Question *STABLE* NVMe - USB Adapter?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cyberjedi

Apr 4, 2010
I'm looking to buy a *RELIABLE* NVME-USB external adapter, that doesn't disconnect randomly, can keep up the close to 1GB/s speed.
So far all adapter's reviews contain frighteningly high % of reports of malfunction, random disconnects, sub-par speeds, falling to even under USB 2.0 speeds, etc.
There are 3 main chipsets in the market: JMicron JMS583, Asmedia ASM2362, and Realtek RTL9210 (no product has surfaced with the latter yet, so no REAL reviews, experiences yet UPDATE: it is on the market already).
Also ASUS has a new product, ROG Strix Arion, but there isn't enough feedback about it yet, and I mean real life feedback not just being able to run a few benchmarks, but real stress test to see if the device (adapter) can keep it up, without disconnecting or slowing down hard.
I would really appreciate any feedback from those who have GOOD experiences during stress-tests, like tons of random 4k writes with a stable speed, cloning 100's of GB-s at a stable high speed close to 1GB/s.
I know SSD's very well, so please stick to the point and don't start to educate me on how their speed falls after some writes, etc. I'm aware and this is NOT the point.
You can help if you can point me to a STABLE and RELIABLE NVMe-USB-C adapter that WORKS as expected.
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Fernandez21

May 2, 2020
So I went ahead and got the Thunderbolt 3 enclosure, and so far everything is working fine with a WD SN750 Black, 2tb. I've got windows installed, performed updates, added all my families login accounts, and installed a bunch of apps. Speeds are around 2600 read and write. Enclosure gets a little warm, but so far I haven't noticed any throttling.

Only issue I had was Boot camp wasn't installing the drivers, it would go through the motions but non were actually installed. Had to do them one by one. Will update if issues arise.

TREBLEET Thunderbolt 3 SSD Enclosure,Thunderbolt3 to NVME M.2 2280 Hard Drive Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N67P39W/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_8vlWEbX1N7VTS
29b8b9a4760cc54c28ab1b776c2a4041.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Fernandez21

May 2, 2020
So I went ahead and got the Thunderbolt 3 enclosure, and so far everything is working fine with a WD SN750 Black, 2tb. I've got windows installed, performed updates, added all my families login accounts, and installed a bunch of apps. Speeds are around 2600 read and write. Enclosure gets a little warm, but so far I haven't noticed any throttling.

Only issue I had was Boot camp wasn't installing the drivers, it would go through the motions but non were actually installed. Had to do them one by one. Will update if issues arise.

TREBLEET Thunderbolt 3 SSD Enclosure,Thunderbolt3 to NVME M.2 2280 Hard Drive Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N67P39W/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_8vlWEbX1N7VTS
29b8b9a4760cc54c28ab1b776c2a4041.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
An update, this enclosure is working great, temps are high 40's, no throttling, and everything in Windows 10 is working fine, system even goes to sleep overnight and next day wakes up with a move of the mouse. You can't even tell it's an external enclosure, works just as good as the internal drive with MacOs.

Was a bit expensive, but highly recommend if you have an iMac and thunderbolt 3 connections.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Ryuken_allstar

May 24, 2020
Hi I'm back....
4 months my usage environment
ASM2362 the best stable.
RTL9210 sometime fault.

OH MY GOD!!! JEYI firmware fixed my Orico JMS583 ugly bug always run USB2.0 when connect Orico USB Hub 10Gbps.
Well done! Many Thanks!

IMG-20200412-032028.jpg
Bro, i tried this method on sabrent EC-NVME, now it works flawlessly, 1Gpbs stable. awesome!!

BrallyO

Feb 22, 2020
Saw this review today. Looks like someone in the review industry has finally noticed what we already knew.

JMicron JMS583 – Controller Version Matters For Portable USB Drives

I find it odd that he doesn't mention the existence of competing chips in any way. I don't think that's a coincidence. I think he doesn't want to piss off jmicron for fear of retaliation.

I took pictures of some of the chips in the jmicron adapters I tested. I'll have to go see if I still have those pictures and try to look at the revision IDs.

Reactions: Charlie22911

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
NVME-USB is still bleeding/leading edge and the JM583 part of the 1st gen growing pains. The note about firmware dealing with less quality USB-C cable is a good reminder to have a good short USB-C cable to verify bad cable issues.

However, it's probably just best to move on from 1st gen SOCs. Despite that I have yet to have any issues with my Pluggable JM583 based and will continue to use it but in less important roles like external drive for game console.

ppptech

Mar 29, 2020
Saw this review today. Looks like someone in the review industry has finally noticed what we already knew.

JMicron JMS583 – Controller Version Matters For Portable USB Drives

I find it odd that he doesn't mention the existence of competing chips in any way. I don't think that's a coincidence. I think he doesn't want to piss off jmicron for fear of retaliation.

I took pictures of some of the chips in the jmicron adapters I tested. I'll have to go see if I still have those pictures and try to look at the revision IDs.

Oh wow. Not sure what to think there.I wonder ifthe same goes for the earlier Asmedia chips?

Last edited:

ppptech

Mar 29, 2020
Sending back my Sabrent EC-NVME but checked the chip first for everyone's curiosity! It appears to be an A0.

Attachments

• 20200605_170040.jpg
    20200605_170040.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: fantom3l

White7561

Apr 17, 2020
Guys how do I check the rtl9210 firmware version? I decided to get the Asus rog one since my ugreen isn't that good. Idk if it's gonna be asmedia or realtek so yes. Asmedia I can check using the updater program. What about realtek? How do I check the firmware version? Thanks!

jlm70

Jun 8, 2020
Dear friends, suffered some bad problems and... thanks to this thread, probably I've understood my issue: JMicron, not Sabrent.

I bought a 2TB Sabrent Rocket (TLC chips) to migrate my MBP 2018 15" (whose batteries... inflated!! another story...) to a new 2019 16".
Both systems on latest Catalina 10.15.5 SP1.
I tried time machine to backup my old 2018 15" and (for a transfer of 430GB) it crashed more than 10 times before finishing the backup!!
Then the new 16" started the restore but was never been able to complete it.

I've even a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe and an 860 EVO SCSI: they both work with no problems (and I finished my mygration on the good old 860 EVO).
But I kept on trying the Sabrent with two different cases: Adwit and Orico (both 3.1 Gen2, with JMicron controller): impossible to have it working, both to read and write.
I tried Time Machine (panic/reboot), normal file copy (panic/reboot) and TeraCopy (panic but, wow, no reboot).
The IOSCSI timeout panic seems to happen 'cos at some time the drive decides to unmount.

I returned the Sabrent to Amazon and order an identical new one: same exact problems.

Now - before returning even this drive - I'll try buying an UGreen case, that has an ASM controller, crossing fingers...

cyberjedi

Apr 4, 2010
Dear friends, suffered some bad problems and... thanks to this thread, probably I've understood my issue: JMicron, not Sabrent.

I bought a 2TB Sabrent Rocket (TLC chips) to migrate my MBP 2018 15" (whose batteries... inflated!! another story...) to a new 2019 16".
Both systems on latest Catalina 10.15.5 SP1.
I tried time machine to backup my old 2018 15" and (for a transfer of 430GB) it crashed more than 10 times before finishing the backup!!
Then the new 16" started the restore but was never been able to complete it.

I've even a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe and an 860 EVO SCSI: they both work with no problems (and I finished my mygration on the good old 860 EVO).
But I kept on trying the Sabrent with two different cases: Adwit and Orico (both 3.1 Gen2, with JMicron controller): impossible to have it working, both to read and write.
I tried Time Machine (panic/reboot), normal file copy (panic/reboot) and TeraCopy (panic but, wow, no reboot).
The IOSCSI timeout panic seems to happen 'cos at some time the drive decides to unmount.

I returned the Sabrent to Amazon and order an identical new one: same exact problems.

Now - before returning even this drive - I'll try buying an UGreen case, that has an ASM controller, crossing fingers...
Dear Jlm70, it's a good idea you are trying another controller! Please keep us updated on your results!

Reactions: jlm70

eddieobscurant

Oct 19, 2015
Has anyonte tried an ssd above 2tb on any of these controllers? Is there a limit at 2tb? I sent a couple of mails to manufacturers and oems, but so far , no response

White7561

Apr 17, 2020
Got my ROG Strix Arion. and all i can say is. wow. the build quality is amazing coming from Ugreen NVME enclosure. its hefty . feels solid. also, they really do a good job of hiding what the chip is.

So i figured out what it uses. it is using ASMEDIA ASM236X ( Harddisk Sentinel can see it ) . i think 2362 since its 10gbps rather than 20gbps. the Asmedia firmware upgrade software detects it and the enclosure fw version is newer than what we have on stationdrivers etc. so either its much newer or its using a custom firmware.

Anyways its nice and all. no problems since i'm coming from Ugreen which uses the same chip. heat management is also very nice. especially in my home climate which it is hot lol. anyways. just let me know if you guys wanna know something about this enclosure.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
anyways. just let me know if you guys wanna know something about this enclosure.

Though it should. Does it support TRIM? You can find find out via Windows in the 'defragment and optimize drives' It'll detect it as an SSD and send TRIM commands.

White7561

Apr 17, 2020
Though it should. Does it support TRIM? You can find find out via Windows in the 'defragment and optimize drives' It'll detect it as an SSD and send TRIM commands.
yes it does. ASM2362 supports trim. the fw i got from Ugreen and ROG Strix enclosure is newer than on stationdriver . so both supports trim. confirmed by the defragment and optimize drive menu ( it says its an ssd and trim works ) also i tested retrim using powershell. and it works too. :D .

Jun 10, 2020
Orico TCM2-C3 mod: Note: the revision of JMS583 bridge was A0.

Updated firmware (JMS583, 152D) to 2.0.8. (only found the firmware from a third party source from a different manufacturer)
In addition I modified the JMMassProd.ini in order to keep the m.2 nvme cooler due to restrictions from transparent enclosure.
Here is the mod (previously the standby timer was set to 0, meaning no standby thus was burning hot)
StandbyTimer=5

(you will need to reflash if you did not make the change the first time)

Now I am happy however I would have been happier if Orico case was using a two side heatsink and double the thermal pads (+2 for reverse side)in order to dissipate heat better.

Last edited:

jlm70

Jun 8, 2020
Dear Jlm70, it's a good idea you are trying another controller! Please keep us updated on your results!

I confirm: received a couple of days ago the UGreen enclosure with AMS2362.
And, up to now, it perfectly works! Finally...
I'm returning the Orico/JMS583 enclosure 'cos - for this case - I think is impossible to upgrade the v.A0 firmware to v.A2.

(I did not change any other "parameter": same Mac, Sabrent NVMe, cable and software)

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
Are there any known enclosures with the A2 JMS583 controller? I have a hot air rework station and would like to transplant the eprom and chipset over to my sabrent board to use that enclosure. Should work fine since it’s a revision, pinout and all should be the same.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020
JLM70 said "I'm returning the Orico/JMS583 enclosure 'cos - for this case - I think is impossible to upgrade the v.A0 firmware to v.A2.".

Have the Orico nvme transparent enclosure.

I have found the JMicron 583 firmware, latest being 2.0.8 modified the config file to 5 mins standby and also removed overclocking (from 1.11.... to 1)and case now has a standby feature and runs a bit cooler especially when standby feature kicks in (can get disconnected (become cold) until you open the drive)

Not sure if firmware 2.0.8 upgrade makes Jmicron bridge hardware A0 same as A2.

Wish I had the metallic case. That would be much better (cooler) in terms of heat dissipation.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020
I confirm that upgrading to firmware 208 makes jms583 version A3.

I would think problem is resolved.

Used JEYI-i9 firmware will try later to post my config file.

Attachments

• CE8BB06F-4876-4639-B51F-C0A019CF8799.png
    CE8BB06F-4876-4639-B51F-C0A019CF8799.png
    172 KB · Views: 83
  • C899C2DB-00B0-4E83-A486-3D76CA111CA2.png
    C899C2DB-00B0-4E83-A486-3D76CA111CA2.png
    266.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020
runs really cool after the 5min when standby kicks in. Tested nvme usb enclosure on a i5 8th gen SS usb 3.1 gen 2 port PC that previously had issues with stability(original orico firmware) when overheated. With latest jms583 208 firmware with tweaked config prolonged overheating is resolved.

