SSD (OCZ Vertex 2) is suddenly not being detected. Boot Device Failure..can't load OS

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Voo

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2009
The FACT is that SpecTek is a "lesser" brand than Micron. Why else would they have created the brand, to sell off their "factory seconds"?

I mean, if the memory is TRULY the same, then why go to the expense of having two separate brands? Answer - they are NOT truly the same.
Well first of all so far there have been NO kind of any problems with either flash, so your whole theory is based on.. well imagination. There have been numerous tests to stress SSDs and so far the spektek flash hasn't shown any special dispositions. So I assume your whole theory is based on marketing and "Well if it costs more it must be better!". In reality it's nothing special to use different brands to sell basically the same product - actually that's marketing 101.

Each and every problem with SSDs that was posted so far on this forum was caused by the firmware - if you dispute that fact I'm sure you'll be able to find a few threads where the problem was the flash, after all they're selling so much of this low quality stuff there should be plenty abound.

You obviously have no idea how IC testing works, so I'll just quote Mark (less work for me and we get another trusted source, now isn't that nice?):

Mark R said:
Not only that, but SpekTec flash is more intensely tested than Intel's own name-brand stuff. That is spektec's business, sophisticated testing and binning of ICs. They are able to buy in dies and test them, when the OEMs don't want to spend the money on testing.

Intel selects its flash based on minimal testing and statistics. They choose a few dies to test thoroughly, and if they all pass, they don't bother fully testing the rest of the batch (the chips just get a quick check). They assume that if 10% of the chips are A1-prime quality, then the other 90% are.

SpekTec buys batches where the sampling has shown that some chips might be flaky. They then test every single die thoroughly, and carefully grade each individual die. The SpekTec chips that have been showing up on OCZ drives are those that have been tested to 'enhanced' specifications (i.e. tested to a higher level than the OEM used for testing).

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
guys, lets try to keep this on topic. We should really be trying to help Russian, not pointing fingers and arguing.

Voo

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2009
guys, lets try to keep this on topic. We should really be trying to help Russian, not pointing fingers and arguing.
You did notice that the original problems are 3months old and Russian has long since RMAd the drive (and hopefully with some new fw fixes didn't have the problem again)? ;)

r2arthur

Oct 12, 2011
I have exactly the same problem of the Russian guy: It frozen while coming back from a sleep. I have a very similar motherboard (same P67d3b3), 2600k here.

Well, Looks like its a known issue. I tried to wait for 24 hours and then re-try and nothing happened. My SSD is invisible for the bios and I noticed that, while its plugged the bios screens take a longer time to appear and jump to the next step (OS verification). While its unplugged (only using a hdd) this process is faster.

I could not understand what this RMA process is. Its a re-flash the firmwire or request a new product?

Best,
/Arthur

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I have exactly the same problem of the Russian guy: It frozen while coming back from a sleep. I have a very similar motherboard (same P67d3b3), 2600k here.

Well, Looks like its a known issue. I tried to wait for 24 hours and then re-try and nothing happened. My SSD is invisible for the bios and I noticed that, while its plugged the bios screens take a longer time to appear and jump to the next step (OS verification). While its unplugged (only using a hdd) this process is faster.

I could not understand what this RMA process is. Its a re-flash the firmwire or request a new product?

Best,
/Arthur

If it's anything like my drives. Your data's gone. They'll likely reflash and return it.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002

Best,
/Arthur

What color LEDs is it showing ? If it is red + green, then it is hosed, and you need to RMA it. For what it is worth, they sent out a new unit last time I had this happen, and I did not request for a new unit, they just shipped it via fedex from Taiwan.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Dell Precision M4400 laptop, 90GB OCZ Vertex 2, suddenly not recognized after a few months of operation. Had one blip a week or two ago where it wouldn't login to Windows (it would bootup, but freeze or something after that), then it went back to normal - now dead.

I have had terrible experiences with OCZ so far. I've had a good 4 of them fail at work so far. I switched to OWC (MacSales.com) SSD's a couple months ago and haven't had a problem (aside from DOA, which get returned quickly). Bleh, OCZ.

groberts101

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
just give the OWC drives enough time.. they too will probably/eventually act up when used on that same hardware/bios as well.

Not wishing bad on you at all here.. just saying that moving to another mfgr using almost identical hardware with much of the same firmware code(Sandforce designs this.. NOT the mfgr soldering on their chips) will inevitably lead you down similar paths. I've seen more than a few run around buying Sandforce drives form various mfgrs only to finally realize.. they are essentially the same hardware.. with the same exact conflicts. Good luck with that drive though.

PS.. Wouldn't be killing power to that controller during sleeps though if I were you.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Only green led.

Well, crap.
My unit was doing green + red LED panic lockups yesterday, and now, I get the lone green LED, and it can't be seen by BIOS.

In short, it is dead.

RMA it.

3rd time is the charm, right ?

BTW, I never had my system go into sleep mode, or hibernate, or even spin down the HDs. This is a different issue, and I have no idea how I can determine the root cause.
I just noticed my SSD life went from 94% down to 88% in the span of a few hours, and raw errors rates went through the roof.

Last edited:

D1m3b4g

Nov 1, 2012
A friend of mine built a brand new system on Gigabyte P67A-UD3R, 2500k, OCZ Vertex 2, Windows 7 Home Premium edition (everything is running stock). Everything worked fine for 2 months.

Recently upon trying to get back into Windows from Sleep/Hibernate mode, nothing happened. He proceeded to restart the computer and was faced with "Loading Operating System...." black screen, followed by Boot Device Failure Error.

Funny you should write this, even though I appreciate it was a while ago the exact same thing happened to me two weeks ago.

The system came out of standby, the OS login screen appeared but nothing would respond. The mouse moved for all of 10 seconds until the entire thing locked up.

