Stalker SOC X-16 Labs....

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
So I'm currently playing Stalker SOC Complete for the 1st time on master difficulty. I stream when I play. So for your viewing pleasure, my 1st incursion and death..... in the X-16 labs, about 20 minutes ago.

Turn up the sound and you can hear what causes me to do double takes.

For my end, skip to 6:40.

This game gets a bit eerie sometimes.. panic firing DOES not help...think I have had enough for tonight.

http://www.twitch.tv/xsmee/b/306986533

EDIT-I have been informed this is X18, my oversight, this is my 1st play through and I am not always aware of where I am.

Last edited:

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
What fun! I remember nearly jumping out of my chair when running across some of those things, and trying to run away too...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
hehe, the Labs were some of the creepiest moments in Gaming I have ever had.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I just got out of Lab X-16 in my current playthrough of STALKER. Some of the scariest stuff I've ever experienced in a game.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
I personally found x18 to be the creepiest from the bunch, even at the re-visit. I usually skip it whenever I get to the Dark Valley.

X16 is only interesting the first time you visit it however.

Best underground will always be Agropom.

P.S. running Oblivion mod, maybe that's why it's different for me, I couldn't really care for the Complete mod much.

TOTAL FAIL LOL. I wrote the comment before seeing the vid. That IS X18 you're at!! X16 is in Yantar.

Last edited:

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
TOTAL FAIL LOL. I wrote the comment before seeing the vid. That IS X18 you're at!! X16 is in Yantar.

Hahah good to know, I didn't actually watch the video either. I agree; X18 is scarier than X16.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
Also you may want to dismount the scope and go iron sights in closed areas. That weapon is great if you use it properly.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Also you may want to dismount the scope and go iron sights in closed areas. That weapon is great if you use it properly.

Isn't it amazing how good the gun work is? The ballistic and everything just feel so good. And then you get the derps who say they don't like the game because the guns dont shoot straight. No it's just the game owning you again.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Indeed, the X-18 Lab was a place that I'd rather not go again, scary, what got me the most weren't even the random creepy sounds around but the moving objects and the lightning/shadows effects. The same goes for the Agroprom's underground (some call it the sewers) level, with the famous (or infamous) mind controller guy near the end. I also thought that the Red Forest in Clear Sky was great for atmosphere (Swamp isn't bad either, and it's the first map).

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Indeed, the X-18 Lab was a place that I'd rather not go again, scary, what got me the most weren't even the random creepy sounds around but the moving objects and the lightning/shadows effects. The same goes for the Agroprom's underground (some call it the sewers) level, with the famous (or infamous) mind controller guy near the end. I also thought that the Red Forest in Clear Sky was great for atmosphere (Swamp isn't bad either, and it's the first map).

That sewers part was fine until the end and then it was HELL ON EARTH.

Stalker SoC made me badly motion sick and by the time I was coming to end of the underground section I was suffering really badly but I wanted to complete the section.

Big mistake.

When the Mind Controller attacked me, the screen blurred and I thought I was going mad. A piercing shrill noise went through my ears and I thought I had a bout of tinnitus which I occasionally get. Then my PC starts taking damage and I see a figure standing at the end of the tunnel. Rambo style charging and shooting worked wonders.

Suddenly most of my problems had gone and I lay down in a dark, quiet room for several hours until it stopped spinning.

Good times!

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
that level is great! but dude, why are you running around in the rad suit? is it needed for the difficulty level?

Normally I have another suit but the weight was causing problems, this was my 1st outing without it. I don't know if it's the mod or the difficulty but radiation and burning and stuff like that is REALLY deadly. I have not played it any other way so I am not sure. heh

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011

Yup. M16 with iron-sights was my favorite assault rifle in this game.

The Complete Mod with the realistic weapons mod made the game much better. When you shoot people, they die. I think before it was more a matter of enemies being able to take too much hit damage before going down.

Same thing with Crysis without the realistic weapons mod....feel like you're shooting a paint-ball gun or something.

The best way to play any FPS.....realistic hit damage. You get good at using "lean" and poking around corners in STALKER. NPC's have a habit of popping through doorways and shooting VERY quickly. It can be very nerve-wrecking in old buildings with lots of rooms / hallways. ;)

It's a shame the franchise is no more. There is nothing else like it. Nothing.

Xcobra

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2004
Man, all this talk makes me want to play all three games all over again...*tear* I hope S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 makes it through.

finglobes

Dec 13, 2010
SOC seems an underrated game to me. I think because it had so many bugs to start it never caught the hype it could have. Its a very imaginative game but you don't realize that until you've played a bit.

Oct 25, 2006
After playing Misery on CoP, SOC is so easy, disappointing really.

I'm playing, and even with difficulty at master, and mods that make the game harder, its a cake walk.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
After playing Misery on CoP, SOC is so easy, disappointing really.

I'm playing, and even with difficulty at master, and mods that make the game harder, its a cake walk.

Try AMK mod , if you can still find it anywhere that is. You'll be pissed all the time rest assured. A freaking bandit one shots you with a Makarov from 100yds.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
So I'm currently playing Stalker SOC Complete for the 1st time on master difficulty.
It looks like you're running the Stalker Complete mod? If so, you aren't really playing it on master difficulty. That mod makes things far too easy.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
It looks like you're running the Stalker Complete mod? If so, you aren't really playing it on master difficulty. That mod makes things far too easy.

Are you a god? I'm playing SOC for my first time on super-easy mode and I'm still struggling. :biggrin:

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
SOC seems an underrated game to me. I think because it had so many bugs to start it never caught the hype it could have. Its a very imaginative game but you don't realize that until you've played a bit.

Pretty much. I tried it back when it came out and hated the weapon handling and that they changed it to not be open world and never bothered to try anything in the series again. These mods that rework the weapon handling sound interesting though...

Oct 25, 2006
Try AMK mod , if you can still find it anywhere that is. You'll be pissed all the time rest assured. A freaking bandit one shots you with a Makarov from 100yds.

I AM on the AMK mod. I agree that the inhuman accuracy at some points is annoying, but other than that, the obscene amount of health items (Having over 5 is insane), the strength of the guns you get VERY early game, artifacts laying everywhere so no money problems, makes for a very overall easy mod.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
I AM on the AMK mod. I agree that the inhuman accuracy at some points is annoying, but other than that, the obscene amount of health items (Having over 5 is insane), the strength of the guns you get VERY early game, artifacts laying everywhere so no money problems, makes for a very overall easy mod.

Can you post a link for the mod? I've had it and deleted it long ago, couldn't find it after.