SSD Secure Erase Freeze Lock

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by WC Annihilus, Apr 1, 2010.

1. WC Annihilus

WC Annihilus Member

Is there any easy way to bypass the BIOS freeze lock to run secure erase besides hotplugging the drives? And if not, is there any reasonable alternative to secure erase? I just want to be able to clean and rebuild my RAID array without dealing with going into my case and fiddling in there. Motherboard is MSI P55-GD65 BIOS 1.6 set to IDE and drives are 3x Kingston X25-V's. I've tried both Parted Magic and hdparm in GPart. Both HDDErase 3.3 and 4.0 freeze on the screen past the agreements without showing any drives

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Secure Erase Freeze Forum Date
    Secure Erase SSD Doesn't Seem So Secure Memory and Storage Jul 28, 2016
    Bad to secure-erase a Samsung SM951 AHCI M.2 PCI-E SSD? Memory and Storage May 28, 2016
    Faster way of secure erasing an HDD? Memory and Storage Apr 2, 2016
    Want to secure erase my Intel 330 180GB SSD Memory and Storage Oct 29, 2015
    SSD doesn't show up after secure erase Memory and Storage Jul 26, 2015

3. razel

razel Golden Member

Check your BIOS and enable IDE mode or disable ACHI, remember to enable ACHI again after you're done. Otherwise, only way I got it done was to hot swap (plug and unplug) the drive just before executing hdparm.

However I did run into some situations where the after the secure-erase in hdparm, the drive did not reset the password back to blank. So make sure you remember the password.