Stage 4 cancer patient has hospital room tossed by police for THC pills

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Teehee

hEELcyy.png

in before homophobic remark about phelps.

The most decorated pot smoker in history. I hear he is a pretty good swimmer as well.

Reactions: Bardock
Mar 11, 2004
Welp they didn't call it Misery for nothing.

Yeah, Missouri is a weird state.

Its got all the latent malignant racism of the South, with the undue belief that they're some integral cog of American Industry that hasn't been true for like 100 goddamned years. It always made me chuckle how people from Missouri thought very highly of themselves (there's a ridiculous amount of them that are complete assholes and think they're better than people from anywhere else in the country) but they're becoming more and more irrelevant, but that seems to just make them more and more delusional. Hell, you can still immediately see how shittier it is when you just drive across state lines. In some parts their highways are practically Detroit streets with how shitty they are, and that's getting worse as they basically just put their money into a few major highways, so the others are languishing even more. The difference between the Missouri and Kansas sides of KC highlight it too.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Welp they didn't call it Misery for nothing.

Its got all the latent malignant racism of the South, with the undue belief that they're some integral cog of American Industry that hasn't been true for like 100 goddamned years. It always made me chuckle how people from Missouri thought very highly of themselves (there's a ridiculous amount of them that are complete assholes and think they're better than people from anywhere else in the country) but they're becoming more and more irrelevant, but that seems to just make them more and more delusional. Hell, you can still immediately see how shittier it is when you just drive across state lines. In some parts their highways are practically Detroit streets with how shitty they are, and that's getting worse as they basically just put their money into a few major highways, so the others are languishing even more. The difference between the Missouri and Kansas sides of KC highlight it too.
Apparently state law says that no tax can be raised or issued without the people voting on it. We have the lowest gas tax in the country and genuinely horrible roads to go along with it. They tried a slight gas tax raise for infrastructure last fall and it of course failed. Saint Louis is trying to revitalize itself, but no one wants to live here. I've had a few bosses tell me they can't get good talent here. I always swore I'd never move up here, but a job is a job.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Teehee

hEELcyy.png

in before homophobic remark about phelps.

I live in a rural conservative county in Oregon. Plenty of olds were up in arms about how legalization of weed was going to destroy Oregon and every state that legalizes it, eventually leading to the destruction of America. As a fellow old, I've heard it all from the old loudmouths here who can't keep an opinion to themselves. Now that it's legal? I wait in line with some of them at the weed shop. :D

I guess they decided to give in and contribute to the demise of America, one gram at a time.

Bardock

Mar 12, 2014
I lived in the drug war in VA my whole life.

Just moved out west (holds for applause)

Back home state delegate tried to get it on the table so he could try to start talking about a bill.

Some old and fat pounded the table and told stories of being in vietnam and the soldiers there were on drugs and then atrocities.

Egads devil plant, motion denied, new prison permits excepted!

He owns stock in phillip morris :)

Glad to be gone from that, its one dollar away from not being capitalism and just a statewide jail, like on escape from new york.

Bardock

Mar 12, 2014
And to all you red blooded Americans who want to criminalize drug use and possession and sale of any food or drug, you have more in common with Mao than Washington.

That was the communists first move in China, confiscate weapons and execute drug addicts.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Oh crap, it's a sign. My L/D count hit 420. Time to get stoned! Stoners are always looking for a good excuse to get stoned.

I come up with them all day. :D

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Oh crap, it's a sign. My L/D count hit 420. Time to get stoned! Stoners are always looking for a good excuse to get stoned.

I come up with them all day. :D
I'll be a free American citizen when I retire soon and get my debrief. What a joke FEDs!

Reactions: Bardock

Bardock

Mar 12, 2014
^ I will ash the blunt in your honor sir. It's a beautiful feeling. Police don't scare me anymore. Must be because other than speeding I am not breaking laws by being alive here. Hey drug hating control freak oligarchs, you're welcome to fall into my ashes at any time. Maybe let my friends out of prison on your way to the furnace?

