Question *STABLE* NVMe - USB Adapter?

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cyberjedi

Apr 4, 2010
I'm looking to buy a *RELIABLE* NVME-USB external adapter, that doesn't disconnect randomly, can keep up the close to 1GB/s speed.
So far all adapter's reviews contain frighteningly high % of reports of malfunction, random disconnects, sub-par speeds, falling to even under USB 2.0 speeds, etc.
There are 3 main chipsets in the market: JMicron JMS583, Asmedia ASM2362, and Realtek RTL9210 (no product has surfaced with the latter yet, so no REAL reviews, experiences yet UPDATE: it is on the market already).
Also ASUS has a new product, ROG Strix Arion, but there isn't enough feedback about it yet, and I mean real life feedback not just being able to run a few benchmarks, but real stress test to see if the device (adapter) can keep it up, without disconnecting or slowing down hard.
I would really appreciate any feedback from those who have GOOD experiences during stress-tests, like tons of random 4k writes with a stable speed, cloning 100's of GB-s at a stable high speed close to 1GB/s.
I know SSD's very well, so please stick to the point and don't start to educate me on how their speed falls after some writes, etc. I'm aware and this is NOT the point.
You can help if you can point me to a STABLE and RELIABLE NVMe-USB-C adapter that WORKS as expected.
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Using two RTL9210B-based Sabrent EC-SNVE. ZFS was correcting errors ALMOST every time I ran a scrub. (If you're not into ZFS, scrubs result in high I/O.) SMART said the drives were good.

Re-flashed from 1.23 to 1.25.7 a week ago. No errors since then.

Drivers via for Sabrent EC-SNVE via https://www.sabrent.com/download/ec-snve/

I've got a cheap mSATA to USB adapter which throws errors intermittently, and I have the feeling it's because the drive is allowed to move inside the metal chassis (encouraged by manipulating the USB socket), and I think it throws errors when the drive touches the metal chassis. If I reorient it while leaving it connected it has righted itself.

nosurprises

Jan 4, 2021
Hi, just found this thread via google) I have Hagibis enclosure from Aliexpress, which has 2 slots for SATA and NVMe storage.
SATA disk (1Tb) works just fine and it appears to have a separate controller ASMT ASM225. Installed Crucial BX500, speed is not to max (circa 350 MB/s) but it is fine for me, since it was planned to be used for files storage only.

NVMe is powered by Realtek 9210B-CG controller and I put Samsung Evo Plus 512 GB in it. Trying to copy over 20 Gb files to that disk caused SSD disconnect (and reconnect sometimes). Otherwise it works fine. The first thought was that Samsung is getting too hot, and I opened up case and put USB vent directly on the chip. Does not work, so I believe it is not because of the overheat of hotty Samsung chips.

Then I found this thread)). My firmware was a bit newer, yet I flashed it with 1.25.7 version. The disconnect problem is still there)).

Any idea where else to look?)) Thanks
You can try even older firmware. I use 1.23.9, but my chip doesn't have "-CG" so it might brick. You can also try disabling power save modes.

kleinfelter

Oct 23, 2021
I started getting errors again, with RTL9210B in Sabrent enclosure. Today, I switched to the "SABRENT M.2 SSD [NGFF] to USB 3.0 / SATA" which uses a JMicron chip. What interesting about this one is that it adapts the m.2 to both USB *and* SATA.

It had even more errors via USB than the RTL9210B, but when I connected it to SATA instead, errors dropped to zero. At the moment, it really looks like a *USB* problem.

kleinfelter

Oct 23, 2021
It uses an eSATA connector or what? I thougth that was dead.
It is designed to convert an m.2 SATA into an *internal* SATA 2.5" drive, and it has a USB3 connector. I'm going to have to use it as an internal drive. After trying 3 different drive enclosures, I've spent enough on external storage. It's time to go back to internal, where the reliability is.

They sell a nearly identical adapter without the USB3. That's what I'd recommend, if you have an m.2 SATA drive you need to use.

Alpaca786

Oct 3, 2021
I think you do not really understand what SATA and M.2 really are. (You might have been mislead by marketing bs.)

M.2 and 2.5″ are the form factors (physical appearance), SATA is the interface, being the same for both form factors. There is zero difference between M.2 and 2.5″ SATA drives other than the form factor.

kleinfelter

Oct 23, 2021
M.2 and 2.5″ are the form factors (physical appearance), SATA is the interface, being the same for both form factors. There is zero difference between M.2 and 2.5″ SATA drives other than the form factor.

If you put an m.2 NVME drive in an adapter designed for an m.2 SATA drive, you might discover some difference.

If you have an m.2 SATA drive you'd like to use as an internal 2.5" SATA SSD, this might be useful. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07924J5NT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00? As Alpaca786 points out, it adapts the m.2 SATA form factor for use in a bay (and with cables) designed for a 2.5" SATA drive.

Of course, if you have unlimited funds, you could just buy a 2.5" SSD, but I can't afford to replace my 2 TB m.2 *SATA* drive.

Alpaca786

Oct 3, 2021
Ah well, I did not understand what you mean, it literally is an enclosure for M.2 SATA drives that converts it to 2.5″ SATA, plus it has an USB port.

If you put an m.2 NVME drive in an adapter designed for an m.2 SATA drive, you might discover some difference.
Sure, NVME is completely different transfer protocol that is used with PCIe as the interface. SATA uses AHCI as transfer protocol.

mikolaj612

Nov 10, 2021
I assumed it was not compatible either... so it is really perplexing how a 00.02.00.05 firmware was on mine. A few thoughts: maybe a custom firmware on mine? Maybe the firmware version was mis-labeled? This is way beyond my skills to figure out haha.
This is a link to the backup.bin file https://gofile.io/d/FBADfQ I'm not even sure if I backed it up correctly, but if someone is curious and wants to look at it, there you go :)

Hello, would you be so kindly to share your backup firmware for JMS580?
BTW which FW is the newest/best for JMS583? 0209 or there is something newer?

Jwilliams01207

Dec 6, 2013
finally got my RTL9210-based JEYI i9 GTR adapter from Aliexpress. This is the one with the USB-C female port. It took 2-3 months due to the virus outbreak.

I will do more testing in the next few days, but so far no problems. It's obviously running much cooler than my previous drives. I did a full badblocks check on my USB 3.1-based linux laptop and that was fine. I also tested on some of the USB ports on other computers that had given me problems with the JMicron drives and no problem there. I was able to boot from it twice.

Smartmontools/smartctl on linux doesn't appear to support this adapter yet, so I can't poll any info from it.

I will update again in a few days after more testing.

This post was copied and pasted from post #51 made on Apr 3, 2020. Please do not respond. We are working on the situation.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

peroko

Jun 8, 2021
finally got my RTL9210-based JEYI i9 GTR adapter from Aliexpress. This is the one with the USB-C female port. It took 2-3 months due to the virus outbreak.

I will do more testing in the next few days, but so far no problems. It's obviously running much cooler than my previous drives. I did a full badblocks check on my USB 3.1-based linux laptop and that was fine. I also tested on some of the USB ports on other computers that had given me problems with the JMicron drives and no problem there. I was able to boot from it twice.

Smartmontools/smartctl on linux doesn't appear to support this adapter yet, so I can't poll any info from it.

What version pcb do you have?

Cagatay

Nov 15, 2021
Hi every one, a few days ago I bought orico M2PVC3-g20 (asm2364)..But this box never working stable on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit :/ YEsterday box stop response :/ Can U help mi as2364 firmware file ? I cant find any where ? ORico support does not helping me for firmware file...

Cagatay

Nov 15, 2021
This is totaly mess...I send a mail to the orico for about my problem, I said I need a last firmware for this box they said we havent got a firmware for this..

What ??? How..?? I burn this enclouser on youtube...

Alexandre68

Oct 1, 2021

Of course it works on linux. You may have to add an option, or update your version of smartmontools to 7.2: https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/USB

By the way, after a first unsuccessful attempt with another RTL9210-based enclosure, I also went for this model that seems better cooled (thermal pads included). So far so good :)

EDIT: Stopped working after 2 weeks :disrelieved:

Last edited:

Cagatay

Nov 15, 2021
This is totaly mess...I send a mail to the orico for about my problem, I said I need a last firmware for this box they said we havent got a firmware for this..

What ??? How..?? I burn this enclouser on youtube...

I hate this brand absolutley hate...I cant find support anywhere...How they said "we havent got firmware"....if I cant find any solution today I burn this enclouser on youtube...

Last edited:

Baoshi

Nov 8, 2021
Hi all,
I have 2 JEYI I9-GTK enclosures. Just updated 1.27.24 firmware shared by @windowsjia above.
My problem now is that when I have both enclosures connected, windows will combine both disk under one "Safe eject" menu. I cannot eject any of them individually.
Have tried different serial number, different product name, etc but not helpful. I not sure what is the situation before update since I just got them.
Any insight information?
1637591308258.png

1637591336037.png

DevilSilver

Nov 28, 2021
Hello, I am French forgive me my English,
I have problems with my realtek RTL9210B hdd case, disconnect etc (firmware 1.23.5).
I would like to update it to 1.27.24, what are the parameters that I must use in the RTL9210B_CG_Lite? ?

Here is my dump:

Code:
Device : [Port3] : CT500P5S SD8 #0
U2PHY : 02 f4 9b e0 e1
U3PHY : 02 d4 09 00 d5 00 80
VID : 0x0bda
PID : 0x9210
MANUFACTURE : "Ugreen"
PRODUCT : "Ugreen Storage Device"
SERIAL : "01235000033B"
SCSI_PRODUCT : "n/a"
SCSI_VENDOR : "n/a"
CFEXPRESS : 0x01
LED : 0x01
PINMUX1 : 0x00000000
PINMUX2 : 0x00000000
U2_MAXPWR : 0xfa
U3_MAXPWR : 0x70
ASPMDIS : 0x00
PCIE_REFCLK : n/a
PCIE_PWRCUT_THRES : 0x0f
SWR_1_2V : n/a
EN_UPS : n/a
PD : n/a
CUSTOMIZED_LED : 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
SUSPEND_LED_OFF : n/a
FORCE_USB_SPEED : n/a
FORCE_PCIE_SPEED : n/a
FORCE_USB_QUIRK : 0x00000080
FORCE_PCIE_QUIRK : n/a
FAN : n/a
DIS_SHOW_EMPTY_DISK : 0x01
FORCE_SATA_NORMAL_DMA : 0x01
UART_DBG_PIN : 0x05
EFUSE :
       00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F
       -------------------------------------------------
   0   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  10   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  20   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  30   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  40   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  50   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  60   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  70   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  80   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  90   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  a0   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  b0   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff

Boot Mode : Flash NM
FW Ver : 1.23.5
FW Build Date : 2020.09.03
IC Ver : 0xa0010002
IC Pkg Type : PCIE_SATA
UUID : ffffffff-ffff-ffff-ffff-ffffffffffff

Disconn_ForceUSB2 : 0x00

salavat

Oct 29, 2021
Hello, I am French forgive me my English,
I have problems with my realtek RTL9210B hdd case, disconnect etc (firmware 1.23.5).
I would like to update it to 1.27.24, what are the parameters that I must use in the RTL9210B_CG_Lite? ?

Here is my dump:

I do not see any Realtek controllers (the firmware has 2 version of the controller) in the dump.