Stable UV? Noob [Q]

alljokingaside

Jan 30, 2013
Hey,

I've undervolted my laptop (HP 3105m AMD E-350 1.6 gHz, dual core) by roughly .2 V w/o OCing (advanced BIOS is locked, boo)

P0= 1.35->1.1625
P1= 1.2-> 1.0125
P2= 1.1-> .8125

NB P0= .90->.8125
NB P1= .85->.75

(initial figures are estimates)

and am running Prime95 after experiencing a BSOD the other night. Cause is unknown, but occurred after I UV'ed this low (it was set a bit higher before). A blend test (2 threads, 8-4096K max FFT size, 3000 mb of RAM) has been running for 23 hours now and is still going strong. CPU at 100%, RAM usage, eyeballing, is around 80%) I'm hesitant to save to BIOS (via BrazosTweaker) though because I'm concerned that sometime in the future, that it won't have enough power to boot. Is this concern justified?

Haven't run Memtest86 since I don't have an extra USB atm and, from what I've read, I'd need that to boot up Memtest86. I'm guessing that the test is performed prior to boot and something like Daemon Tools Lite won't fit the bill. Although I expanded memory from 2GB to 2x2=4 GB, it's seemed stable since last year (when I installed the extra stick). Few BSOD, causes unknown.

Thanks in advance

Edit: Just read the sticky. Still, given the time tested and paramaters, can I be confident that my system is stable (ie I will be able to boot up consistently)?

Edit 2: The BSOD was attributed to "Stop 7F, 0x00000008 (double-fault) error occurs because of a single-bit error in the ESP register." I looked this up and what I got was that the BSOD was caused by a single-bit error in the ESP register, which....means....?

Last edited:

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
One thing the sticky does not do is test stability of CPUs moving through power states. One test you might want to do is have the machine idle and then just leave steam sat on the store front page. Its flash transitions cause large swings in clock speed for a moment regularly. You can also configure linx to do something similar.

You need to test the highest, lowest and all voltages in between.

alljokingaside

Jan 30, 2013
One thing the sticky does not do is test stability of CPUs moving through power states. One test you might want to do is have the machine idle and then just leave steam sat on the store front page. Its flash transitions cause large swings in clock speed for a moment regularly. You can also configure linx to do something similar.

You need to test the highest, lowest and all voltages in between.

Ok, thanks for the response. Glad to hear I'm not violating something or another. One thing though- I'll add that the argot's a bit above my head, though I generally have an idea of what's going on in my computer, just phrased in my own private language in my head-

what's "steam sat"? I googled it and came up with: saturated steam, 12.4 steam tables, and (a personal fav.) date- steam dreams.

Store front page is equally ? to me. I don't think you mean anandtech's homepage since a) it's not a store (at least I don't think it is) and b) I see things like Blackberry review and Intel SSD review.

Either way, thanks for the re:!