Stallard Arms INC Model JS 9mm

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Any of you guys ever had any experance with one of these?
I just picked one up today for CHEAP!
Got a 8 round and a 9 round clip aswell.

I took it out to the woods this afternoon and it shoots dead on...

But now I have to clean it.. ;)

Anyone ever broken down one of these beasts??

Feb 10, 2000
Isn't a Stallard some kind of ~$100 Saturday-night special, a la Hi-Point or Raven Arms? No offense meant by this; I have never seen or handled one.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Sorry, I've got no info on it for you, but I do have a question: how cheap is "CHEAP!"?

free bump, btw

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Isn't a Stallard some kind of ~$100 Saturday-night special, a la Hi-Point or Raven Arms? No offense meant by this; I have never seen or handled one

Yeah it's not real pretty, but it does work and I can hit what I aim at. And in the end, it's that what counts? ;)

And for $100 I figure I could resell it after awhile and brake even...

BTW: I finally figured out how to strip it. You have to knock out a roll pin in the body through a notch in the slide...

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
I don't trust cheap pistols. Especially autoloaders. Friend of mine was nearly hurt badly when his buddy's Bryco exploded. Make sure you wear shooting glasses and take someone with you when you're shooting.

kgraeme

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Stallard may be cheap in price, but many people love them because they are American made. I personally don't get excited about guns anymore. They are a tool. I don't buy a lawnmower when I live in an apartment, and I don't have a gun if I'm not being asked to shoot people. As for self-defense, I personally don't need a gun for that and it's never even come up for about the last fifteen years.

ronstallard

Mar 29, 2011
Any of you guys ever had any experance with one of these?
I just picked one up today for CHEAP!

I took it out to the woods this afternoon and it shoots dead on...

But now I have to clean it.. ;)

Anyone ever broken down one of these beasts??
Pull the slide back untill you see a roll pin. Use a punch and drive it out. Lift the slide and it soms apart. Put it back together the same. make sure sear is in corect position. Cleaning can be done without taking it apart.
clean the bore and throat with a barrel brush. Wipe it clean and shoot again.
I used to make a jig with a nails in a board to hole the slide into position.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006

magazine

Magazine&

:colbert:

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Pull the slide back untill you see a roll pin. Use a punch and drive it out. Lift the slide and it soms apart. Put it back together the same. make sure sear is in corect position. Cleaning can be done without taking it apart.
clean the bore and throat with a barrel brush. Wipe it clean and shoot again.
I used to make a jig with a nails in a board to hole the slide into position.

No blackman avatar?

jeff stallard

Aug 7, 2016
This is a great gun for the price. When I purchased mine, I paid $70.00 US for it and right out of the box I could hit a palm size group single handed at 20 yards. I have never in over 15+ years or so have I ever had any problems using a full clip as the OP said. I think the biggest drawback to the gun is that it is heavy, but is great for close quarters combat as a back-up to my Walther P38, 1943 9MM..

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I've always been a bit skittish about firing any firearm with the word cheap involved myself.

jeff stallard

Aug 7, 2016
A long post:

I made my first pistol when I was 15, it was a muzzle loading pistol with a cherry handle, .50 caliber and was of 1.15" cold roll steel, hand made trigger mechanism, and used a bent silver spoon as the trigger guard. It used a typical cap on the bolster which I made out of a nickle bolt. Used a BB for the front sight. I could hit a pie plate with it at 20 yards. Not too bad for a hand made!

Some history about Stallard Arms Inc. that some members may not know:

The Stallard JS-9MM's were first made starting in a man's garage. Mr. Stallard designed the gun and they were not mass produced like many of the hand guns are, Stallard made one gun at a time starting out, then he later partnered with a man named Haskel. The two men started making 9MM's and then added 45ACP's using the same design.
The 9MM's were stamped with "Stallard" and the 45 ACP's were stamped with "Haskel".
I was surprised the guns had different names stamped on them, over the phone the company told the story I just typed.

The gun I kept for my collection was a JS-9MM which was bought out of a lot of ten pistols, mainly because the name Stallard which is the same as mine. The other 9 pistols, some 9MM's some 45ACP's, were given to close Stallard family members. I think got the price as wholesale holding an FFL license and a Class 3 permit.

Some guns that are considered "cheap" perform well. When we bought these guns like I said for $70.00 was a bulk purchase. $70.00 back then was probably equal to $200.00 - $300.00 today vs US dollar's buying.

It seems reasonable to consider a lot of companies first starting out, gain popularity by almost giving their product away, as you see on TV, just for S/H, and others find it difficult to compete with established companies who have been making guns since the west was wild. So, in order for Stallard to get their handguns out to the public with their pistols they took a loss just to get feedback from buyers. Almost all "small" companies, they have "fire sales" to receive some return on their investment and at the same time get their product out to the public.

IMHO this does not mean that "Stallard Arms" pistols are cheaply made. I would rate them over brands like "RG" and the other hundreds of brands of .25 semi's and .22 revolvers which jam or shred lead, etc.

Since I can roll a pop can 50 feet away down beside the farm with ease with my JS-9MM, tells me that I sure would not want to be on the business end of any of the "Stallard Arms" guns.

That would be a bad day...... . :eek: o_O\\\\\\\\

Last edited:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Are you the original designer's grandson or something, Jeff? Not surprising you'd give it a glowing review.
AwesomeSmile.png

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I've had some cheap revolvers that did not index so well. Hot shaved lead is not so nice :)
cheap .22 ammo is more entertaining. Plinking at some targets across a stream, one round went clunk, and then plunk into the stream. I figure it only had the primer mix in the rim .