SSD not showing up in BIOS or disk management but connects fine via USB to sata cable

Phallacy

Dec 12, 2013
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased the Toshiba Q series pro 128 gb ssd as a secondary storage for my PC. When I plugged in the Sata 3 cable to my mobo and power cable my computer won't recognize the drive anywhere. I even tried a different sata 3 port for the motherboard. Then I used a USB to SATA cable that came with my primary boot SSD a samsung 840 evo and the toshiba is recognized immediately and I was able to format it. I tried moving it back inside the case after this but it still doesn't recognize. My thinking is the sata cable might be bad so I will know later this evening when I can pick up a new one. Anyone have ideas on what might be the issue in the meantime? Thanks in advance!

My setup:

Primary SSD Samsung 840 evo 120gb
Storage HDD WD 1 tb 7200 rpm drive
Mobo: ASrock z77 extreme 4
CPU: Intel i5 3570k
GPU: r9 290x
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb 1600 mhz

New SSD that is having problems: Toshiba Q Series pro 128gb

Hellhammer

AnandTech Emeritus
Apr 25, 2011
Given that the other drives work fine and the drive shows up normally through USB, it must be either the SATA data or power cable.

Phallacy

Dec 12, 2013
Given that the other drives work fine and the drive shows up normally through USB, it must be either the SATA data or power cable.

Thank you will know for sure when I pick up a new one after work.

Are there not SSD drives that only do 6Gbs ?
Maybe that is the problem ?

Yes this is a SATA 3 SSD and I connected it to a SATA 3 port on my mobo, same type of port that my samsung is connected to.