SSD's and WinXP/Win7/Linux all in one desktop

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by Mars999, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Mars999

Mars999 Senior member

Jan 12, 2007

If I have my desktop and have Win7 on one SSD, WinXP on a second SSD, and Linux on a third SSD,

what happens to the other SSD's that are setup under Win7? Meaning what about WinXP trying to mess with the file format(alignment?) or Linux even?

What I am hoping for is I can run all three on separate drives, and boot into each OS, natively and have access the my 3 Win7 SSD drives if need be by Linux and WinXP....

2. postmortemIA

postmortemIA Diamond Member

Jul 11, 2006
    you won't have access to Linux partitions from the windows. Windows does not read ext4. use windows 7 formatting to properly align XP and Win 7 partitions. Win 7 should do trim to XP partition.
  3. Coup27

Coup27 Platinum Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Why do you need 3? You can quite easily tri-boot a system with a single SSD.

To do it your way you will have to change the boot order every time you wish to boot a different OS and if you use UEFI/GPT that won't work.

Regarding messing with alignment or anything, if you install one OS at a time and them remove the SSD, put in the next one and repeat the process then it won't mess with alignment or anything, but seriously one SSD for the 3 OS's and then storage SSD's would be a lot simpler.