Question SSD NVMe flash types

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'm looking to upgrade my SSD boot/storage. I currently have a WE Green SSD 240GB. My motherboard (ASRock z390 Phantom Gaming 4) supports M.2 with 2 M.2 ports...one currently holds a HP EX950 1TB. (apparently 3D-TLC NAND)
I'd like to add a 2TB drive into the second port. I'm getting (probably needlessly) hung up on the NAND types; TLC, QLC, 3D-QLC, V-NAND, etc. I know that V-NAND is Samsung's version of 3D-NAND, and I (sort of) understand the difference between TLC and QLC, (bits per cell) but that's about it. I want fast, but also want reliability. Far too many I see on NewEgg or Amazon have terrible reviews, mainly about warranty issues when one fails. (SKHynix seems to have the most problems) The review sites are all over the place. Site A says, "Product X is the best we've ever tested." but Site B says " Product X is one of the worst in its price range. Better to get Product Y," which Site C says is crappy. Seems like the reviews are being written by manufacturers, pushing their product over the others.
Unfortunately, I don't have an unlimited budget, and would prefer to stay around $150, but could stretch it to about $200 if the extra cost was justified.

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: And, does the difference in NAND types really matter for a home user? Gaming, surfing, light MS Office work, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hotrod2go

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Tech, your comments on the heat issues are pretty much what I figured. I AM NOT a power user who would be burning through the reads/writes. I just don't know if paying a bit extra for a (hopefully better quality) Gen4 x4 drive from one of the "big boys" would be worth the extra cost ($25-35/2TB) over buying a Gen3 x4 drive from Team group or SK Hynix. If nothing else, the drive software packages from Samsung and WD look much more...polished than some of the others...IF they even offer it. I bought an HP EX950 1TB drive 3 years ago. Nice drive...fast as hell, but zero software for it.
The numerous reviews that have said things like, "My drive died after the Amazon return period expired. I contacted Hynix, they said they don't deal with end users. Return it to the seller... but Amazon said they won't let me return it because the window closed."
THAT is somewhat concerning to me.

I got, I was about to buy one of the Team group drives before the Prime Day sale. I held off to see what kinds of deals were available.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Well the SN770 would be your best bet for now and future when you upgrade to gen4 or use a PCI adapter in a slot for the higher speeds. I haven't found anything of question with it yet. The performance is there in my testing at least. It's not a top tier but it's no slouch either.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

NewMaxx

Aug 11, 2007
I've been avoiding SK Hynix because of all the reviews I've seen that say (to the effect) that if you have a problem, Hynix refers you to the seller...who, after their normal return period, says to contact the manufacturer...who tells you to contact the seller........

Oh, and the P41, which I actually like, is reputed to be a real cooker...possibly requiring a good heatsink. (seems like if it gets THAT hot, the manufacturer should provide one)

I have a list of Prime Day sales/deals for SSDs on my subreddit if you're looking. I just added two more. At 2TB for Gen4, yes the P41 is sold out now, the next best is the WD SN850, then ADATA Premium, Samsung 980 Pro, and Crucial P5 Plus, all between $179.99 and $189.99 (2TB 980 Pro is $184.99 on Newegg). Gold P31 for $159.19 is the best Gen3, and yes I know you have some of these above and you have feelings about Hynix, but there you go.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Well the SN770 would be your best bet for now and future when you upgrade to gen4 or use a PCI adapter in a slot for the higher speeds. I haven't found anything of question with it yet. The performance is there in my testing at least. It's not a top tier but it's no slouch either.

I spent a bit more than I was hoping...but ordered the SN770. Should be here Saturday.

Thanks for your input everyone.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
The Samsung 980 Pro is $184 at Newegg with the code posted... Not sure how much longer it will be available.
I just posted Amazon links. I'm not a fan of Newegg any longer, although I found my ram there a year ago. It was during the parts shortage period and I wanted to finish my build once I got my CPU.

Edit: Yikes! I paid $350 for that 980 Pro. Wow. Almost half price now.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I just posted Amazon links. I'm not a fan of Newegg any longer, although I found my ram there a year ago. It was during the parts shortage period and I wanted to finish my build once I got my CPU.

Edit: Yikes! I paid $350 for that 980 Pro. Wow. Almost half price now.

Yeah, I almost never do biz with the egg any more. Since they became 100% Chinese owned, they've gone to hell. I MIGHT send them business...for a screaming good deal, but it has to be a GREAT deal.