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
I am so grateful for the brave men and women who risked everything to trash this person's hospital room. They probably saved his life by getting him away from the evil marijuana drugs and now he can get on something safe and wholesome like the opioids and enjoy a long, safe life filled with happiness. These cops must feel very brave and very proud and very helpful. If I were them I would love my job and keep doing it so I can help people.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I don’t have a problem with cancer patients using anything they want that will give them relief but this story doesn’t pass the smell test. Do THC oil capsules smell like marijuana? Who called 911 and said they smelled marijuana? Based on this WaPo article it sounds like it was staged. More power to them if they can make something change to get the mj law implemented. If it comes out that this was staged it will undermine their efforts. Florida is another state that passed a medical mj law and it’s still trying to figure out how to implement it.

My father died from lung cancer in 1992. If THC oil or mj would have given him relief I would have gotten for him.

A Facebook post from Thursday talked about the viral response.

“This is what I’ve worked for. It finally got here. Here we go fellow fighters. We goin viral. I’m gettin calls from weed companies, attorneys I am crying I’m so happy. I can quit workin so hard now,” it read.

The comment added, “I told you I was gonna do this and I did. I want the world to see how we treat our own people. Forget immigration we have criminals laying in the hospital I guess. I am so happy. Look what we’ve done. All of us together. Thank you all so much for caring and believing. Let it go. Let it grow.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...-after-someone-called/?utm_term=.a91bb84b3e89

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I am so grateful for the brave men and women who risked everything to trash this person's hospital room. They probably saved his life by getting him away from the evil marijuana drugs and now he can get on something safe and wholesome like the opioids and enjoy a long, safe life filled with happiness. These cops must feel very brave and very proud and very helpful. If I were them I would love my job and keep doing it so I can help people.

It appears that the cops had two basic options when responding to the 911 call. After getting the story on this guy they could have given him a warning and told him they would have to take action if it’s reported again or they could have done the search. I think they should have given him the warning. One thing is for sure, he or anyone in his room should not have been smoking anything - weed, cig or vape. Anything generating smoke could have a negative affect on other patients that were at risk with asthma, COPD, lung cancer, etc. If he was mobile he should have smoked it outside.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I live in a rural conservative county in Oregon. Plenty of olds were up in arms about how legalization of weed was going to destroy Oregon and every state that legalizes it, eventually leading to the destruction of America. As a fellow old, I've heard it all from the old loudmouths here who can't keep an opinion to themselves. Now that it's legal? I wait in line with some of them at the weed shop. :D

I guess they decided to give in and contribute to the demise of America, one gram at a time.

Old people have difficulty with change. Nothing new.

Jan 25, 2011
I don’t have a problem with cancer patients using anything they want that will give them relief but this story doesn’t pass the smell test. Do THC oil capsules smell like marijuana? Who called 911 and said they smelled marijuana? Based on this WaPo article it sounds like it was staged. More power to them if they can make something change to get the mj law implemented. If it comes out that this was staged it will undermine their efforts. Florida is another state that passed a medical mj law and it’s still trying to figure out how to implement it.

My father died from lung cancer in 1992. If THC oil or mj would have given him relief I would have gotten for him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...-after-someone-called/?utm_term=.a91bb84b3e89
RTFA.

In the OP. He told his doctors and nurses he was taking them. He is hospitalized. Ergo, they may be in his room because they aren't giving them to him he is taking them on his own.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Old people have difficulty with change. Nothing new.

That wasn't the point at all. Older Americans have been subjected to authoritative sounding fear based disinformation about cannabis their whole lives. Some of us figured out it was bullshit 50 years ago. For others, it took legalization for them to see the truth.

Cannabis has been legal in CO since Jan 1, 2013 & available w/o prescription since Jan1, 2014. We live in the heart of Denver not far from a major thoroughfare where there are at least 3 pot shops within easy walking distance. The neighborhood didn't change at all. It's like nothing happened. It's been intensely scrutinized from the start & guess what? Works fine. There's literally nothing else to see here except increased voluntary tax revenue, increased legal employment & a load taken off the legal system & the citizens.

