SSD, WTF? new or used or w/e? (Newegg)

iLEktron

Apr 9, 2009
So basically I ordered a retail Intel X-25M 80GB G2 SSD from newegg. I got it today with the rest of my rig parts. However, when I reached down for the packaging, I saw that one of the sides was open. From that point I was concerned. But when I took everything out, it seemed Brand-New. The manuals, stickers, screws, and crap like that. Then I took out the SSD out of the antistatic bag, which had a sticker on it (Danger or w/e) looked new. So when I took it out and turned it backwards the metal plates on the back are scratched, at least 4-5 big scratches that you can easily see. The front where is says intel blah blah has no scratches what so ever.

So my question is whether this is normal or what? I mean the packaging looks very solid and everything. Plus the Seal which was on the other side of the unopened panel has the packaging date of 11/3/2009.

I'm waiting for my MoBo tomorrow, and I will put everything. Also I will post pictures.

Did i get a refurb or got ripped of by used/open box, even though I purchased a retail one.

Thanks for your support

Rig.
I7 920
Asus P6TD Deluxe
SSD X-25M 80GB
GTX 250
6GB DDR3 Corsair 1333MHZ
Noctua U12 Rev B
CM Scout Sniper
640GB WD Black
G11 Logitech

iLEktron

Apr 9, 2009
it has these smudges but on my drive there are scratches across the backplate. I'll post a pic tomorrow so you guys can determine. TY

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Two things to check that come to mind - before you write anything to the drive use CrystalDiskInfo and checkout the SMART values on the drive. They will indicate if the drive has been used much.

After saving your SMART screenshot, try and do a partition recover/file recover if you have undelete software that can do that sort of thing.

Obviously a result of nothing found doesn't mean the drive has never been used, but obviously if you do find files/partition structure on the drive then you have a red flag.

Regardless the conclusion the question you must answer is "do you care?". So what if someone had buyers remorse and returned the drive (RMA'ed it to newegg) claiming they never opened it (so newegg resold it as new) but they actually did open and use it for a few days? It is still under full warranty and its not like much can fail with these drives.

edit: free software here that will scan your drive (do it after checking the SMART values of course) and tell you if there is any old partition data:

http://www.restorer-ultimate.com/download.shtml

You only have to pay for the software should you want to recover the files, but it will do a full scan and show you the results for free.

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
You could always contact Newegg via their online chat and express your problem to them. Explain how unhappy you are to get something that you feel is not as they listed it to be. As long as the drive works fine and if you can live w/ the scratches and don't want to send it back, maybe you can get them to apply a discount on the drive.

iLEktron

Apr 9, 2009
Well I don't think I need to take pic of the actual drive since I'm pretty sure it's been used before I got it. Mainly because I did the SMART test and it showed me that the ssd has been running 57 hours while the 640WD 46 hours. Both of these drives were put into my rig at the same time, they have been running since I put them in. I purchased them both brand new. The times should be equal...

Here are the screens of both HDD and SSD.

ssd.png

640HD.png

Edit. Running the restorer-ultimate scan now, will post results in a sec.

Last edited:

iLEktron

Apr 9, 2009
DEFINITELY USED!!!!!!!!!!!!

I JUST FOUND OUT, there were like 10 partitions before I found mine, the last one.

PROOF!!!!!!!!

test.png

FUCKEN USED, I'm returning or I want a discount god damn newegg

test1.png

Not my pic, from a previous partition.!!!!!!!!!

iLEktron

Apr 9, 2009
This sucks, now I gotta do the whole RMA thing or if they refund some of the cost I might stick with it.

Last edited:

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
That sucks dude but at least you have confirmation.

I would definitely contact Newegg first and complain that you aren't happy they shipped you an open-box item when you paid for retail/new. See if they are willing to compensate you in some manner if you are willing to keep the drive. Maybe they'll give you a promo coupon for free shipping on some future purchase.

The question to ask yourself is does it really matter beyond the principle of the thing. There isn't much that the previous owner could have done to harm the SSD, it does have a few extra hours on it but the SSD is going to perform for you just as well as brand new one will/would.