I would like to thank the firmware provider. Totally obliged.

For testing nvme, size was 2230 e.g. nvme Toshiba KBG30ZMS128G (latest stable firmware ADDA0105, earliest firmware should be updated) which I believe is also worst case scenario since heat is concentrated on one side of heatsink.

Happy now guys??
By the way I also have readyboost and trim function too.
Temperature 44 (standby) to 64oC (before it hits the 5 mins standby feature)
65 if I immediately wake it up from standby and let it run another 5 mins

JMMassProd.ini
[setting]
USBWritePerformance=0
USBReadPerformance=0
ShowRWPerf=1
WriteFileName=test.bin
ProductModel=JMS583
WRLoop=0
RWDataSize=100
EEPROMOnly=0
SupportODD=0
CheckMaxSn=0
MPVersion=1
MPSafeRemove=0
MPEEPROMToLog=0
PerfShift=1
MPPassLabel=1
MPAutorun=0
MPResetWait=30
MPSnAToZ=0
MPPortReset=0
EnBarcodeMode=0
EnKey0SafeRemove=0
EnEPPTypeC=0
EPPPowerGPIODelay=1000
EPPPowerOnDelay=30000
EPPPowerOffDelay=1000
SCSITimeout=30
[JMEXECUTE]
CapacityCustomize=0
Capacity=0
FreeSpace=3998735138816
FreeSpaceRange=0
EnFreeSpaceCheck=0
EnPartition=0
EnFormat=0
EnRWTest=0
EnEEPROMUpdate=1
EnFWUpdate=1
DiskFormat=0
DiskLabel=NVME
FwFileName=JMS583_0208.bin
FmtSecPerClus=-1
EnVenderCheck=0
EnUSB30Check=0
EnSWCopy=0
SwImgPath=
SwDstFolder=
EnFWCheck=0
EnFolderCompare=0
bAdvenceCompare=0
EnCloneProduct=0
EnUSB31Gen2Check=0
nPartitionTblFmt=0
[JMEEPROM]
TableType=3
MapToHDName=1
StrBFromHDSN=0
VenderID=152D
ProductID=0583
StringA=JMicron
StringB=USB to NVME Bridge
StringC=JMicron
String3=DD56419883892
StringAInc=0
StringBInc=0
String3Inc=1
FlashType=-1
StringMaxSn=0
EEPROMRetry=0
JMB509REU=0
JMB509WDHDD=0
StandbyTimer=5
JM539PWMode=0
ProductRevsion=0000
ODDSize=0
EnMultiSec=0
EnOver2TBMulLun=0
EnManuProdStrSourceCtl=1
EnInquiryStrSourceCtl=1
EnJMS561StandbyTime=1
EnSNfromHDDSN=0
BarcodeLength=16
[JMEEPROMVERIFY]
VenderID=152D
ProductID=0583
StringA=JMicron
StringB=USB to NVME Bridge
DiskName=JMS583
EnCheckDiskName=0
VolumeLabel=UsbDisk
EnCheckVolLabel=0
HDDFwRev=01.01V01
EnCheckHDDFwRev=0
[576PDswitch]
EnPD=0

Last edited:

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
Still no improvement for me with that update. Same issues on the same devices. Even trying to reformat it ends in a hang and error 153 in event log. A3 is going to be a hardware revision, I doubt there is much that can be done in firmware.

Jun 10, 2020
I had some issues as well due to Toshiba nvme m.2 2230 firmware. Had to find a pc with nvme slot to firmware update. Firmware was offered not by manufacturer but by Dell. Searched everywhere almost gave up.
Problem with the nvme usb drive is that it does not support firmware update of m.2 nvme card. Has to be connected on motherboard pcie m.2 nvme slot to perform firmware update.

Note when updating firmware of nvme usb drive you have to remove the nvme card because it can get corrupted.
.try reflashing nvme card., In case you think it will resolve your issue.

Last edited:

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
Mine is a Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, latest firmware. I’ve also tried with a Crucial P1 1TB, same issues. It’s really only the MSI laptop that’s having issues, and it’s not my daily driver so I’m not too upset yet.