Stalker rebalanced mod 1.05

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Anyone ever tried this mod? I got it off filefront because it seemed to have all the features I was looking for, ambient sound overhaul, weather and Gosukes awesome weapon mods.

However when I attempt the first "mission" where you and 3 NPC allies go to rid the motor depot of bandits things fall apart. The only named NPC in the group dies somehow while he is behind a truck, leaving me with two unimportant allies. They both get killed usually within a minute or two, one of which I observed die after getting one shotgun blast straight to the face from a good 10 paces. After that I am completely alone and outnumbered/outgunned. Many times I get hit by a miraculous shotgun blast and killed in one ignominious hit.

I am trying everything logical in my "FPS skill book" but nothing is working. I contacted the mod's author and he basically just told me to not approach enemies head on and that the game gets "easier" later when you get better gear.

I don't like giving up, especially because I have never beaten Stalker with mods enabled, but this is really crushing me. Anyone else ever tried this mod?

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Ambush some of the soldiers to the south and take their guns? They usually send patrols of 3 or 4 up the road just short of the stalker base, if you get lucky with a few nades you might take them out.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
I can't snipe with a starter pistol very well, and the soldier patrols aren't any easier than the bandits. I guess I was just checking for my own sanity to see if someone else was utterly spanked by this mod.

Oct 25, 2006
I loved SoC, but I cant bring myself to like Clear Skies. It might be the ballistics mod I installed that make the enemy guns super accurate, but I keep dying on a mission no matter how much I stay behind cover, just because I cant take on 10 bandits at once

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
i know the part you are talking about. Try to sneak inside the first building on the right. Go up a ladder and make them come to you.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Especially early on, you can't let the NPC's do the work for you. Be the distraction that the friendlies need in order to be of any help to you. I usually approached that area from the broken truck to your left (as you're looking at the depot from the road/bridge). Use the truck as cover to quickly take out the patrol bandit, and gain attention of the guys around the campfire. You may even be able to pop the guy on the second floor of the building to your left (as seen from the broken truck).

Alternately, you can lob a grenade at the campfire inside the building, and take out the patrol when he spots this.

Duck and cover is your friend with the SoC hardcore mods. These mods are the way this game, in my opinion, should be played. You need to play as if one shot will take you out, so take risks only if have cover. I suggest working out a better keymap, so that crouching and iron-sights are fluid and natural for you. I always tend to keep iron-sights on SHIFT and crouch on ALT. You won't be moving much when you're aiming, and it's very close to WASD. I find that using the mouse to alt-aim in STALKER is pants. You should plant yourself, and shoot--move, plant yourself again, then shoot.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Strangely when I bring up the pistol iron sights it does nothing to make aiming easier. It seems to cover up the target if they are a certain distance away.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
IIRC crouching and looking down the sites does increase accuracy quite a bit. Might not help much with a crummy pistol though.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Originally posted by: Dorkenstein
Strangely when I bring up the pistol iron sights it does nothing to make aiming easier. It seems to cover up the target if they are a certain distance away.

It gets better as you get farther into the game. The "hidden" feature of SoC is that your accuracy increases as you stealthily "level up" throughout the game. Your stalker tag, be it "rookie" or "master" or whatever is kind of like a level meter.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I absolutely loved Clear Sky. However, since I played CS first, I couldn't much get into SoC. I played it a few minutes and was like F this S. :p

Oh, if you haven't patched your Clear Sky install yet, run to the very NW corner of the map. Follow the fence (look out for water) and find a break in the fence that lets you run farther NW until you're standing under the train trussel. A few meters north, there's a small incline up a hill around the back side of the train trussel. You should find a hole you can walk through. At the end of the tunnel, there's a little place someone's been living. If your game is pre-patch, there should be the ultra upgraded scanner anomaly-finder thingy laying there for you. Best scanner in the game. You're welcome. :p