Personally I'd be thinking about keeping it but making sure Newegg knows you know they shipped you an open-box SSD and that you are pissed off and are going to make sure everyone knows they did this unless they can come to some agreement to lower your net out-of-pocket price to a number that represents fair value for an open-box product.

Keep in mind you have no proof that you didn't make/delete those partitions yourself, etc. You know you didn't, hence the outrage, but Newegg has no proof you aren't lying and if they really wanted to stick to their guns they could treat it that way.

So be professional and courteous and remember not a single person at Newegg that you will be interacting with had anything to do with your SSD being an open-box. You want them to care, and they won't care if you do anything or say anything that makes them unhappy about the interaction they are having with you.

Voo

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2009
Keep in mind you have no proof that you didn't make/delete those partitions yourself, etc. You know you didn't, hence the outrage, but Newegg has no proof you aren't lying and if they really wanted to stick to their guns they could treat it that way.
I don't think Newegg would do that, but it is certainly a possibility (you can probably overwrite the Power-On-Hours Count with some tricks so that isn't any proof, right?)

And 47GB of host writes is more or less nothing - that's neglectable, so the drive is as good as new.

I'd try to go with some coupons and keep the drive - less hassle for you..

Last edited:

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Check your Newegg invoice and make sure you didn't purchase an "Open Box" SSD.

iLEktron

Apr 9, 2009
Well thank you for all your help, seems like this thread helped my case a lot. I contacted newegg provided them with the screenshots and link to this post. I fought my way through, at first offering to do an RMA, then they went to $20 off discount. I said, well that's hardly anything only 10% for a used SSD? They raised it up to $30, I was like WOW, 5% you REALLY GOT ME going. Yeah right...so I said 50$ or I issue RMA. They said OKAY without any problems. So thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread, especially Idontcare for all your help.

Just goes to show that you never know what your going to end up with. So fight for your rights. Thanks again.

NeweggSupport

Jun 29, 2005
Did i get a refurb or got ripped of by used/open box, even though I purchased a retail one.

Thanks for your support

Rig.
I7 920
Asus P6TD Deluxe
SSD X-25M 80GB
GTX 250
6GB DDR3 Corsair 1333MHZ
Noctua U12 Rev B
CM Scout Sniper
640GB WD Black
G11 Logitech

Dear iLEktron,

First and foremost, I apologize for this late reply. If you would like assistance, please contact Joshua at 800-390-1119 ext 25092 or joshua.l.key@newegg.com

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Well thank you for all your help, seems like this thread helped my case a lot. I contacted newegg provided them with the screenshots and link to this post. I fought my way through, at first offering to do an RMA, then they went to $20 off discount. I said, well that's hardly anything only 10% for a used SSD? They raised it up to $30, I was like WOW, 5% you REALLY GOT ME going. Yeah right...so I said 50$ or I issue RMA. They said OKAY without any problems. So thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread, especially Idontcare for all your help.

Just goes to show that you never know what your going to end up with. So fight for your rights. Thanks again.

This is why I buy just about everything thru Newegg, any business out there can make a mistake but not all of them care to see that the customer is happy and satisfied with the outcome.

Glad to see the matter was resolved to your liking. Good on you to be persistent but not greedy too.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
...The real question in the back of everyone's mind is:

Did they leave any cool stuff on the drive? :eek:

:p

iLEktron

Apr 9, 2009
...The real question in the back of everyone's mind is:

Did they leave any cool stuff on the drive? :eek:

:p

From what I see, they left a lot of pictures, around 5,000 easily. Looks to me like it was a company or something. Most of them are brand product items, clothing and such.

I will go through more stuff later, I don't have much time on my hands right now.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just package it up and send it back, no need to snoop around in data that you know isn't yours.

iLEktron

Apr 9, 2009
Just package it up and send it back, no need to snoop around in data that you know isn't yours.

If you would read the thread, you wouldn't say that. I already decided that they will refund my $50 and I get to keep my SSD, MINE=whatever is on the drive.

but yea i don't plan on doing anything with it. so dont worry

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Contact them, be calm and collected. Tell them your "new drive" was used, it has scratches, the seal on the bag was open, and it had deleted partitions from previous users.
There is a good chance they will just give you some money instead of doing an RMA, take that.