. property owners.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
http://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/opinion/letters/168535066.html?mobile=true

I think the above link is a pretty good response and it's true that the military and the contractors don't pay taxes... I'd also argue that they're far greater leeches than the ones who sit at home, collect welfare, and don't do anything at all because the contractors and troops actually do something bad... that is, they murder and destroy.

Sadly, too many people would rather see destruction than neutrality.

Also, if someone refused to comply with tax legislation, then the do nothing welfare recipients wouldn't be the ones using legislated violence against those who were productive... rather, the military would be the ones coming after productive members of society if the latter had a really sophisticated plan and the contractors would be receiving welfare also.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-

I think the above link is a pretty good response and it's true that the military and the contractors don't pay taxes...

Military personnel pay income tax, both federal and state. So do military contractors.

Fern

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

I think the above link is a pretty good response and it's true that the military and the contractors don't pay taxes... I'd also argue that they're far greater leeches than the ones who sit at home, collect welfare, and don't do anything at all because the contractors and troops actually do something bad... that is, they murder and destroy.

Also, if someone refused to comply with tax legislation, then the do nothing welfare recipients wouldn't be the ones using legislated violence against those who were productive... rather, the military would be the ones coming after productive members of society if the latter had a really sophisticated plan and the contractors would be receiving welfare also.

so you take a blog from someone that does not know what they are talking about; regurgitate what was said; do not do any research into what the heck they are talking about and expect the P&N crowd to accept you idiotic post at your word?:thumbsdown:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
so you take a blog from someone that does not know what they are talking about; regurgitate what was said; do not do any research into what the heck they are talking about and expect the P&N crowd to accept you idiotic post at your word?:thumbsdown:

How is that different than every other P&N thread?

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
Military personnel pay income tax, both federal and state. So do military contractors.

Fern

The article is questioning if military bases pay property taxes to the county, I can't claim to know what Anarchist is specifically referring to though.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Few government entities pay taxes to another.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
I'm not implying the base should be paying property taxes, I was just correcting people who incorrectly thought it was about personal income tax.

That said, per the article the base is on a private island and it's a bit different than federal parks on federal land. Assuming the base receives no county services or utilities it clearly shouldn't be subjected to property taxes.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
special-kind-of-stupid.jpg

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I didn't really read the whole thing, but my point was that contractors and sailors are not tax payers because they take more than they pay and also that now they're making property owners miserable by making too much noise near the property without the consent of the property owners.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002

I take it you must be a do nothing welfare recipient.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
The article is questioning if military bases pay property taxes to the county, I can't claim to know what Anarchist is specifically referring to though.

I read the article yesterday before posting. I didn't see any type of tax specifically mentioned.

The military would not pay R/E tax on their land.

Military contractors are subject to the same taxes as any other business, including R/E and local sales tax.

Any military personnel, or their families living off base would be paying R/E taxes like anyone else. They would also be paying local sales taxes for purchases made at local businesses like anyone else.

I think this is overall a question of the military supporting the local community economically. I have never before heard of such a complaint. In every base closure I have heard of, locals complain about the devastating effects of the closure to their economy.

Fern

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I didn't really read the whole thing, but my point was that contractors and sailors are not tax payers because they take more than they pay and also that now they're making property owners miserable by making too much noise near the property without the consent of the property owners.

Jesus, you seriously graduated from community college?

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Maybe they should do what the Norfolk Naval base did many years ago (60's). Have all the personnel stationed there make their purchases on base and nowhere else for 3 months. Doing this back then caused many businesses to go under and the government bought their property for pennies on the dollar.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Jet noise - Sound of Freedom

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I think this is overall a question of the military supporting the local community economically. I have never before heard of such a complaint. In every base closure I have heard of, locals complain about the devastating effects of the closure to their economy.

Fern

You would think that's the way it would work, but...

In most of my career I've worked in Navy towns. First, I lived in Groton, CT for six years. Electric Boat (which makes submarines for the Navy) was the largest employer, followed by the Navy Base itself, then Pfizer, and then the Coast Guard. The locals could not stand the Navy. I for the life of me could not figure it out. Many people I work with are ex-Navy and were stationed at Dam Neck/Virginia Beach Virginia/Norflolk and they used to have signs that said sailors and dogs keep off the grass.

On the other hand, I've lived almost continually in the Bremerton, WA area, for the last 22 years. You have a Nave Base/Shipyard, a Submarine Base, and a base for maintaining torpedoes (Keyport). Here, the Navy and local community get along just fine.

It's really strange, that in some places the people will bite the hand that feeds them.

Last edited: