• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

SSD going bad or bad Windows update?

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Alright so....

On the 3rd.... I woke my PC up and decided to reboot it before getting into a Game. It then blue screened twice....

I believe the error was Unmountable boot volume and or something about the file system? I should have jotted it down or checked the logs.

My username wouldn't log in. I logged into the Admin name, ran chkdsk it found errors. The drive seemed to be corrupted badly. Couldn't go into Windows settings and what not.

I tried to do a clean system refresh but it wouldn't finish as the drive was badly corrupted.

I had a 5 year Warranty on the drive so I contacted them and asked and they decided to send a replacement.

So while waiting for the drive I decided to pop in the USB stick with Windows 10 and do a clean install that way just to see. Which the drive seems fine? I ran some scans on the drive and nothing bad seems to be turning up? No errors or anything....

So I'm confused if the drive is going bad or Windows had an update (from the CPU exploit stuff) and it borked everything?

Replacement drive already came in. I was sure it was hosed due to the Blue screens and such.... Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to RMA it.

Bizarre.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
I did and it said it was fine. I guess I jumped the gun. Oops.... *Face palm*

It hasn't BSOD'd since I clean installed. Performance test also reported the correct read & write speed.

Yeah it was a 240gb OCZ Trion 150 (got in mid 2016). They replaced it with a 480gb OCZ Vector 150. I hope it's as reliable as the Trion 150 (if this one isn't hosed in someway). As I heard Toshiba really improved the brand than what it used to be and this seems to be an older model.

It seemed like the drive went toast. However again now I am unsure and feel bad for jumping the gun on RMAing it.

However I don't know if this was caused by Windows or something failing in the drive? Could something be going funky that say crystal disk info didn't pick up?

ASK THE COMMUNITY