stan lee is getting the shaft

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Where does it say that he signed something that denies him profits? All I see is this line:

Marvel has reported millions of dollars in earnings from the film but has told Lee the company has seen no "profits" as defined by their contract.

Which just says that the money they've earned on the movie does not fall under what profits were defined as under their contract.

It's a total scam, but it happens all the time. Movie companies have become really good at hiding actual profits in order not to pay people.

DigDug

Mar 21, 2002
With a good lawyer, he might be able to get the court to disregard the contract on the grounds of unconscionability, or another equitable doctrine. However, seeing as he's in the business, he isn't exactly the "poor uninformed consumer" that courts usually extend the helping hand of equitability to.

Why didn't he get a competent lawyer to foresee this action on Marvel's part, and avoid this whole mess? If its fairly common as someone posted, Stan Lee himself should have been a bit more cautios than he was.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Stan Lee is nuttier than a payday bar... the guy's a kook....

They should pay him off give him a pension and be done with it...

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
well, his yearly salary is a set $1million and it doesn't say anything about movies or cartoons and all that stuff. If he wants extra he should have changed his contract before marvel started making big bucks from movies. But the man does deserve it though I guess

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: bigrash
well, his yearly salary is a set $1million and it doesn't say anything about movies or cartoons and all that stuff. If he wants extra he should have changed his contract before marvel started making big bucks from movies. But the man does deserve it though I guess

There are a lot of people in the industry who deserve it as well....