Standalone dvd player vs software dvd player

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
I had the 2405 for a long time now but never attempted to connect it to my sony dvd changer. Last night I decided to try this out to see how the picture compares to watching a dvd in Windows using WinDVD. The 2405 is currently connected to my PC using the DVI-D connection running an Ati x850 AIW. Overall the picture was good. I then connected it to my dvd changer using component cables and set it for 16:9 progressive scanning. I was pretty blown away at the difference in picture quality. Much better details and color reproduction. I can only imagine how much better it would be even more if my dvd player can upconvert to 1080i.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: tanishalfelven
really ?
what player do you use ? (software)

windvd, apparently.

i'm more interested in the changer brand. i'm guessin it's a real consumer electronics name, and not some random chinese brand that best buy stocks for black friday.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: tanishalfelven
really ?
what player do you use ? (software)

windvd, apparently.

i'm more interested in the changer brand. i'm guessin it's a real consumer electronics name, and not some random chinese brand that best buy stocks for black friday.

It's a Sony 400 disc dvd changer. This is an earlier model so it only does progressive scanning. I will be replacing it with the newer model which does upconversion to 1080i in the near future.