SSD keeps disconnecting

Temuka

Dec 27, 2014
Hi all,my ssd sometimes keeps disconnecting in bios (windows freezes during browsing with blue screen) Reconnecting sata cable makes it appear in windows boot devices every time with no problem.SSD health is on 99% and the model is crucial mx100.... Maybe I'm mistaken, but this happens when temp outside is high,but during this periods I use conditioner at home,so... What could be the problem ? SSD itself or should I change sata cable or anything else ? Thanks in advance

Temuka

Dec 27, 2014
You can check the temps in your system with this utility (HW_Monitor):
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor-pro.html

I normally just download the zip file.

If you have a spare SATA cable it's a simple enough thing to try.

I checked with that utility and also with aida64 and everything is between 25-35 degrees (gpu is 45)
The only thing I don't understand in CPUID utility is that it shows 95 degrees on TMPIN8 and on all others betwwen 25 and 35...

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I checked with that utility and also with aida64 and everything is between 25-35 degrees (gpu is 45)
The only thing I don't understand in CPUID utility is that it shows 95 degrees on TMPIN8 and on all others betwwen 25 and 35...

It's common to get a piece of software reporting one sensor as way off in that way. I think I have one that reports -128C :)
Amongst the temperature readings you'll have some internal ones for your processor, how do those look?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
At this point, like you mentioned in your OP, try a different SATA cable.

I know I recently had one that didn't register because the connection to the motherboard got slightly moved when I was adding a new fan (it was still inserted all the way, just slightly "lopsided").

Temuka

Dec 27, 2014
It's common to get a piece of software reporting one sensor as way off in that way. I think I have one that reports -128C :)
Amongst the temperature readings you'll have some internal ones for your processor, how do those look?

They are all something between 30-35

Temuka

Dec 27, 2014
At this point, like you mentioned in your OP, try a different SATA cable.

I know I recently had one that didn't register because the connection to the motherboard got slightly moved when I was adding a new fan (it was still inserted all the way, just slightly "lopsided").
Ok,sure,I'll try that,will monitor and post here if something will change.Thanks everyone for efforts.

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
I had fun with a miserable SSD recently.

For work, I had a computer come in that I ordered from Amazon (OEM machine with OS pre-installed) whereby upon first logging in and starting up Windows Updates, it froze up or something. I didn't know what happened, exactly... except that the black screen when I noticed a problem, showed as if it was trying to boot up and there was no bootable drive installed. I assumed a bsod, but had no idea, exactly.

I fought with this machine for a few days where it seemed like it worked, and I'd install various programs, etc, but then when I had my back turned, it crashed or something and would be sitting on the no bootable device screen. I never saw the crash, never saw a blue screen, but I saw that there was an obvious problem, and I saw the resulting symptom of that problem probably a dozen times (the no bootable device screen) and eventually, I replaced cables, etc with no success.

At one point, I even tried powering the SSD from an entirely different computer's power supply all Frankenstein style with two machines sitting side-by-side, and it still would crash or whatever it was doing.

Finally, I just bit for bit copied the SSD the computer came with to a new SSD (thankfully it didn't crash in that time window) and I've never had a problem with the machine since with it running on the new SSD. The 240GB SSD wore a green wrap that said "inland professional SSD" and it had read/write speeds and a few other misc infos.

I really needed a rig up and running for someone to use like *now*, so I didn't really have a "send it back" kind of option. Anyway, this SSD just sits to the side now. Maybe one of the stranger things I've seen in recent times with hardware.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I was going to mention the "1000 hours" bug, and the firmware update, but ... I think that was for the older Crucial M4 drives? I don't recall if it affected the MX100 drives. Something to research, anyways.

OP, consider updating the firmware on the drive, if applicable. Backup the contents first. (Ideally, copy everything off of it, Secure Erase, update the firmware, Secure Erase again, and then re-install things, and restore your files from the backup.)

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
The MX100 drives did have that exact bug. I can confirm it because i had the same 256GB MX100 drive as you and it would freeze, crash, and then completely vanish from the bios. I had to plug it into another sata port to make it work. A LOT of people had this issue and Crucial supposedly fixed it with the newest firmware but i didn't wait for it. My friend had the same drive and the same problem so we both bought Samsung drives and i've never had an issue since.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The MX100 drives did have that exact bug. I can confirm it because i had the same 256GB MX100 drive as you and it would freeze, crash, and then completely vanish from the bios. I had to plug it into another sata port to make it work. A LOT of people had this issue and Crucial supposedly fixed it with the newest firmware but i didn't wait for it. My friend had the same drive and the same problem so we both bought Samsung drives and i've never had an issue since.
Interesting. So do you think that this could be the 1000 hours bug, or just a semi-defective drive?

Temuka

Dec 27, 2014
OK so I installed latest firmware for my ssd,it's called MU03 version. Before I had 3 year old MU01 version,let's see if this will improve situation,I just don't have another sata cable laying around so I will wait and see if update will resolve the problem :)

Reactions: daveybrat

Glory499

Dec 3, 2020
OK so I installed latest firmware for my ssd,it's called MU03 version. Before I had 3 year old MU01 version,let's see if this will improve situation,I just don't have another sata cable laying around so I will wait and see if update will resolve the problem :)
Hello, I am having the exact same problem you were having with your SSD, and I was wondering if the matter was resolved. If so, can you kindly explain how you fixed the issue?
Thanks in advance!