SSD is showing more space than I am using

count5by5

Sep 25, 2009
My intel ssd 160gb is showing 11gb free and 148gb used. I'm not using no more that 40gb.I don't know what could be using all that space. Could someone help me with this problem. OS win7pro.12gb memory, 1tb HD, and I think the 1tb HD is showing more too. Thank You

count5by5

Sep 25, 2009
Thanks guys , now that I have treesize, I don't know what to get rid of. I see a lot of log files, temp files,and doc files. Is there any place I can find out what to get rid of. Thank you again

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
What you are describing is normal Windows overhead, especially if you surf the Internet a lot. Why not leave it alone? Those things come and go. If you delete all the temp files, browsing might be slower until they are rebuilt. Same for log files. Doc files could be backups of your own creations.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It sounds like you should simply use the 'Free up disk space' in your control panel. There's really not much danger unless you select 'Clean up system files' within the first one. If you've never done this before, you probably have years worth of temporary files in there.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Had that problem about 6 months ago on my file server. Rarely directly used the box as it's just there to serve up files to the network. Win7 x64 Ulitmate. 128GB Samsung 840 for the boot drive. One day I could no longer do updates. Was at 110GB out of 111GB available. Tried all the tricks described in this thread. No avail. A fresh install returned things to normal. Currently @ 38GB out of 111GB available. Much better. If this is normal Windows behavior then it's not good. I've got about 10% set aside for provisioning. I don't know what Windows filled up that space with, but I couldn't delete enough to free up any space. Like I said, a fresh installed fixed my problems.

May 11, 2008
Try to go to the properties of your ssd, and use disk clean up.
After that, go to the extra tab and press optimize for the ssd drive.
After the update to windows 10 1607, i got to free up around 15 GB of temporary files.

Also, make sure that the trim command is working. It should be working out of the box with windows 10.
If it does not, then there may be a software driver issue.
It could be that the ssd for some reason marks flash blocks as occupied while they are no longer in use.
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-ensure-trim-enabled-windows-10-speed-ssd-performance

Besides getting a speedy processor and as much RAM as you can afford, a Solid State Drive (SSD) also plays a very important role in making your PC fast. However, an SSD will stay on it best performance and last longer only if it's properly maintained.
TRIM is an ATA command set that was originally designed for the purpose of keeping a Solid State Drive at its optimal performance throughout its lifespan.
The TRIM feature allows Windows 10, or any supported operating system, to notify an SSD which blocks of data are no longer in use and can be safely wiped out to be writable again. Having this operation done ahead of time improves performance, as the drive won't have to spend time erasing a particular block when space is needed to store new data, ensuring the SSD reaches its advertised lifespan.
While the operating system should properly detect and enable TRIM automatically, sometimes this may not happen. In this Windows 10 guide, we'll show you the commands to make sure TRIM is configured and how to enable it when it's not.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Two programs:

Ccleaner

and

SystemNinja

In SystemNinja don't delete folder configs. I think that option is in Ccleaner too.