Another nice thing about it is that people can grow their own in limited quantities. It's every old hippie's dream to grow their own & have nobody to fuck with them. Highly recommended.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
That wasn't the point at all. Older Americans have been subjected to authoritative sounding fear based disinformation about cannabis their whole lives. Some of us figured out it was bullshit 50 years ago. For others, it took legalization for them to see the truth.

Cannabis has been legal in CO since Jan 1, 2013 & available w/o prescription since Jan1, 2014. We live in the heart of Denver not far from a major thoroughfare where there are at least 3 pot shops within easy walking distance. The neighborhood didn't change at all. It's like nothing happened. It's been intensely scrutinized from the start & guess what? Works fine. There's literally nothing else to see here except increased voluntary tax revenue, increased legal employment & a load taken off the legal system & the citizens.

Another nice thing about it is that people can grow their own in limited quantities. It's every old hippie's dream to grow their own & have nobody to fuck with them. Highly recommended.
I noticed you said "increased legal employment" does this mean that there is no longer UA being done in private industry? I doubt it. Insurance industry has convinced employers that if the don't UA, they are operating in an unsafe manner.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I noticed you said "increased legal employment" does this mean that there is no longer UA being done in private industry? I doubt it. Insurance industry has convinced employers that if the don't UA, they are operating in an unsafe manner.
Oh there's apparently a big shortage of truck drivers. Might have something to do with commercial driver UA requirements.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

I meant people involved in the business of providing legal cannabis to the public.

The transportation industry is stuck with federal law & some others are still stuck on stupid.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
One thing is for sure, he or anyone in his room should not have been smoking anything - weed, cig or vape. Anything generating smoke could have a negative affect on other patients that were at risk with asthma, COPD, lung cancer, etc. If he was mobile he should have smoked it outside.

What are you talking about? This story is not about smoking or generating smoke; it is about pills. There is literally NO smoking that happened, so why did you mention smoking? It would be like mentioning "derp well he should not have been shooting at anyone because anything firing bullets could have a negative effect on other patients hur hur..." While both are true, he shouldn't smoke by patients and he shouldn't shoot guns near patients, none of those things happened so WFT?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
What are you talking about? This story is not about smoking or generating smoke; it is about pills.

I think that a lot of people don't realize that THC can be taken in pill form in controlled dosages like any other drug. It is often preferred for chemotherapy patients not because of the pain management, but because both chemotherapy and opioids both have appetite suppressing side effects which the THC helps counteract while also helping with the pain and nausea. Malnourishment is a major problem for chemotherapy patients, and THC has been shown to help tremendously with that.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
RTFA.

In the OP. He told his doctors and nurses he was taking them. He is hospitalized. Ergo, they may be in his room because they aren't giving them to him he is taking them on his own.

What are you talking about? This story is not about smoking or generating smoke; it is about pills. There is literally NO smoking that happened, so why did you mention smoking? It would be like mentioning "derp well he should not have been shooting at anyone because anything firing bullets could have a negative effect on other patients hur hur..." While both are true, he shouldn't smoke by patients and he shouldn't shoot guns near patients, none of those things happened so WFT?

Not sure what articles you are reading but the cops were called out for someone smoking weed in his room. They were searching for weed which they did not find and did not care about the THC oil capsules as far as I can tell from the articles.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...-called/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c4d61257b455
One of the officers said police had received a call that marijuana could be smelled in the hospital room in Bolivar, in western Missouri — where the substance is illegal, though medical marijuana will soon be available in the state. Sousley, who said he has Stage 4 pancreatic cancer, told the officers that he had taken THC oil pills in the parking lot of Citizens Memorial Hospital but that he did not have marijuana and he did not want them going through his things.

Another article.
http://bolivarmonews.com/news/pot-s...cle_d32a944a-41d3-11e9-a729-1fb55428491c.html

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Our hospital, like most I'm sure, reeks of weed when guest visit patients. Especially patient rooms. Does it mean the patient was smoking pot in their bathroom...

Of course not.

Everyone knows this... (except those who have an agenda)