SSD "died"....? Maybe?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
So last night my computer started freezing, blue screening for some reason, and I decided to run through some checks. Eventually I narrowed it down to the SSD as the thing is barely responsive and I can't copy files out of it using even a Linux Live USB without the whole thing seizing up.

So the disk is "readable", and I can look through the directory structure and everything. However, any attempts to backup anything on the drive is unsuccessful as the drive seizes up when I attempt to do so. I noticed that this only happens for SOME files: I was able to back up certain things like my firefox bookmarks and a few other documents here and there.

Is my SSD truly dead? Or is it salvagable?

Could a bad SATA cable cause this?

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I've found that placing a dying drive in a powered dock sometimes allows for you to recover the files before it dies completely.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
For SMART info, get crystaldiskinfo (free) and post a screenshot.

i've had two x25-m's do this. you literally have to not hit the bad sector(s) like old drives.

touch the sector(s) with problems and whole device freezes.

not the easiest to deal with since addressing is all based on lookup tables so anyone sector could be on the "bad spot" purely random.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
could not get crystal disk installed on the OS itself: the system seizes up every time I try.

Read about a mobile version so got that on a thumb drive and tested it. The drive showed all green but seized up as I was taking a screenshot... Sorry but I don't believe the SMART report is going to be accurate at this point.

I'm going to pop this in a drive toaster to rule out the possibility that it's the motherboard's malfunction hopefully on tuesday when I get it in the mail.

Is there a way to check/fix SSD's bad sectors? Does CHKDSK work on SSDs?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Some updates. Was able to read the SSD off a dock and rescue my files. However, any attempts to use/delete stuff off the disk makes the thing seize up. (tried to delete some stuff and the drive just seized up)

Since this thing is still within warranty I'm going to try to RMA it. What's a good way to wipe the data?