SSD Periodic Freezing.

cnjmorris

Sep 18, 2004
I bought this drive from a hot deals post on this site a while back. I absolutely love the drive and even with this issue I have no regrets, but if there is a solution I'd love to know what it is.

The drive periodically freezes up on me for about 30 to 45 seconds, and then goes back to normal. During that time I can not alt-tab, ctrl-alt-delete, nothing. This is the particular drive (which I am happy to say I picked up for $60, not the current price).

Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB SATA III 2.5-Inch 6.0 Gb/s Solid State Drive SH103S3/120G
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

Smoove910

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2006
Do you have TRIM enabled? If so, that could be your problem... disable and see what happens

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Do you have the most recent firmware installed for the drive? If not, you may need to update it (which will wipe the drive, so do a backup first).

You might also want to check your Windows system log for warnings or errors at the time of the freezes -- just because the problem is most likely related to the SSD doesn't mean that there couldn't be some other totally separate issue involved....

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I had that problem with a SandForce 2nd-gen controller in a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB SSD that I had in an Acer Aspire One 722 Netbook with C-60.

I later removed the SSD, had it in a desktop system for a month, then took it out, then when I tried to re-use it, it died completely during an NTFS full format.

I would RMA it personally. It shouldn't be doing that.

cnjmorris

Sep 18, 2004
My apologies, I didn't know marking hot deals as read would do the same here and I never saw that there were replies.

I don't know how to enable/disable TRIM, could you point me in the direction of where I could view settings?

I do have the most recent firmware. I will also watch the event viewer next few times.

Thank you for the input guys.

Last edited: