mikeshn

Oct 9, 2001
Hello
I just have read the Pentium 4 1.7(GHz) review, and can't undestand the meaning of SSE2 code?
Does someone has an idea what the purpose of SSE2?
Thanks a lot

jchu14

Jul 5, 2001
SSE2 is an extra set of instruction that Intel implemented for the P4 to increase speed on multimedia applications. However, there are almost no software that utilizes SSE2 AFAIK. SSE is a more popular (still not as popular is Intel would have liked, only few professional apps and Quake3 use it) The new AthlonXP has SSE instructions but no SSE2. I think later versions of Photoshop would use SSE2 but not sure.

vss1980

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2000
Most new video editing programs will carry support for SSE2 - this is where one of its strengths lie.

There is no specific type of software that needs SSE2 or doesn't have the ability to make use of it in some way. It just relies on the software authors to implement it properly for the required purpose.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Intel scarificed the fpu in the p4 and use the sse2 coding to speed it up...Only a few progs use any right now...I believe photoshop has it in a few filters...

Nice article shows that even with sse2 optimization intel p4's will not realize a boost of 20 percent, which they need to be just to be matched evenly mhz to mhz with athlons. I believe article showed a 5-15 percent depending on prog... NOt the boost the marketing had many to believe.