On reboot the same thing happened, the BIOS knew something was at the end of the cable but wouldn't detect a thing. Instant RMA on the drive, nothing would fix it, it just literally died on the spot.

They've sent me a new drive now and I reinstalled Windows 7 today, so far so good but I'm a bit shakey about the fact I have 4 vertex 2e drives and this seems entirely possible to happen to any of them, at any time!

Paul

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
A friend of mine built a brand new system on Gigabyte P67A-UD3R, 2500k, OCZ Vertex 2, Windows 7 Home Premium edition (everything is running stock). Everything worked fine for 2 months.

Recently upon trying to get back into Windows from Sleep/Hibernate mode, nothing happened. He proceeded to restart the computer and was faced with "Loading Operating System...." black screen, followed by Boot Device Failure Error.

What we have done thus far:

1) Reset the BIOS, loaded optimized defaults.
2) Tried IDE and AHCI settings in BIOS.
3) Reconnected the power and data cables for the SSD and to the motherboard.
4) Tried SATA 2 and SATA 3 ports on the motherboard.

The motherboard simply won't re-detect the SSD listing Boot Device Failure upon post.

The SSD power light is still on; so that it is getting proper power. The SSD is not detected in the BIOS either under Hard Disk Boot Priority Devices.

Has the SSD failed? What should our next troubleshooting steps be?

SSDs dont just fail and die, they slowly die. So you keep a eye on it with CrystalDiskInfo ....

Your saying yours isnt being recognized. Are you sure you cant do a power cycle and fix it ? That vertex 2 has a horrible sanforce controller or is it marvell,, either way I think your controller died,, rather your SSD.

Did you use any HD tools to see health as of late before it dissapeared ???

get back to us D:

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
In my experience ssd's just die without any warning - NO WARNING AT ALL. Not even a smart message prior to the two deaths I've experienced.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
In my experience ssd's just die without any warning - NO WARNING AT ALL. Not even a smart message prior to the two deaths I've experienced.

Well That is what Crucial tech support said about their SSDs You can do power cycle with 010G.

Not being recognized means you used it up.

The Vertex 2 has horrible controller on it. That died. Can you RMA or it's to late. gl :whiste:

ojutan

Nov 15, 2012
hi I killed my vertex 2 240 GB (or it did it by itself) just by installing windows xp. I woundered why it can't copy regedit.exe, did it again (format, install), got stuck at regedit.exe then thought about flashing that thing. But it didn't survive the 3rd reboot of the machine, the OCZ linux based CD didn't find the drive.

My question - the old ones had a jumper for "cold flash" it, but in the vertex 2 series there's nothing except 4 copper stripes. I think the right 2 have to be short-circuited to enable the cold flash mode... is there anything else than RMA that thing?

It's kinda depressing to have it.... fresh from the shelf, unpacked, installed, put XP CD into drive, and this damned regedit.exe borked obviously the Sandforce controller.

ojutan

Nov 15, 2012
sorry.... a miracle happened. It reappeared in the bios and now Firmware 1.37 is on it.
The OCZ guys said "retry in 2 hours then update"

j03h4gLund

Nov 8, 2010
AT gotta get paid..
This... however - I bought OCZ RAM in 2005. One of two sticks came DOA. In 2010 I RMA'd it with no hassle - they honored their lifetime warranty for ram and literally asked 0 questions. Sent in 2GB of ram (1 stick was DOA) and they sent me 4GB back quick. Say what you will about OCZ, I have mixed feelings. They are a bold company that takes risks, you all should know this by now.

One thing is for sure though, OCZ drives the prices down which is a good thing for you and me.

v0 HaVoK 0v

Jun 19, 2011
Hey guys I know this is a bit late but I wanted to share this with everyone who has this problem, so hopefully I can help others with this. Actually I just made my account here because I just got my ocz agility 3 ssd working out of this exact state, no files lost, and I thought I'd post how, because I understand how much of a pain this can be.
First of I remove all the power cables and removed the cmos battery from there motherboard.
Then I set the cmos jumper to clear, and I switched on with the ssd removed to make sure that it was cleared.
So then I switched off my pc, put the ssd back in and powered on, the ssd have the red light and was still not being detected, so I cleared the cmos on more time with the ssd out, and put jumper back, this time I booted into the bios before connecting the ssd, then I went to my motherboards storage mode settings and switched it to raid mode, then connect the ssd by the sata power first, then the other cables. My red light didn't come on but when I tried to boot windows it failed so I went back into the bios I set storage mode back to ide, then light stayed green and windows booted fine with no lose of data.

I hope this works for others, I'm so happy I got mine working and hope you can get yours working to.

Kashinoda

Oct 31, 2015
It's almost 2016 but in case anyone still has this problem I found a rather easy way to fix it.

The drive in question suddenly stopped working on my mums laptop, wouldn't work in my PC either when trying all the fixes posted here.

However it would work as a USB hard drive, I used used a SATA to USB adapter... then used OCZ's Windows tool to update the firmware in no time at all.

Working fine now.

LukeVeyron

Oct 31, 2015
It's almost 2016 but in case anyone still has this problem I found a rather easy way to fix it.<br />
<br />
The drive in question suddenly stopped working on my mums laptop, wouldn't work in my PC either when trying all the fixes posted here.<br />
<br />
However it would work as a USB hard drive, I used used a SATA to USB adapter... then used OCZ's Windows tool to update the firmware in no time at all.<br />
<br />
Working fine now.
<br />

Having the same problem here... just after updating to a new SSD and trying to use it with a USB Adapter.

The first time I use it as USB HDD it showed like unpartitioned drive.

So I connected as SATA drive again in the laptop and become frozen (no BIOS detection at all)

I would be very pleased to know how to solve it!

Thank you very much