Stability on ubuntu is turn off the screen blanker ?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK, I have been fighting for months to figure out why my dual 5639 kept locking up, and so far the latest fix has worked, turn off the screen save, say "never" and now its been stable for 7 days ??? !!!!I&(&^(__*_(* arg....

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
My hat is off to you Mark for taking on Linux!

Although from what I have seen on my sons Win8 laptop - learning how to do things all over again should be as easy on Linux :)

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
OK, I have been fighting for months to figure out why my dual 5639 kept locking up, and so far the latest fix has worked, turn off the screen save, say "never" and now its been stable for 7 days ??? !!!!I&(&^(__*_(* arg....

Maybe your KVM switch is incompatible with the linux screen saver. I've been thinking of getting a KVM switch for quite some time now but stuff like this makes me think twice.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Maybe your KVM switch is incompatible with the linux screen saver. I've been thinking of getting a KVM switch for quite some time now but stuff like this makes me think twice.

Ahhh I thought of that first ! Put it on its own dedicated monitor, keyboard and mouse. No luck... But the screen saver off then worked !

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Ahhh I thought of that first ! Put it on its own dedicated monitor, keyboard and mouse. No luck... But the screen saver off then worked !

Maybe I will buy a KVM switch. I don't have a clue why the screensaver causes you problems. I'll do some searching early tomorrow morning though. Too tired now.

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001

I have a pile of KVM switches in my man cave. They are all the older PS2 style ones though, with the exception of one or two USB ones. I stopped using the USB one though because I had trouble with one of my computers recognizing it. Didn't feel like messing with it.

I haven't had the screen issue with the computer I'm running Ubuntu on.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005

I couldn't find any specific solution to this problem. If you want to stick with Ubuntu then your solution does seem to work. It might be a problem with Unity/Compiz and an Nvidia driver. I left Ubuntu because I hate the Unity interface.

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I couldn't find any specific solution to this problem. If you want to stick with Ubuntu then your solution does seem to work. It might be a problem with Unity/Compiz and an Nvidia driver. I left Ubuntu because I hate the Unity interface.

What flavor are you using? I despise the layout of Ubuntu, but I don't really ever do anything with it so I just kept it.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
linux mint version 16.

There are different window managers available. Cinnamon is the one I use but Mate is also good especially if you have minimal RAM.

http://www.linuxmint.com/

Last edited:

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I like that much better. Looks like windoze. I think that computer has 4gb in it. I'm going to have to switch when I get ambitious.

StitchExperimen

Feb 14, 2012
I wonder since this is a server board is in the BIOS under Power, if, Repost Video on S3 Resume, is disabled, or something similar.
Is the machine entering S3 when the screen blanks. Shuts down the DC program and video isn't restarted because of this BIOS setting on a server board or something similar.

Something for the new month to ponder

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I wonder since this is a server board is in the BIOS under Power, if, Repost Video on S3 Resume, is disabled, or something similar.
Is the machine entering S3 when the screen blanks. Shuts down the DC program and video isn't restarted because of this BIOS setting on a server board or something similar.

Something for the new month to ponder

Its an SR-2 board, not server, and overclocked. But that is an interesting question. Doesn't matter to me, since I leave the monitor off 24/7 unless something odd is going on.